Solo questions before I buy

Reaction score
Before I pull the trigger on a solo I have a few questions:

Will Geofencing ever be required? Since I live near an airport but right on the border of DJI's no-fly zone I'm basically going the 3DR route and not DJI since they pretty much screwed a lot of their customers. Not planning on doing anything irresponsible but being able to do roof inspections in my neighborhood is top priority. So I would need to fly 50 feet max above the ground.

Can the Solo be flown in dry weather during the winter months? I didn't see operating temperatures on the solo facts page. Maybe I missed it.

Will there be an updated version of the Solo due to the GPS problems some people are experiencing? Seen some videos of people having to place cardboard in their solos to fix GPS problems.

Thanks

Some of the early Solos had the GPS copper too close to the feedline from the antenna, given it was spotted a while ago any Solos going from the factory will have this resolved, any customer that has a GPS problem due to this will have it sorted by 3DR for free or they can mod it themselves if they want.

From the feedback in general from the Arducopter community I don't believe 3DR would ever put on a geofence that couldn't be turned off, they've always provided the choice with the parameters to turn features on and off. There's also a lot of hassle, overhead and cost in maintaining a correct geofence system, so it's not in their interest either, arguably. What I do know, if it ever happened it'd be hacked in a day... o_O;):p

Dry weather in winter months is fine, I would suggest though leaving the copter outside 5 minutes before take off to allow the IMUs to adjust to the temperature change, say for example from leaving a warm house or car.

Some of the early Solos had the GPS copper too close to the feedline from the antenna, given it was spotted a while ago any Solos going from the factory will have this resolved, any customer that has a GPS problem due to this will have it sorted by 3DR for free or they can mod it themselves if they want.

From the feedback in general from the Arducopter community I don't believe 3DR would ever put on a geofence that couldn't be turned off, they've always provided the choice with the parameters to turn features on and off. There's also a lot of hassle, overhead and cost in maintaining a correct geofence system, so it's not in their interest either, arguably. What I do know, if it ever happened it'd be hacked in a day... o_O;):p

Dry weather in winter months is fine, I would suggest though leaving the copter outside 5 minutes before take off to allow the IMUs to adjust to the temperature change, say for example from leaving a warm house or car.
Agreed with above.

The only thing I would say is that in winter, leave your drone out even longer than 5 minutes. Based on experience with 3DR Itis+, I recommend at least 15 minutes minimum. I actually leave mine out in the car overnight if i can. The barometer (sometimes) gets messed up if you don't let it sit for awhile. Everything else isn't as sensitive. So that's just the solo, not the batteries. Always keep your batteries warm. When I'm out in the cold I pack my spares in a an insulated bag with hand warmers. At the very least keep a spare in an inner pocket where your body warmth will help. Swapping in a cold battery in cold weather is a recipe for 4 minute flight times. (When I say cold, I mean cold - temps between -10F and 20F. Above 20 you still need to be careful and keep batteries warm, but not as big a deal)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc