Solo update 2.1.0

I have isolate the problem to my android tablet. When I installed the app on my iPad Air it ran just fine and never disconnected. So I Jubair is correct, it is a setting problem with the android tablet with the wifi searching all the time. I even went as far as to uninstall and reintall the app on my android and the problem still exists.

It is also not just isolate to the Solo app but also the tower app, so it has to be an issue with the android OS. I have emailed 3DR, but have had not official response as of this afternoon.

I have isolate the problem to my android tablet. When I installed the app on my iPad Air it ran just fine and never disconnected. So I Jubair is correct, it is a setting problem with the android tablet with the wifi searching all the time. I even went as far as to uninstall and reintall the app on my android and the problem still exists.

RSI,

Just for S's&G's, try going into the "Advanced Wi-Fi" Settings and turn off "Scanning always available".

Jerry

Jerry,

It was already turned off for the testing. This was one of the first things I thought of when I realized it was isolated to the android tablet. Still no cigar :(

Another development.......

Running Tower on Android 4.2.2 works perfectly and does not disconnect, same as iOS.

Tower running on Android 5.0 will not stay connected.

This is definitely a OS problem.

RSI,

My Shield is on 5.1.1 . I (and others) had similar issues with my "white" one after an update a while back. Google Play Services may have been part of the issue, check your play services version, I'm on 8.4.89 . I ultimately resolved the issue by doing a factory reset on my pad and immediately turning off "automatic updates" in the apps section of Google Play Store. Since that time I only update what I want to update manually. I only use my pad for flying so it's not an issue. I'm just feeling your pain and trying to throw out some ideas.

Jerry

I have to concur with RSI. Just ran the upgrade today, video went to sh!t on both Tower and Solo App running on Samsung Galaxy S5. Constant video drop outs / pixelation. I've been running two Auto flight pattern surveys everyday for the past week. Video perfect, even out to 3100'. I'm in an area free of WiFi interference. No different setup on the Samsung. Definitely a new problem.

Should have followed my own advice from my Pixhawk days and not upgraded when everything was working fine. Not happy!

Yes +1 on this, there's a horde of hackers out there probably very happy now. And I'm happy to find out what they are coming up with.
My guess is that Solo is becoming a flying Arduino. The hackers will unlikely program directly for Solo, but what should happen is that this Board should set up a new Forum, or dronekit.org should set up a development group for Solo. I am going to spend some time over there and see whether this is happening. 3DR should provide some resource links for us.

Another development.......

Running Tower on Android 4.2.2 works perfectly and does not disconnect, same as iOS.

Tower running on Android 5.0 will not stay connected.

I'm sure you noticed by now, but there is a new 3dr services app 1.5.2 out today.

Maybe check to see if it helps this issue?

Last edited:
My guess is that Solo is becoming a flying Arduino. The hackers will unlikely program directly for Solo, but what should happen is that this Board should set up a new Forum, or dronekit.org should set up a development group for Solo. I am going to spend some time over there and see whether this is happening. 3DR should provide some resource links for us.

solo dev guide
Introduction | 3DR Solo Development Guide

dk discussion
Dronekit - Developer tools for Drones

gitter dk python discussion
dronekit/dronekit-python

gitter dk android discussion
dronekit/dronekit-android

I've updated to the latest version. Display from camera on iphone 6 is messed up. Sometimes shows feed from gopro sometimes just black. Mostly just black. When feed does show it's froze. Not good.

Jerry,

It was already turned off for the testing. This was one of the first things I thought of when I realized it was isolated to the android tablet. Still no cigar :(
I know this is kinda obvious, but have you done a complete power cycle on the Android tablet?

I have the same issue. but I purchased mine at the same time the update came out so I can't say that's what caused it. I opened a ticket and they asked if I've updated my GoPro. Having problems updating my gopro the GoPro app doesn't tell me I need an upgrade but I also can see what Firmware version is currently on it. I'm sure this is not a GoPro issue now that I see you have the same problem controller as soon as I turn on video is bounces back and forth "Searching for Solo, Fly, Searching for GPS" it does this ever 2 seconds.

I have the same issue. but I purchased mine at the same time the update came out so I can't say that's what caused it. I opened a ticket and they asked if I've updated my GoPro. Having problems updating my gopro the GoPro app doesn't tell me I need an upgrade but I also can see what Firmware version is currently on it. I'm sure this is not a GoPro issue now that I see you have the same problem controller as soon as I turn on video is bounces back and forth "Searching for Solo, Fly, Searching for GPS" it does this ever 2 seconds.
is updated GoPro a good thing or a bad thing? Can I revert back to the last version?

is updated GoPro a good thing or a bad thing? Can I revert back to the last version?
You MUST update your GoPro firmware to the latest version. It's an absolute requirement to work (properly) with the Solo app.

Also, it's a good thing whether you use Solo or not. So yes, update firmware.

Last edited:
In my case, it's not the GoPro firmware version that is causing a problem. I have checked for an update (again today), and there is none, mine is up to date. I was having connect issues when I first received my Solo three weeks ago. I did the GoPro Firmware update then and it worked perfectly for two weeks. As of this week when I did the Solo firmware update (App / Solo remote), it definitely indicated the (Solo App) update would improve video transmission (I am assuming between the Solo and the handheld transmitter). This is surely not the case (at least not with my equipment, Hero 4 Black and Samsung Galaxy 5S). Something has changed (and not for the better) for the Video WiFi packet TX/RX.

In my opinion, it is between the Solo and the handheld TX because video works fine out to about 150', after that, black screen and video lock-up. It would be nice to be able to revert to the previous version. Though stopping video record when you land / power-down the props is a nice feature, it sucks not having video for flight.

In my case, it's not the GoPro firmware version that is causing a problem. I have checked for an update (again today), and there is none, mine is up to date. I was having connect issues when I first received my Solo three weeks ago. I did the GoPro Firmware update then and it worked perfectly for two weeks. As of this week when I did the Solo firmware update (App / Solo remote), it definitely indicated the (Solo App) update would improve video transmission (I am assuming between the Solo and the handheld transmitter). This is surely not the case (at least not with my equipment, Hero 4 Black and Samsung Galaxy 5S). Something has changed (and not for the better) for the Video WiFi packet TX/RX.

In my opinion, it is between the Solo and the handheld TX because video works fine out to about 150', after that, black screen and video lock-up. It would be nice to be able to revert to the previous version. Though stopping video record when you land / power-down the props is a nice feature, it sucks not having video for flight.
Antenna's secure?

I have the same problem with my Kindle Fire 7 2015.
Not that it was problem free before the update, it would "disconnect" about every minute, but only when streaming video. If I had my GoPro disconnected, it would run for ever.
I have several tablets and before the update all but my Nexus 7 2012 showed the above problem (1 minute disconnects) now after the update my Nexus 7, and S4 mini are fine the Kindle Fire 7 is not. (the remainder have not been tested yet)
But the interesting thing is that I ran DronePan today on my Kindle Fire 7 and it worked just fine while the Solo app was disconnecting every 2 seconds.
I've re-installed and cleared data and cache from both the app and 3DR Services to no avail...
IMHO it is an app problem, I need to connect up ADB and see if there are any interesting messages coming out of the app while all this is going on.
This is sitting on the bench, no signal level issue, and the GoPro is disconnected.

Antennas are tight. There is something that was changed in the streaming API.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig