Solo Development and other innards..

Yeah I read that earlier this morning. Was hoping it would tell me more about logging, I haven't figured out what bin files are and how they are generated and used.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Forgive me if this has been posted, but I found this interesting. Not just because of the developments being worked on and discussed, but also as it details information of files etc. inside the Solo that can be useful for "non developers" and geeks like me...

Introduction | 3DR Solo Development Guide

Cheers
Another reason why I choose 3DR over a 2nd purchase with the other guys

Reactions: RichWest
I'm hoping soon they will release the source and information on setting up a compiler to re-compile Artoo's Firmware (Solo's Controller).

I'd love to fix the danged "Imperial / Metric" issue that they never seem to have time to get around to.

I'm hoping soon they will release the source and information on setting up a compiler to re-compile Artoo's Firmware (Solo's Controller).

I'd love to fix the danged "Imperial / Metric" issue that they never seem to have time to get around to.
That really bugs you huh...[emoji102]

Sent from another dimension using my Nexus 6

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
You know, it does.

It's like having my car show KPH instead of MPH
-or-
KPL instead of MPG

It's one of those things that would take them <1 minute to fix, but they refuse to do it because they are "too busy".
My guess is that it isn't "quite" as simple as you think. The first problem is that they can't just change it, because some people need imperial, and some need metric. You have to flip it back and forth, and you need to store each value, and have a param for flipping it. They might only have the math for metric in the controller. Then you need to put that param in the interface, give it a switch, etc. which requires Solo app coding and testing, a software release, or to be bundled with some planned release (which is likely what is happening).

I agree not a giant problem, but would take quite a bit more than a minute..

Last edited:
I think this is why the "tinkers" was invented.
Back in 1873 "Could be anything mass produced" Colt produced the Colt 45, Most, Gun smiths had their hands full with request for " among other thing's" different handles, better sights ect....
So tinkers will always wants mods to enhance the operation of, or just plane eyecandy.
Let's hear it for Tinkers, where would be be without them.
From wiki:
Tinkering is therefore the process of adapting, meddling or adjusting something in the course of making repairs or improvements

I think this is why the "tinkers" was invented.
Back in 1873 "Could be anything mass produced" Colt produced the Colt 45, Most, Gun smiths had their hands full with request for " among other thing's" different handles, better sights ect....
So tinkers will always wants mods to enhance the operation of, or just plane eyecandy.
Let's hear it for Tinkers, where would be be without them.
From wiki:
Tinkering is therefore the process of adapting, meddling or adjusting something in the course of making repairs or improvements
I tink your right ;)

Badda bing!

My guess is that it isn't "quite" as simple as you think. The first problem is that they can't just change it, because some people need imperial, and some need metric. You have to flip it back and forth, and you need to store each value, and have a param for flipping it. They might only have the math for metric in the controller. Then you need to put that param in the interface, give it a switch, etc. which requires Solo app coding and testing, a software release, or to be bundled with some planned release (which is likely what is happening).

I agree not a giant problem, but would take quite a bit more than a minute..
It would be as simple as I thought, and I was ready with my stopwatch to see if I could do it with the source in under one-minute, but 3DR just upped the bar Big-Time.

They are now publicly stating that the Solo's Artoo is Close Source.

That's going to delay my plans on hooking an Arduino to Solo and having it perform whatever I wanted from the Artoo.
This unfortunate problem will delay, but not stop the projects.

I know there have been a few "Conspiracy Theory" threads here and elsewhere, and I don't want to go into that subject but 3DR advertised the Solo as an Open Source device and that's the only reason I wanted one.

I wanted to use it to develop cool add-on's and post up all the info to "Do-It-Your-Self", from public PCB Boards at OSH Park to a BOM to use at Mouser or Digikey.

From an email I just received:
sum bozo at 3dr said:
Dear Steve Myers:
Like I said I can only assist you with the hardware part as we are hardware support only. We do not have access to that information since the controller it self is closed source.
With that being said The source code is not shared with the public.
Have a great flight!!

Best Regards,
Fernando Gonzalez
[Technical Support Engineer]

I take this as a personal challenge to dump and reverse Artoo and release it as public so those that know how can tweak it.
(now, where is that directory with my latest IDAPro and my JTAG.. and that emulator I wrote to reverse the DirecTV box'es firmware years ago....)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sashatronics

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44