Solo unexpected hard landing.

Reaction score
Hi All,

Had a my firs Solo crash (in fact it was hard landing) yesterday and would like to ask community for suggestions why this happened ;) . Filled support ticked to 3DR, they responded very quick (almost immediately, taking into account that yesterday was holidays in US) and I was also impressed how Solo well handled impact. So, decription of problem (in facts, it's modified crash explanation I send to 3DR), video and crash logs (crash in log no.4):
I wanted to make video using cable cam, Solo flew into point A and I marked it. Then Solo flew into point B (point A was about 120m, wanted to make B lover, so descended to about 50meters) I also marked it. Pressed button to start cable cam and Solo suddenly started to descend rapidly, but It was not free fall. It took few seconds Solo to land. Also, saw battery suddenly dropped down from 64% to 0 on Solo controller and then back to about 60-63%. Solo landed quit hard, bounced and flipped over. As I can see currently, no visual damages (one of legs rubber end was pushed a little bit), but gimbal's protective foam is fitting very tight now, so maybe gimbal is little bent, but not sure about this. Gopro is OK. Made a test flight after inspecting everything: Solo, gimbal and gopro seem working OK from the first sight, but it was only short few minutes flight on remaining battery Solo failed with. Before this crash flight I saw green motor pod light right after take-off (rear right motor pod). Landed immediatelly, rebooted Solo: lights turn OK, started, made few short test flights: no warning again so went for a normal flight and this happens. This is second time I saw green light on same motor pod. Could not find meaning of one green pod light in both: Solo manual and 3DR website. Also rear left (not the same as with green light on it) motor looks a little suspicious to me now: as I wrote Solo flying OK, but it sound different than other three motors when turning by hand, I' suspecting bearings problems on it, but not sure it's crash releated. This Solo is almost new for a total flight time less than 6 hours.
Inspected logs, it's my first time I looked at logs, so not a lot of expierence here, but log shows double battery drain (from about 10-15A to 20-25A and even more) when stability problems happens. It leads me to conclusion, that motor bearing could fail, resistance increased and rpm's became lower, but Solo was trying to maintain stability and increase failing motor rpm's and this leads to significant current consumption increase. But I can be wrong, of course. Maybe it's some bug in cable cam software, because problems started after marked point B.
So, dear All, any suggestions?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Flight logs:
logs.zip

You know some of these cool features seem to have quirks in them. I was showing off the follow me mode to my kids, with my son it worked ok not perfect, but when I turn the function back on for my daughter to try, the solo stayed in a hover and started glitching. I hit fly and the glitching stopped. Continued to fly it for another 10 min with no incident. I hope everything works out for you.

Reactions: Nerius
Brief look at the log looks like battery or motor failure. Strangely, current dropped to 0 3 times and also spiked as high as 30a. in that few seconds. But at the same time, battery voltage never wavered from normal, but your remaining battery spiked 3 times to 100%.

Reactions: Nerius
Brief look at the log looks like battery or motor failure. Strangely, current dropped to 0 3 times and also spiked as high as 30a. in that few seconds. But at the same time, battery voltage never wavered from normal, but your remaining battery spiked 3 times to 100%.

Thank you for explanation Jubalr.

One failed, another suspicious: they will send me two motor pods for replacement. And this is after less than 6 hours of flight. Anyone can still argue 3DR are using good motors? [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

I had something the same. They told me that it wasn't under warranty because i was flying at -8c and the Operating temperature was 0- 45c. They told me it was motor pod 3 as well. Alas it flies fine. When i look at the logs i got a big differential in the Compass (Magnetic Interference). So im out 1 prop. But 3Dr did NOTHING for me. But offer an RMA and I PAY for the motor pod and I replace it. pfftt some customer support.

I had something the same. They told me that it wasn't under warranty because i was flying at -8c and the Operating temperature was 0- 45c. They told me it was motor pod 3 as well. Alas it flies fine. When i look at the logs i got a big differential in the Compass (Magnetic Interference). So im out 1 prop. But 3Dr did NOTHING for me. But offer an RMA and I PAY for the motor pod and I replace it. pfftt some customer support.

Sorry for yours bad expierence: mine was excellent. No problems with customer support for me: they was very quick, informotive and generous (I send support ticket on monday, got reply same day, they told will send replacement pods yesterday). Hope to receive replacements soon. But I really worrying about motors quality now.

By the way Canada is very beautiful country with nice people living here: visited Alberta and British Columbia 3 times and fell in love with this country! Ocean side and mountains landscapes are gorgeous and one of the nicest places in the entire world!

Reactions: CanadianSolo
This is not the first time I have heard of Motor Pod 3 causing a crash. I had a Motor Pod 3 failure too which led to my crash. Unfortunately I have been waiting for my SOLO to come back since late November. @3DR Support says it in the shipping department but I have yet to see it happen.

This is not the first time I have heard of Motor Pod 3 causing a crash. I had a Motor Pod 3 failure too which led to my crash. Unfortunately I have been waiting for my SOLO to come back since late November. @3DR Support says it in the shipping department but I have yet to see it happen.

Same here: still no shipping tracking number for replacement motor pods. Will contact 3DR by the end of this week if still will not receive it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44