Solo Loss of power and crash with .bin file video, and MP Screenshots. Cause?

Reaction score
Was using the Solo to capture some aerial footage of a wedding venue. Solo appeared to be working fine until it suddenly began losing altitude and I had zero control of the copter. In the video you can hear a faint noise just before the copter veers left and begins to descend rapidly. I submitted a ticket to 3DR. I'm not familiar with the logs, but there are multiple errors. Any idea what caused this crash?

Link to BIN file on my Google Drive:
204.BIN

Link to crash video on YouTube:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yeah, had that happened just a couple minutes sooner, it would have landed in the water. Solo powers up and looks fine - even the gimbal is showing a green light and works, but I won't feel comfortable flying it again until I figure out what caused the crash.

Some screenshots from Mission Planner

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    739.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    122.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    127.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    123.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    128 KB · Views: 43
Some screenshots from Mission Planner
It's all Greek to me. Hopefully @Pedals2Paddles will check this out. He's our resident expert on this stuff.

I definitely wouldn't fly again until the cause of the problem is determined and fixed. I'm inclined to think a motor failure is to blame, or some kind of power brownout of the main board caused partial power loss to one or more of the motors.

Or something else broke.o_O

Reactions: reelcrazyfish
That is very smooth crash footage. Must be/was a great gimbal. From the footage (can't help with logs) I would think you lost about 1/3 of a prop. Had you lost a motor most quads on the market would have inverted. That is because of a defect built into all 6 axis stabilizers.

As you can see in the video, the drone hit a cedar tree which really helped slow the fall and it hit the ground rather soft. The gimbal shows a solid green light, indicating it's fine - and not a single prop was broken. I tested the drone with the props off in the yard and everything appears to be functional, but I really need to diagnose the issue before I'll feel safe flying again.

Now that you have Mission Planner working, maybe try it again, but stay close in, and close to the ground, just to see what errors show up. First pic of Mission Planner shows compass and GPS failure, maybe that was after the crash, I'm no expert on that stuff. What was your battery level? and how long had you been flying, before the incident?

Maybe the log guys will know. Until then I amend the cause to be a bad motor bearing. That problem might not show up when not under load(with props off). You can get 4 pods on ebay for $58 and another set is arriving for me today. A parachute is another work around.

Reactions: reelcrazyfish
Now that you have Mission Planner working, maybe try it again, but stay close in, and close to the ground, just to see what errors show up. First pic of Mission Planner shows compass and GPS failure, maybe that was after the crash, I'm no expert on that stuff. What was your battery level? and how long had you been flying, before the incident?

Thanks Frank. I've never actually "flown" with Mission Planner, just the solo app. I only started dabbling in Mission Planner after the accident to try and figure out what went wrong. I've been flying this solo since December with no issues, that particular day I was flying for about 5 minutes before the incident. Battery level was roughly 60-70%. I'm hoping to hear from 3DR soon and will amend this post once I hear from them.

Maybe the log guys will know. Until then I amend the cause to be a bad motor bearing. That problem might not show up when not under load(with props off). You can get 4 pods on ebay for $58 and another set is arriving for me today. A parachute is another work around.

Great idea. I actually bought a whole new drone when they went on sale and I have that waiting in a closet. I'll look into the parachute option - hadn't considered that before. Thanks!

I didn't have enough time to look deeply into the log. But it appears to show a mechanical failure if one of the motors. But only a partial loss of thrust as opposed to complete. I think the compass error occurred after it crashed.

I didn't have enough time to look deeply into the log. But it appears to show a mechanical failure if one of the motors. But only a partial loss of thrust as opposed to complete. I think the compass error occurred after it crashed.

I appreciate any info you might be able to gleam from it. I was able to open the Bin file on my wife's PC laptop with a small screen, but NOT using Mission Planner (or AP2?) on my Mac - something about a bad column. I got frustrated looking at the graphs on that small screen and haven't dug into trying to figure out what's going on trying to load the file on the Mac.

I get this message when trying to open the bin file in APM Planner 2 on my mac:

"Error preparing insertquery: R10C table R10C has no column named pitch_pwm Unable to execute statement"

Just wanted to follow up on this thread.
Heard from 3DR today - they confirmed there was a mechanical failure and said they would be in touch in a day or two with replacement info.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo