Solex Survey Question, changing altitude during survey...

Reaction score
Is there any way to change the altitude of a survey when planning it out? I want to take a survey of a sloped property. So I used the mission planning part of solex, made a take off point, a waypoint to fly to the start of the survey and then put in a survey. I then finish with a return home/land. I selected the area I wanted to do the survey. The starting point is 200ft, however the ending point would be about 800ft (maintaining a 200ft AGL at each point). I did try to import the elevation data from google, but that just seems to have switched the entire survey's height to the end height. I'm not sure if there's a way to put in way points during the survey to change elevation, or if I should just break down the survey into separate surveys, one for each elevation change.

I have attached a highly sophisticated piece of art that demonstrates what the heck I'm on about. ( I have not signed it in order to prevent people selling copies of my amazing artwork on Ebay.)

Attachments

• art.jpg
    art.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 30
Is there any way to change the altitude of a survey when planning it out? I want to take a survey of a sloped property. So I used the mission planning part of solex, made a take off point, a waypoint to fly to the start of the survey and then put in a survey. I then finish with a return home/land. I selected the area I wanted to do the survey. The starting point is 200ft, however the ending point would be about 800ft (maintaining a 200ft AGL at each point). I did try to import the elevation data from google, but that just seems to have switched the entire survey's height to the end height. I'm not sure if there's a way to put in way points during the survey to change elevation, or if I should just break down the survey into separate surveys, one for each elevation change.

I have attached a highly sophisticated piece of art that demonstrates what the heck I'm on about. ( I have not signed it in order to prevent people selling copies of my amazing artwork on Ebay.)

This was the response I received from Kelly Schrock over on FB (basically the same request you had for changing elevation during survey...

@Kelly Schrock - I assume you read the update notes for 1.7.1. It has a way to save the current location by tapping a button on the Flight Log layer ("Save This Location"). Then you convert the flight log to a mission, being sure to select "use Waypoints" and not "use Splines". Then in the Mission Editor, select all of the points you want to turn into a survey, and click "Convert to Survey". If it's on a hillside, you could then select "Follow Terrain" in the Mission Editor, and there you go.

This is the mission I am trying to fly...

Attachments

• Hillside Mission.JPG
    Hillside Mission.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Your Hillside looks a little more complex than mine, I only really have a rise on one side and flat on the other. What Kelly said makes sense though as this means I could use the "import" function to get the elevation details and then add 200ft onto them to make sure I stay above the ground.

Thanks for the info, really helpful!

Your Hillside looks a little more complex than mine, I only really have a rise on one side and flat on the other. What Kelly said makes sense though as this means I could use the "import" function to get the elevation details and then add 200ft onto them to make sure I stay above the ground.

Thanks for the info, really helpful!
Not a problem. I am currently in search of my first multi-rotor I built 4 years ago and recently crashed flying FPV while canyon flying. It was my favorite and I'm pretty sure I'll find it. The mountain-side is mostly shale rock with small bushes here and there. The GoPro with 12MP pictures actually provides pretty detailed images, just have to have a consistent search pattern that I just couldn't achieve free flying with the Solo. Wish I could use my Googles as a tablet is just too hard to see with in real-time during the day.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Yikes! Although good tool for searching for the missing multi-rotor, hoping you find it. Other than some way outdated google earth images, I have no proper, recent, detailed images of my property, so wanting to get some good images down. Might also be a good way to stop places to put a small cabin and a runway.

I was using a cheap android tablet for my flying and it was impossible to see in the daytime (transition lenses in my glasses didn't help). I would literally have to shut myself in the truck to fly and even then the table was so cheap it couldn't give a smooth video feed. I upgraded to a tab S3 and it's a heck of a lot better. Much smoother video and a very bright screen. When I get back out to the property, I'll be putting up a cheap canopy to cut down on sun glare.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc