Reaction score
I have everything connected to a 3DR Solo with gimbal but cannot get the GoPro Hero4 Black to record. I can see what it is looking at, the gimbal is tilting with the controller, the drone is flying, but the message on the controller is "Recording Inactive?"

What am I doing wrong?

There is a memory card, I manually started the camera recording and placed it in the gimbal, it shut down about 20 seconds into the flight. I am trying to get the camera set in the solo app, however it is crashing for some reason just prior to selecting the camera.

No need to start the recording prior to install in the gimbal. I assume you are on GP FW 5.0, so you'll have to manually turn on the GP when turning on Solo, but then most other controls can be executed via the controller or app.

Having the camera fail after 20 sec. sounds familiar, bad or failed memory card. You may want to format the card in the camera as remedy or install another card to confirm another issue. Users have found a micro SD card of a minimum rating of U3 is a must for any UHD level video, otherwise the card has a hard time keeping up.

Reactions: johnultimate
The microsd is a very high quality card recommended for use in the GoPro 4. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Solo app a couple times. When you get to the "fly" menu in the app and it asks to select the camera being used the app crashes. Any thoughts? I don't know enough to know if the problem is the camera (refurb), the gimbal, or the Solo Drone.

Everything else works fine, the gimbal tilts, the camera provides its viewpoint in realtime, the drone flies. The recording menu is inactive.

Sounds like there is a conflict within the GP, the app for most part is fairly solid. You don't mention if using Android or iOS app....not that it makes a difference.

Follow this startup sequence.

Start Solo
Start GP, once the GP is booted then...
Start the controller, once the controller is booted (...waiting for Solo) then..
Start your app, allow the app to connect fully to Solo before going to the FLY screen

If the above fails; beg or borrow another GP to test further. And fwiw, "high quality card" means nothing. Brand, series, rating and size does....not all "high quality cards" are made equal. Just trying to help, but you need to provide details to find a solution. Good luck.

Reactions: johnultimate
I have also reformatted the MicroSD in the camera to make sure it's not an issue with the card. It is capable of recording just fine when manually handling the camera.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig