Solo crash, looking for help understanding tlog file

Here is Manuel's response, note that he does not answer the questions and again diverts responsibility. For the record, the boat that was hit by the Solo was about 10-15 feet away from the table and the top of the boat was a similar level to the level of the table top. It was a fiberglass boat and was shut off. A pile of hooey I say!

Manuel (3DR)

Sep 9, 10:52 AM PDT

Hello Christopher,

The compass is located in the leg #4 to make its readings more accurate, nevertheless, this makes it more susceptible to environmental interference; you mentioned that the Solo crashed into a boat, the flight log showed that this didn't happen too far away from the landing location, which would explain the compass variance since metallic objects, electronics and magnets (i.e speakers) near Solo can trigger this error.
[Magnetic Interference | 3DR - Drone & UAV Technology]

Best regards,
Manuel Mora
[3DR Technical Support Engineer]

[1R4V2O-2ER1]

Last edited:
Hey! I just realized that Manuel is now blaming the nearby boat instead of the dock lift off!

I hope that nobody has any further doubts about 3DR's position in regards to their warrantee and their interest in their customers. They know they are done and now it's simply a case of loss mitigation.

Boy, I have to say, he's full of it at this point. The errors started when you were 8.5 feet off the ground and, judging by the last bit of travel in your flight logs, some 20 feet from the boat it ultimately crashed into. Correct me of I'm wrong, but the boat was most likely fiberglass, not metal. And I've flown less than that distance from a metal cars with speakers and never had a problem.

Suggesting that a speaker almost 30 feet away caused these errors is simply absurd.

Keep pestering, the ridiculousness of their explanations looks like proof they're grasping at straws to deny a replacement.

Call, start a chat, just get to a manager and explain this, including Manuel's ridiculous and varying responses.

Reactions: Crisp Rice
Sounds like they don't want to set a precedent or they'll be replacing everyone's Solos that flies off a dock or boat and has a 'mishap' - even a boat or a dock 20' away. But look at this way... at least he didn't tell you to "Have a great day". :rolleyes:

Hey User Name or Peddles ...

Either of you in Canada/USA and if so, are you interested in my solo and accessories?

Be happy to ship it to you at my cost rather than see it sit around for the next year or two until I finally dump it.

Backpack, 3 batteries, 6 props, controller, Chargers, solo and gimbal that got wet.

Presumably first one to say yes gets it!

Last edited:
Wow, congrats Pedals... with all the troubles you've had, you deserve a break!

Sorry you weren't able to get 3DR to replace it, Chris. I'm pretty stubborn so I would have kept hounding them a bit more. I know it's discouraging. Certainly doesn't reflect well on 3DR that they kept grasping for straws to blame the crash on you.

...Sorry you weren't able to get 3DR to replace it, Chris. I'm pretty stubborn so I would have kept hounding them a bit more...
Yes, me too. I am about the squeakiest wheel known to mankind - in the name of principal of course. :eek:

Yes, me too. I am about the squeakiest wheel known to mankind - in the name of principal of course. :eek:

I agree with you all about fighting ... However, My better half has seen me take the bit before and has asked me to let it go this time. She is right usually and this time I am sure she is right. I do truly believe that I don't have the time or the energy to fight with 3DR even though I might otherwise have done so. I have an uncle who is an attorney who I might have asked to send an aggressive email ... but ultimately, I do not think it would have worked at this point in 3DR's corporate position - I do believe they are in extreme loss mitigation mode. And the few support staff still there are being told to push to the limit. And let's be honest with ourselves, do we really believe that there is any management oversight going on when the staff are all in flux?

Best of my wishes go out to you all and I truly hope that you can keep Solo flying without 3DR.

If any of you have any thoughts on what bird to try next I am all ears, it's a given that I won't go with a start up again.

Reactions: SARDG
How do you send crash report and how can I retrieve it. My drone just had no communication and landed on a wire and flipped and propeller flew off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you send crash report and how can I retrieve it. My drone just had no communication and landed on a wire and flipped and propeller flew off

All the information is on the forum but it requires it bit of tech savvy. You will need to download a program that allows you to FTP into your drone wifi and then another piece of software to analyze it. I did all that but don't remember the details. There is a YouTube video here that explains. Good luck.

Thanks because i had a crash today for some apparent reason i was not able to get a signal with my drone less than 80ft coming down towards me a hard landing all lights were red

Thanks because i had a crash today for some apparent reason i was not able to get a signal with my drone less than 80ft coming down towards me a hard landing all lights were red

Red solid, or flashing?

Solid white (front) and red (back): Ready to fly, standard flight configuration
Pulsing white (front) and red (back) Solo is flying under autopilot control
Flashing red alternating front and back: Controller signal lost
Flashing rainbow: Update in progress
Solid green, then turning off one-by-one: Startup successful
Solid green without turning off automatically: Startup unsuccessful, please restart Solo

80' is ridiculously close, but check this:
Communication Range | 3DR - Drone & UAV Technology

Many are flying with inappropriately aligned antennas. Couple that with other above caveats, and ....

Reactions: bluesgeek
Many are flying with inappropriately aligned antennas.

Yup, this is huge, if you're antennas are anointed up, your range will be severely limited. I did it once by accident and was shocked at how close in it lost signal and started to RTL. You want them to mimic the legs on the Solo - down and out slightly.

Where can i find a light cover for my Bird at. It crashed and i cant find my light cover

Either of you in Canada/USA and if so, are you interested in my solo and accessories?

Be happy to ship it to you at my cost rather than see it sit around for the next year or two until I finally dump it.

Backpack, 3 batteries, 6 props, controller, Chargers, solo and gimbal that got wet.

How much

Yes

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40