NOOBS (That be me) and the Green Cube

Reaction score
P2P has been an enormous help deciphering some strange new GP behavior as it applies to the GC namely it won't turn on or off even with v3 and the gimble engaging and the resetting in the Solo boot up. Hopefully I can get some more good guidance with my concerns since a crash at the end of my shakedown flight after installing the GC. I tried this on a couple of the FB sites but it was pretty much ignored. The link I post with my Crash and post crash logs in my Google Drive got 113 hits but no takers. So here it goes-

Installed Paul D's HERE kit about a month ago on the 2.0 PH with incredible results. When I installed the GC I messed up and didn't run the IMX file before swapping out the PH. With good advice I reverted back to the 2.0 did the reset and started over with what appeared to be success. Did the IMU/Compass Cals and confirmed my Compass_Orient param was set to 0. Took it out into my little 50ft green patch here at home and flew a very short flight just to see if everything worked. (despite the overhanging maple I pulled a .6 out of 21 SATs, crazy)

On 8/17 I launched from the park with a .6 on 13 SATs per my Solex HUD data. Did some low circles and put it up to 358' feet for a one lap video pano and back down. Brought it back to Home taking note of the flight stats. Now 10+ minutes (38% Battery) into the flight I started another quick fly around and clipped some low hanging twigs on a tree 20' from me (yeah really stupid). I'm sure if this didn't happen 6' off the deck the Solo would have recovered but it went in and flipped. No apparent damage. Did my Preflight and relaunched. Normal boot/arming but a limp gimble. It took three or four reboots but the gimble did finally engage and has ever since. (This was part of my GP concerns that P2P put to rest) I did one more launch with good boot/arm. Low to the deck and close up. Sticks were sluggish, and when I gave forward only (right stick) the Solo would veer to the left. Did this twice to make sure it wasn't me and put the bird back in the box.

Here's where I'm at. I have confirmed the bird is running Ardu 3.5.0 and did several DataFlash Auto Analysis of the crash and subsequent flights. (see text doc attached to this post) I see some fails. One in particular (I think) reports my first flight never armed despite reporting to Solex it did (13 SATs/.8) and sanctioned the launch. There were light breezes and at 358' it held rock solid taking the pano. There was no indication I was flying sans GPS guidance.

Here is the link to my cloud that has two folders (tlogs and Bin files) Logs - Google Drive

I'm attaching a text file of the MP Analysis and a couple screen shots of the Crash and Post Crash flights. The photo of the post flight shows the veering I experienced.

This is as far as my paygrade can take me. As to reading the logs, I haven't a clue what I'm looking at. I did connect to the Solo in MP and was able to confirm the heading and level is spot on.

If I can get some sort of assurance that I'm good to go or perhaps some good guidance on where to go from here I will be most appreciative! So sorry about the novel.

Attachments

• MP Analysis GC Shakedown 8-17-17.txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Sololog.2 Post Crash Veering.JPG
    Sololog.2 Post Crash Veering.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 57
  • Sololog.6 Crash.JPG
    Sololog.6 Crash.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 57
Yikes! Guess I came to the wrong trough. Not sure I have ever come across a plea for help that was completely shunned. Perhaps I provided too much detail.

I launched yesterday mostly to get some additional flight data. Turns out the GP still resets in bootup which doesn't seem to be a problem. More interesting is that more times than not the GP does power up and done with Solo. What bothers me is this is inconsistent which indicates to me some sort of conflict.

Major battery level issue. Not sure if this is just my install but after some low and close flying I put it up to 250' to get some additional data with 87% battery. Out of nowhere I get the red 1% Battery on the HUD followed by the Credit Card message. I spiraled in as fast as I could to a normal landing. I put my madhacker battery tester on and it reported 75%. Replaced the battery with a fresh one and back up low and close. Battery read out on HUD erratically switches between 1% and actual charge. Not sure if this will show up on the logs or not.

Today (this is the third crash since the GC upgrade) coming in for a normal landing and wound up smashing into the pavilion roof behind me. I have been flying 2 Solos over 18 months on my original props. That said, I have no way of knowing if I was at fault in each of the three post GC crashes but take full responsibility until (if) the logs prove otherwise. Amazingly none of the damage was serious and easy to repair. Needless to say the GC gets put in the hangar. Hopefully I'm not the only one so I will sign off and keep a out a sharp eye here and on the Groups. Sorry for my bother. I would delete this thread if I could. If the Mods can, have at it.

Last edited:
I think the post is fine here, just shouldn't expect the diy'ers replying to trouble shooting request. Just too many variables why things aren't working, especially after a crash.

It's likely you mucked up the battery data connection in someway during the transplant or from a crash. I re-soldered the main board's battery data connector to resolve my battery issue. The fine wires terminated at the battery bus were also re-soldered.

fwiw, the hdmi cable is secured beneath the battery's data connector on the main board. When I was trouble shooting the issue, I noticed that the solder pins through the board had indented the hdmi cable's jacket. I tested for continuity at these holes, but the blunt probes showed no shorting, assuming to the grounded shielding. My resolution was to place a spacer between the hdmi cable and the main board where the tie wrap secures the cable. It actually improved the hdmi cable's alignment to the connector on the iMX6 board, so it ended up as a purposed solution. Just an observation, not sure it was an issue....

I think the post is fine here, just shouldn't expect the diy'ers replying to trouble shooting request. Just too many variables why things aren't working, especially after a crash.

It's likely you mucked up the battery data connection in someway during the transplant or from a crash. I re-soldered the main board's battery data connector to resolve my battery issue. The fine wires terminated at the battery bus were also re-soldered.

fwiw, the hdmi cable is secured beneath the battery's data connector on the main board. When I was trouble shooting the issue, I noticed that the solder pins through the board had indented the hdmi cable's jacket. I tested for continuity at these holes, but the blunt probes showed no shorting, assuming to the grounded shielding. My resolution was to place a spacer between the hdmi cable and the main board where the tie wrap secures the cable. It actually improved the hdmi cable's alignment to the connector on the iMX6 board, so it ended up as a purposed solution. Just an observation, not sure it was an issue....
Thanks Rich for your reply. I'll know not to bother these guys in the future. Glad to at least understand that my battery readout issue is mine alone and not a glitch in the FW. One thing my GC expierence taught me is I should have not jumped in until I was much more experienced. I'm still not sure what if anything may have gone wrong in the whole GC update. Been flying two birds18 months on original props and had three crashes in 8 sorties post GC. I put the GC/Here away in working order for when I accumulate some more smarts. Got a RevB/V2 to fly in the meantime. Thanks again for jumping in. I really appreciate it!

I'm not interested in doing a diy bird at the moment, I kind of prefer the RTF concept as it is less involved. I'm sure the GC will mature to become more user approachable in the near future, but at present it's more than I want to tackle time or knowledge wise.

The stock Solo meets my needs, but then I'm just doing this as a hobby. I have a solid bird that performs at 99.9% of the time, plug in a battery and I'm off flying...which works for me just fine.

I am not sure exactly what the question is, sounds like your current sensor is not reading correctly?

I am not sure exactly what the question is, sounds like your current sensor is not reading correctly?
Hey pyrate! Yup. It does then doesn't which scares me. Despite the indicated 1% charge and the Credit Card lady's verbal warning there is no attempt at an autonomous RTH. Happens with multiple batteries. The final crash I had was coming in from a low and close sortie to watch the HUD report the battery charge between 1% and the actual charge. I approached my LZ as I always do. Leveled off and Boom! Next thing I know it took off and smashed into the pavilion I was standing in front of. Happen so quick I can't be sure it was my fault or not but at this point I'm gonna say it was. Just with the GP acting all silly coupled with this battery thing I have no confidence and so I packed her away and brought out the RevB/V2 bird to pay with.

Not sure if you caught my vid on FB. Amazingly the mighty Solo came out of this pretty much unscathed. After I put it back together I did a quicky in 50' front yard. Flew fine but still doing the battery thing.

Green Cube Crash

Last edited:
I had something similar happen early on in the GC change, Flying one of the first versions. Mine ended up being a bad battery.
Here are a couple things to try
Take the battery out of the controller to rese it
Then try reloading all the parameters fresh and do a reboot.
For some reason the parameters sometimes do not all write correctly.
You could pull your logs on the flight, and also use MP to read your battery setting on the table, then compare the voltage reading right off the battery to what the sensor is reading,
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hey pyrate back at you. Ouch! I hope your whoops fared as good as mine did.
Just to get it my thick skull. I yank the controller battery which resets it. (Funny, I have seen this advice a hundred times and never understood the significance of pulling the battery.) Once the controller is reset then using Solex I simply rerun all but the IMX Python file? Does doing this overwrite the existing ones from my initial install? I'm scared that I will brick the bird if I do something wrong.

As far as reading the tlogs, I haven't a clue what I'm looking for or at. There are two folders in my Logs Cloud folder one for each crash. 8/17 (clipped a tree and fell 6') crash was what I started this thread with and the 8/25 crash is the one where I smacked the pavilion. The crazy battery readings happened in the 8/25 flights. The logs for the 8/25 (into the pavilion) crash will seem weird as I was so shook up I never shut the solo down after the crash. I moved it to a table under the pavilion and didn't power it down for at least 5 minutes while I tried to break the two shattered prop hubs off the motors. The Here never stop flashing green the whole time even though it was laying under the Solo on it's side under the metal roof pavilion. Amazing.

If you can give the logs a look-see that will be fantastic and incredibly appreciated but I MORE than understand if you feel compelled to walk away from all of my craziness. Logs - Google Drive

I will tell you the events leading up to my incident most likely involved a crash with that bad battery. I have 6 and must admit I did not keep up with which battery died like yours. But I suspect the battery that behaved like yours was indeed the one I dropped through a 60 foot high tree onto a metal roof. It was hard enough to break the battery lose and destroy the battery tray.
Does this behavior exhibit on more than one battery?
If so we need to look somewhere else. If not then I sadly suspect that like me you have a damaged battery. I have been meaning to put mine on a DIY charger and try to recover it. Just have not had the time.

By the way, it is not the IMX files you need to reflash
Its the parameter files, so open MP, connect to solo, load parameters from file, and point it to the param file P2P provided. Then do several reboots. Then recalibrate

I will tell you the events leading up to my incident most likely involved a crash with that bad battery. I have 6 and must admit I did not keep up with which battery died like yours. But I suspect the battery that behaved like yours was indeed the one I dropped through a 60 foot high tree onto a metal roof. It was hard enough to break the battery lose and destroy the battery tray.
Does this behavior exhibit on more than one battery?
If so we need to look somewhere else. If not then I sadly suspect that like me you have a damaged battery. I have been meaning to put mine on a DIY charger and try to recover it. Just have not had the time.

By the way, it is not the IMX files you need to reflash
Its the parameter files, so open MP, connect to solo, load parameters from file, and point it to the param file P2P provided. Then do several reboots. Then recalibrate

Back at you pyrate-
Again thanks for hanging in there with me. The 1% to actual charge back to 1% and so on fluctuation occurs with several batteries. In my case I proved it is not a defective battery or a poorly charged battery (as I have see several folks experience) by merit of having the madhacker battery analyzer so I am certain that the batteries are in excellent condition and in each case had more than a 75% charge when the spp was reporting the fluctuating 1% charge. I learned today that this fluctuation is well known and several are trying to correct the problem. As I described even when the HUD was reporting 1% the Solo made no attempt to RTH. I safely landed normally and using the battery tester I determined I did in fact have a 75% charge. I never experienced this before installing the GC but I'm told this has been a problem for some time and the GC is not at fault. Ditto on the gimble issues I am having. As you also explained these are not quirks of the GC.

I was in hopes that the logs would expose specifically what is happening with the battery charge and gimble operation and if there are any outer failures that might point to my experiencing erratic flight which might have resulted in my crashes.

Back to re-flashing my FW. I did my GC update using the Solex app. So from what you are saying if I repeat the procedure leaving out the IMX flash I won't compromise the system. I'm not well versed using MP. If you are familiar with Solex you know they pretty much made setting up the CG plug and play. I wouldn't have attempted it otherwise. Besides the IMX file that runs before you replace the 2.0PH with the 2.1 there are three files you download into the Solex app and run in succession. (1) Wipe Pixhawk FW then (2) ArduCopter 3.5.0 FW and finally (3) ArduCopter 3.5.0 Parameters My Solo is set up with the HERE so I have to reconfigure the Compass_Orient to 0. To finish up I do several reboots along with the IMU and Level calibrations followed up with a couple more reboots. I missed the part about doing several reboots and only did one which I'm sure had a lot to with my earlier issues. As I progress through several short flights it seemed that the Solo did better which I now attribute to them rebooting for the next launch. .

