Solo GPS Rev A / Rev B Availability... Official

Yes, I reported to Vu a method people were using to steal stuff from the 3dr store and only had to pay shipping. He was thankful and sent a free battery and hoodie. I don't like thieves.
Well deserved. I sure don't consider getting the deal others got stealing especially when all said and done they should be free, seeins how they botched the copper shield.

Well deserved. I sure don't consider getting the deal others got stealing especially when all said and done they should be free, seeins how they botched the copper shield.
It didn't have to do with the shield specifically, or a legitimate discount such as you received.

I won't go into specifics but there was a way to remove stuff from your cart after applying a promo code, and yet still receiving the goods that the code covered and only having to pay the shipping cost, illegitimately receiving the item for free. It was a flaw in their code, which is now fixed.

Yes, I reported to Vu a method people were using to steal stuff from the 3dr store and only had to pay shipping. He was thankful and sent a free battery and hoodie. I don't like thieves, and if enough people do it there won't be a 3dr.

Was that the dude on FB
man that made me mad
Glad you nailed it

Wow,
Maybe Vu Can pass me something for my "Video Feed " fix?
I mean there's more then 30 people saying it worked, it help them & 3DR..
Aw.. It's ok... a Thank you is all i need....
Come to think of it , don't need the thx U ether LOL

I just flew my Solo for the first time after installing the shield, and I can't say that it's done much. I sat, under an open sky, for nearly 10 minutes before getting a GPS lock. It had 9 satellites within a minute, but an HDOP of 2.7. The entire time I flew, the HDOP never got below 1.4. My little practice quad with a cheap as sh!t Ready to Fly Quads M8N gets 12 to 16+ satellites and an HDOP below 2.0 within seconds, and below 1.0 in 2 to 3 minutes.

I know, I know, it's not just the sat count and HDOP, there's this mysterious "timing issues" that are more important than all of that, yet no one can specifically explain them.

I love the Solo, I really do, but the continual GPS issues just sucks. I reinstalled my Drotek M8N, with the new shielding and will give that a try. I was about to fly the Solo manually this morning, but then I'm missing out on the main reason I bought the Solo - Smartshots and the peace of mind of RTL if/when radio signal is lost.

Sorry for the rant, but this is the 1st time I've been able to take my Solo out this year, and it was just frustrating that these issues remain.

Thanks pdxSteve for posting that coupon code!

I just received a new Solo and to my disappointment it came with the Rev A GPS board. GPS works OK in totally open areas, but anywhere else holding lock is sketchy. I have a few other pixhawk autopilots with the standard Ublox GPS and sadly the Solo GPS is not nearly as good. It works, but I don't have a lot of confidence that It won't loose lock unexpectedly. And boy getting initial lock can be painful!

I emailed 3dr about my disappointment in getting a rev A, but they didn't show any sympathy. They just told me to buy the shield! Amazing. This is a brand new Solo purchased this month. Why are they not putting the new shield in as stock??? Are margins that thin? I say put in the shield during manufacture and raise the price by $15.

So in the meantime I have done the cardboard mod and ordered the new GPS shield.

Monster big thumbs down to 3dr support!! Truly abysmal. Makes me wonder if Solo is really even going to be supported and further developed going forward.

But on a positive note I have to say I like the Solo! My first few flights have been fun and it worked as expected. I just wish they hadn't gone the WAY of the expensive proprietary battery module-thing (has anyone hacked the battery setup yet?).

Cheers, Peter

...I just received a new Solo and to my disappointment it came with the Rev A GPS board...

I emailed 3dr about my disappointment in getting a rev A, but they didn't show any sympathy. They just told me to buy the shield! Amazing. This is a brand new Solo purchased this month. Why are they not putting the new shield in as stock??? Are margins that thin? I say put in the shield during manufacture and raise the price by $15.

Cheers, Peter
Knowledgeable folks on this forum have said many times that every Solo out there today has been manufactured already, long ago, with the initial run (or 2 runs - Rev A and Rev B) and that 3dr is merely selling out the stock from those factory runs. Understandably, they are NOT going back through the year-old-plus Solos and installing Rev Bs or Shields. My first Solo came with Rev B, second with Rev A. I have an M8N GPS on order to install into the Rev A bird - because I can.

