Solex - Previous Versions

Reaction score
Sorry, if this has asked before........

I removed Solex from my tablet.........it was Solex version 1.4.0........is there anything where to obtain previous versions ?

Version 1.8.6 is not compatible with my tablet......

FWIW, the problem isn't that Solex isn't compatible with your tablet, it's that Google has decided you should think it is. Solex 1.8.6 would run just fine on your tablet, but Google wants to force people to upgrade to newer Android builds. So their new rule is that when an update is pushed, it won't be visible to devices running Android versions more than 2 versions old. Later, it will be reduced to 1 version old. Google has apparently decided that they want to make a noose even tighter than Apple's noose for app developers and users to hang on.

As a result, I've been considering taking over distribution of Solex myself in order to get around this problem. So instead of getting Solex from Google Play, you'd get it from some other source. Updates, error logging, purchasing, license verification, and a few other things would be handled by me instead of Google. Some of this I've already done on other apps for clients, who have apps made by me which are only available when you buy their vehicles. So there's precedent for it.

At that time, I think I would also change Solex pricing to use a subscription model, which would include everything in Solex (missions, geotagging, SolexCC support, etc) without having to deal with buying add-ons. That way it could fund ongoing development and be easier to deal with from the user side.

Just some things I've been thinking about. Interested to know what others think of this idea.

Reactions: Rsn, yarrr and DJMc
thank you for your comprehensive explanation........getting it out of Google's hands sounds like a great idea.....

thank you for your comprehensive explanation........getting it out of Google's hands sounds like a great idea.....

Anyone with the version you want could backup their app as a .apk file and share it with you. I've done that with other apps. It should 'work'.

I sense this becoming a bigger and bigger problem. Lots of people, me included, are using older tablets like a Shield K1. It runs Android 7 (N), and Android is on 9 (P) now. So by this seems that when Android 10 rolls out, the Shield K1 becomes a problem.

Reactions: Wetstone
The monopolistic stranglehold of Google is terrible......all about the revenue stream as they push for users to upgrade......sucks

I sense this becoming a bigger and bigger problem. Lots of people, me included, are using older tablets like a Shield K1. It runs Android 7 (N), and Android is on 9 (P) now. So by this seems that when Android 10 rolls out, the Shield K1 becomes a problem.

Yep, I think it's only going to get worse. I'm interested in working on features for Solex, and not necessarily screwing around with making sure I please Google's ever-changing whims. IMO, Google has jumped the shark, and they're looking for ways to stay relevant. They'll end up doing what all big tech companies do: Imitate other big tech companies. They tried imitating Facebook with Google+ and failed. Apple tried to imitate Google with Apple maps and failed initially, but the fact they own all the money in the world enables them to hire good developers and threaten them with death unless they make good maps, so that has worked out for them. Apple has MacBooks, which are silver nice-looking laptops. Google makes a nice-looking silver laptop called a ChromeBook that you can run Chrome on. Amazon was making phones for a while, in a bid to be like Apple, except the phones had Android on them, so they were also trying to be like Google too. Microsoft had phones but failed to imitate either Google or Apple properly, so they stopped doing that and are now making cool apps that I run on my Linux box. Facebook is now making some kind of TV looking thing you can talk to, so they can be like, I don't know, the Jetsons. All of them can get off my lawn.

Reactions: DJMc
If you went on your own, I could finally move to Solex,as I refuse to give Google any payment info/CC #'s seeing as how they have been so 'trustworthy' with all the other data folks give them

Yep, I think it's only going to get worse. I'm interested in working on features for Solex, and not necessarily screwing around with making sure I please Google's ever-changing whims. IMO, Google has jumped the shark, and they're looking for ways to stay relevant. They'll end up doing what all big tech companies do: Imitate other big tech companies. They tried imitating Facebook with Google+ and failed. Apple tried to imitate Google with Apple maps and failed initially, but the fact they own all the money in the world enables them to hire good developers and threaten them with death unless they make good maps, so that has worked out for them. Apple has MacBooks, which are silver nice-looking laptops. Google makes a nice-looking silver laptop called a ChromeBook that you can run Chrome on. Amazon was making phones for a while, in a bid to be like Apple, except the phones had Android on them, so they were also trying to be like Google too. Microsoft had phones but failed to imitate either Google or Apple properly, so they stopped doing that and are now making cool apps that I run on my Linux box. Facebook is now making some kind of TV looking thing you can talk to, so they can be like, I don't know, the Jetsons. All of them can get off my lawn.

Since users are keeping their old and very useful androids would it be possible to keep multiple versions of Solex as an .apk on github with all the other Solo files?

Last edited:
How would this subscription system work? Would it be a monthly charge? Is anyone grandfathered in? I don't mind giving to the cause, it's just that this is the only luxury I afford myself, being low income and all and living in California.I bought one add-on at the time there was only one in addition to solex, and I don't even use it. I think it's the one where you can play with other solos and see what they're seeing and take over or some shit. It sounds cool and all, but I knew I'd never use it because my friends are lame and don't do this Drone stuff but I wanted to support the cause, so I scored it anyway.
I didn't know all of this consolidation and copying of others models was taking place. What y'all said about Google and android and how some android versions weren't compatible any longer makes a lot of sense and explains why one day my tablet worked and the next and forever after, didn't. Those guys can suck it, imo.