To be honest now knowing that my battery and gimble issues are commonplace and not GC related I am feeling much more confident with my upgrade. That said, I will take your advice and go through the re-flash procedure as I described above.

I'll be sure to report back how I make out!

Reactions: pyrate
Do your batteries react the same way with your alternate "rev B" solo? ( have you tried the same "problem batteries" in rev B solo?) In your second response, you sounded frustrated over the fact no one chimed in; don't ever think your threads go unnoticed- it's threads like yours, that have kept folks like me from installing our green cube and HERE systems yet. I'm currently staring at them sitting next to the TV. I am sympathetic to your situation, but am also learning as you guys work the "bugs" out the new technology- some successfully, some, not so much.

Hey USMC86! First off thanks for your service. I'm acutely aware that at this stage of the GC's development there can very well be some unresolved issues. I purposely kept this away from the FB Owners Group for that reason so as to not spook anyone that was on the fence especially if this is all my fault so I chose to post on the Beta and Mod Groups but was ignored so I came here. As is obvious I put a lot of effort providing as much detail along with logs with hope that my issues were mine alone. I got some good advice from P2P and pyrate but nothing that lays blame or exposes the how or why.

I did fly my RevB/V2 Solo yesterday and expierenced much of the same as it applies to my battery issues and eratic flight. One of the three flights ended with a post touch down flip which I can't explain. Additionally there is now a red text bar across the top of the Solex HUD that covers the top line of info. I see mention of the red bar and a few fessing up to this crazy battery issue but as of my last visit to the FB Groups yesterday there is no response from those I affectionately dubbed the Smart Guys. So now both my birds are grounded. I have both vids and logs from yesterday but now on a get away in the Finger Lakes with my Pretty so it's going to be awhile before I get to pull the logs and try my best to discern them.

I have formulated a few ideas as to what may be happening but in no position to lay blame. Truth be known I'm leaning away from the GC being the culprit. As to the HERE I flew many very successful sorties on mine and can assure you it's rock solid.

Last edited:
If you're experiencing erratic flight, you should do the following (presuming you use Solex):

1) Reset parameters using the button in the Solex FW Updates menu and reboot.

2) Load the ArduCopter parameters package from the Solex FW Updates menu. If you have the HERE installed, load the here parameter package second. If you have landing gear, load the landing gear package third. Reboot.

3) Do the level calibration. Make sure it is on a stable and level surface like a table. Make sure it is perfectly still when you push the buttons. It helps to count to 5 after you set it down on each orientation before pushing the button. Reboot when complete.

4) Do the compass calibration. This must be done outdoors in an open area away from buildings, vehicles, power lines, fencing, MRI machines, steel grates, reinforced concrete pads, etc. Rotate the solo around on all of its axes. Right side up, on each side, nose up, nose down, upside down, etc. Reboot when complete.

5) Before flight, go through all the vehicle settings in the app. You will need to set your preferences for altitude limits, RTH altitude, geofence, speed sliders, etc etc.

6) Fly. Lift off and hover 6 to 10 feet. Rotate the yaw around a full 360 degrees in both directions. That does an in-flight alignment of the compass. Fly around and make sure it operates as expected.

Report results. I suspect you'll be fine.

The empty red message bar in Solex is a bug Kelly is aware of and will fix in the next release. It should only be there when it is showing you a warning or prearm message.

Thanks. Look in the search box and maybe search 3DR batteries- I thought I saw a thread on how to reset the battery by holding down the button- but don't hold me to this!!! But there are guys on the forum that probably know- P2P knows his s**t. He is one of the guys who takes the time to explain procedures/solutions on the forum- though for a lot of us, it's a little too technical. Just a hobbiest.... just trying to keep my Valentine's Day gift in the air!!

When I was trouble shooting the issue, I noticed that the solder pins through the board had indented the hdmi cable's jacket. I tested for continuity at these holes, but the blunt probes showed no shorting, assuming to the grounded shielding. My resolution was to place a spacer between the hdmi cable and the main board where the tie wrap secures the cable. It actually improved the hdmi cable's alignment to the connector on the iMX6 board, so it ended up as a purposed solution. Just an observation, not sure it was an issue....

