SOLO mod that silences props to record audio

Reaction score
Looking for the video posted about a prop balance or code mod that silenced the props so you could record audio. That ring a bell with anyone?

I seriously doubt there is such a thing. Have you run your motors with no blades installed? They're quite loud on their own.

I seriously doubt there is such a thing. Have you run your motors with no blades installed? They're quite loud on their own.

It can definitely be done, there's a video floating around with a great demo. It was a mod with some sort of code that was installed, I'm not exactly sure how, but I'll dig around and find that video. just wondering if anyone here has seen it recently.

1. mount larger props (11") larger=lower rpm=les prop noise
2. balance properly

Looking for the video posted about a prop balance or code mod that silenced the props so you could record audio. That ring a bell with anyone?

Jet,

I do remember the video. There was a lot of speculation floating around at the time that it was a fake. Haven't seen anything further about it so I'm assuming it went bust.

Jerry

Reactions: Raybro
1. mount larger props (11") larger=lower rpm=les prop noise
2. balance properly
Which, in a quad config leads to less yaw control and less accurate altitude control and the craft wont be as agile, but yes, slightly quieter. Not really worth the trade off.

Which, in a quad config leads to less yaw control and less accurate altitude control and the craft wont be as agile, but yes, slightly quieter. Not really worth the trade off.
Actually it is.
Depends on the quality of the props used.
I fly Graupner eProps11x5" on my Solo. Besides less noise you get about 10% more flight time as a bonus :)

you can't stop the sound of the motors or propellers what you can do is editing the sound of your recording, you can remove or add any sound you want.

Actually it is.
Depends on the quality of the props used.
I fly Graupner eProps11x5" on my Solo. Besides less noise you get about 10% more flight time as a bonus :)
did you add anything else to the props to fit in the drone?

Lol. The "mod" cuts the remote video feed audio so you only hear his mic. It probably needs to be installed because your B button is hard wired to the function. Total BS. I'm pretty sure the controller isn't open source so it's not a software hack.

Lol. The "mod" cuts the remote video feed audio so you only hear his mic. It probably needs to be installed because your B button is hard wired to the function. Total BS. I'm pretty sure the controller isn't open source so it's not a software hack.

I'll add that the hardware probably has some kind of noise reduction filter that cuts the frequencies of the motors, although that would add considerably to the cost. Filtering the prop noise using Logic Pro wouldn't be terribly difficult. It wouldn't be perfect, but mix a remote mic feed in & it'd be pretty good.

Solo, and all other quads that I know of, have fixed pitch props. Reduce the RPM and lift is reduced. PERIOD! There is simply no practical way to reduce the sound generated by the prop. It is the rotation of the props and engines that make the majority of the noise and sets the pitch; the movement of the air supplies the rest. Many would think that you could do the same engineering that has dramatically reduced the noise of jet engines over the past 40-50 years. Fact is, that over time, improvements in design changed the operating principle of the engines from turbojet to turbofan. In the original engines there were 4 stages to the production of thrust: suck, squeeze, bang and blow. All the parts turned at really high RPM and the noise was incredible. Newer turbofan engines develop thrust by having a turbine engine power a large diameter fan, mounted on the front of the engine, that turns much slower and moves a hell of a lot more air much more quietly while developing way more thrust. Back a few years ago there was a TV show where Blue Thunder, the shows helicopter, was equipped with Whisper Mode. That was fiction then and remains the goal to every helicopter designer in the world. Great progress has been made over the years but don't expect to see any of that stuff on a $1000 drone any time soon. The only glimpse we got of it was the picture of the tail rotor on the crashed Army Blackhawk on the Bin Laden raid.

Everybody. One more time:

This video was a joke. A joke plain and simple. There is no reason to break it down and analyze it. He's a goofy guy that does goofy videos.

Reactions: Jubalr and Raybro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44