Your Solo purchased this month is no newer, and apparently somewhat older than my first Solo of 2 months ago. Luck of the draw...

Reactions: Jubalr
Your Solo purchased this month is no newer, and apparently somewhat older than my first Solo of 2 months ago. Luck of the draw...

Too funny... I mean sad!

Anyways, I am going to wait for the 3DR GPS Shield and see how that improves things. But I have also noticed that since installing the gimbal and my GoPro that I don't get as many satellites and it takes longer to lock. I'm guessing more EM interference from that setup? Everything is so close together. Obviously I need to do some tests to determine if I am imagining things or not. Maybe I need to insulate the bottom of the Solo with "Trillium D", like they had to do in TV show Star Trek Enterprise to avoid getting smoked by the "anomalies"!!

Thanks pdxSteve for posting that coupon code!

I just received a new Solo and to my disappointment it came with the Rev A GPS board. GPS works OK in totally open areas, but anywhere else holding lock is sketchy. I have a few other pixhawk autopilots with the standard Ublox GPS and sadly the Solo GPS is not nearly as good. It works, but I don't have a lot of confidence that It won't loose lock unexpectedly. And boy getting initial lock can be painful!

So in the meantime I have done the cardboard mod and ordered the new GPS shield.

Monster big thumbs down to 3dr support!! Truly abysmal. Makes me wonder if Solo is really even going to be supported and further developed going forward.

But on a positive note I have to say I like the Solo! My first few flights have been fun and it worked as expected. I just wish they hadn't gone the WAY of the expensive proprietary battery module-thing (has anyone hacked the battery setup yet?).

Cheers, Peter
Actually 3DR is right. The difference is with the shielding, not the GPS board. That's why 3DR decided to continue with the Rev A and to make the new shielding available as an option.
Buy the new shielding, I can confirm it is worth the money. Way better than any custom copper stuff.

Reactions: Solo Keith
I used a mail forwarder in the USA to get mine here in Aus. Cost about $40AUD in total (with the 3dr 50% discount). It arrives tomorrow but im at the ski fields for the week [emoji4], i can wait. If weather permits ill get some aerial footage as the main roads in the NP arent part of the NP.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

@ChrisBird what mail forwarder did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just thought I'd post a pic of Rev BView attachment 4117
Out of curiosity, what range are people's Solo serial numbers that have the Rev B GPS? I just picked up one with the last four numbers in the 1000 range and it's a Rev A. I have one in the 9000 range I have yet to open up but I figured I would ask before opening up too.

Out of curiosity, what range are people's Solo serial numbers that have the Rev B GPS? I just picked up one with the last four numbers in the 1000 range and it's a Rev A. I have one in the 9000 range I have yet to open up but I figured I would ask before opening up too.

You can't tell from the serial number.

My understanding is the Solos that are sold with the gimbal preinstalled with the backpack have the Rev B. 3DR would have had to put the gimbals on by hand so no doubt decided to update the GPS whilst they had those ones open.

Reactions: SARDG
Actually 3DR is right. The difference is with the shielding, not the GPS board. That's why 3DR decided to continue with the Rev A and to make the new shielding available as an option.
Buy the new shielding, I can confirm it is worth the money. Way better than any custom copper stuff.
In truth the REV B is better, but with the shielding the difference is negligible between the A and B I'm told.

Personally I'd go for the shield and if you can afford it go for Jordi's replacement.

Jordi's replacement is priced a bit high for what it is, but it does seem to do the job given the feedback so far.

You can't tell from the serial number.

My understanding is the Solos that are sold with the gimbal preinstalled with the backpack have the Rev B. 3DR would have had to put the gimbals on by hand so no doubt decided to update the GPS whilst they had those ones open.
I never thought about that, but now it makes sense. Indeed, my only Rev B (out of 4 Solos) is the one that came with a pre-installed gimbal (and backpack).

Ah, I see then. Looks like it doesn't really make too much of a difference then if you get the new shield and that I should be looking for at acquisition time initially to see if I have any problems. Maybe I can get to it tonight if I'm lucky

In truth the REV B is better, but with the shielding the difference is negligible between the A and B I'm told.

Personally I'd go for the shield and if you can afford it go for Jordi's replacement.

Jordi's replacement is priced a bit high for what it is, but it does seem to do the job given the feedback so far.

Is 80 bucks high for a GPS module?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44