One evening, I got the bug to disassemble my bird and double check all the connections. After cutting the zip tie to get the HDMI out, I also found the two wire pin above was digging its way into my HDMI cable. I decided to get the HDMI connector super tight with pliers, and let it rest in the shell...

One evening, I got the bug...
I get those as well, they multiple fast if you don't get them under control....;)

It seems many have found pinching the connector helps the video feed. I'm glad it has worked out for you. The spacer is the results of an observation, the battery was acting weird. My video feed is fine otherwise.

Reactions: J0S0L0
If you're experiencing erratic flight, you should do the following (presuming you use Solex):

1) Reset parameters using the button in the Solex FW Updates menu and reboot.

2) Load the ArduCopter parameters package from the Solex FW Updates menu. If you have the HERE installed, load the here parameter package second. If you have landing gear, load the landing gear package third. Reboot.

3) Do the level calibration. Make sure it is on a stable and level surface like a table. Make sure it is perfectly still when you push the buttons. It helps to count to 5 after you set it down on each orientation before pushing the button. Reboot when complete.

4) Do the compass calibration. This must be done outdoors in an open area away from buildings, vehicles, power lines, fencing, MRI machines, steel grates, reinforced concrete pads, etc. Rotate the solo around on all of its axes. Right side up, on each side, nose up, nose down, upside down, etc. Reboot when complete.

5) Before flight, go through all the vehicle settings in the app. You will need to set your preferences for altitude limits, RTH altitude, geofence, speed sliders, etc etc.

6) Fly. Lift off and hover 6 to 10 feet. Rotate the yaw around a full 360 degrees in both directions. That does an in-flight alignment of the compass. Fly around and make sure it operates as expected.

Report results. I suspect you'll be fine.

The empty red message bar in Solex is a bug Kelly is aware of and will fix in the next release. It should only be there when it is showing you a warning or prearm message.
Hey P2P! Boy is your response a sight for very sore and frustrated eyes. Yes I'm on Solex. I'm away from home for a few days but will follow your instructions upon my return on Saturday.

In 1) above you instruct to reset the Params via button in FW Update Menu. There are four files. 1) IMX 2) Wipe PH FW 3) ArduCopter 3.5.2 FW 4) ArduCopter 3.5.2 Parameters

Which one do I run to reset? 1) 2) 3) or 4)
Then which one comes next? 1) 2) 3) or 4)
Followed up with the Here Compass Params as did upgrade to the HERE.

You talked about some really exciting stuff in the next FW package. Should I wait for it or move up to 3.5.2 along with the re-calibration now?

Totally shamed to have put you through all my stupidity but this has been going on for almost two weeks and I am totally gun shy. Dug myself a hole and seems all I keep doing is digging it deeper.

As most of us I'm in total awe of what you are doing and can't begin to express my appreciation for your dedication to us all!

In 1) above you instruct to reset the Params via button in FW Update Menu. There are four files. 1) IMX 2) Wipe PH FW 3) ArduCopter 3.5.2 FW 4) ArduCopter 3.5.2 Parameters
Which one do I run to reset? 1) 2) 3) or 4)
None. There is a button in FW Updates menu that says Reset Params. Push it then reboot.

Then which one comes next? 1) 2) 3) or 4)
Follow instructions exactly as I outlined after you reset * reboot. In your case you would load the ArduCopter 3.5.x Parameters package, and the HERE package, then reboot.

You talked about some really exciting stuff in the next FW package. Should I wait for it or move up to 3.5.2 along with the re-calibration now?
I might be kicking that out for beta this evening or Friday evening depending on how my test flight goes after work. So if you're not going to work on it until Saturday anyway, you might as well go all out and do the Open Solo upgrade.

None. There is a button in FW Updates menu that says Reset Params. Push it then reboot.
Yikes! Totally missed that button! Of course it's greyed out because I'm not connected to the Solo. If there is anyone dumber then me reading this I really feel sorry for them. I will wait for Open Solo. Thanks again for putting up with this old man!

Follow instructions exactly as I outlined after you reset * reboot. In your case you would load the ArduCopter 3.5.x Parameters package, and the HERE package, then reboot.

I might be kicking that out for beta this evening or Friday evening depending on how my test flight goes after work. So if you're not going to work on it until Saturday anyway, you might as well go all out and do the Open Solo upgrade.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40