Kelly - So I have this question, I have a K1 Shield tablet on Android 7.0 and Solex v1.8.8, and if I don't do any updates to Android or Solex, I assume the system will continue to run fine if I can live with these versions? I primarily only use the Tablet for Solex, so since if it's not broken, why fix-it? I do realize you provide bug fixes, updates, cool new features, etc., but for what I need and use, seems that I should just stick with what I have, correct?

This is an interesting topic because I also have a Ricoh Theta S 360 camera that won't connect and display in the Theta app on my Samsung Galaxy 8+ phone (Android 8.x) but will connect and works on my Tablet (I just realized I should try this after reading this thread). I thought my $350 360 camera was a "brick" but seems to work fine on my Tablet (hooray). This is exciting to say the least because I wanted to shoot some 360 Video with my Solo.

Where do I find on the K1 Shield to turn-off automatic update to the Android system? Sorry to ask a device specific tech question, but if there's a quick answer, it'd be helpful, otherwise I'm off to Google for the answer.

I'm in the same boat with my android tablet. No more Solex updates. I had a custom ROM running on my tablet so I could select country code. Not sure what to do at this point and I don't know if android is opened up a bit more as far as selecting country. I might have to look for a cheap international android tablet so I don't have to jump hoops (I hope) like I did with my current tablet. I do like the idea of having the app distributed if possible. My current tablet works fine and i just replaced the battery in it a couple of weeks ago.

I have the same problem. I bought a used Samsung Tab 4 last year so I didn't risk my expensive Note 9 Cell Phone while outside flying my drone. Update it to Lollipop. Installed Solex last year.
I just noticed that the Solex version was a couple of revision old compared to my Note 9. I thought I had an issue with Goggle Play services and reset my tablet. Now I cant install Solex. Thanks a lot Goggle you greedy A -holes.
I will check back here periodically to see if any one can find a good solution.

- Mike

Last edited:
Bump....anyone figure out how to install latest Solex revision (legally bought and paid for) on a tablet with Lollipop Android?

- Mike

Update on this topic...

I was running Solex on an older Samsung SM-T337A which is a decent but older 8 inch tablet.
It was updated to the lastest official Android 5.1.1 ROM.
With the latest Solex update I noted that I my Tablet did not see the latest solex revision that was installed on my Samsung Note 9.
I was using the older tablet for one reason:
1. If I managed to drop, damage, or lose my old 8 inch tablet I would only be out about $60 to replace it.

I tried many methods to try to get Solex updated.
The last was a complete wipe and reset.
After this the Google Play app would not even show Solex.
Turns out because my Tablet could not be update to a ROM newer than Android 5.1.1 Google decided for me that it was no longer "compatible" because 5.1.1 is more than two major releases behind Android 9 Oreo. It has nothing to do with the hardware which in my case was very capable of running Solex.
This was just a B.S. move by Google to try to force me to buy a new tablet.

After much gnashing of teeth and cursing of Google, I was able to evaluate and resolve my dilemma.

I was able to determine I had only two legitimate solutions (I do not support or endorse illegal methods) for someone experiencing the "not compatible" error when installing a legal copy of Solex on your older tablet or phone:

1. Buy a new Android platform.
2. Update your Android ROM. If the manufacturer has stopped releasing updates look for a newer custom ROM that has been developed specifically for your platform.

I was able to utilize solution number two. I have an older Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 tablet that had stopped working (the battery had died and the battery charge would go from 100% to less than 10% in about one minute of use then reboot). I installed a new battery and it was back to normal.
I was not out of the woods yet though... This tablet had the same ROM issue...it was running Lollipop version 5.1.1. :(
All attempts to install Solex through my Goggle Play Store account resulted in the "this app is not compatible with your device" error.

I hangout on an Android developers website called XDA Developers.
It is a great site for help with various Android platforms.
So I went to the forum for the Samsung SM-T320 tablet.
I found a custom Android ROM called "Lineage" created just for this tablet that is based on Android Nougat 7.1.
After going through the whole update process of installing a replacement bootloader and the new ROM (this process is fairly complex and definitely not for novices) my tablet is now running Android 7.1. This newer Android version allowed me to setup my Google Play account, then install and run the latest Solex release. :)

- Mike

Update on this topic...

I was running Solex on an older Samsung SM-T337A which is a decent but older 8 inch tablet.
It was updated to the lastest official Android 5.1.1 ROM.
With the latest Solex update I noted that I my Tablet did not see the latest solex revision that was installed on my Samsung Note 9.
I was using the older tablet for one reason:
1. If I managed to drop, damage, or lose my old 8 inch tablet I would only be out about $60 to replace it.

I tried many methods to try to get Solex updated.
The last was a complete wipe and reset.
After this the Google Play app would not even show Solex.
Turns out because my Tablet could not be update to a ROM newer than Android 5.1.1 Google decided for me that it was no longer "compatible" because 5.1.1 is more than two major releases behind Android 9 Oreo. It has nothing to do with the hardware which in my case was very capable of running Solex.
This was just a B.S. move by Google to try to force me to buy a new tablet.

After much gnashing of teeth and cursing of Google, I was able to evaluate and resolve my dilemma.

I was able to determine I had only two legitimate solutions (I do not support or endorse illegal methods) for someone experiencing the "not compatible" error when installing a legal copy of Solex on your older tablet or phone:

1. Buy a new Android platform.
2. Update your Android ROM. If the manufacturer has stopped releasing updates look for a newer custom ROM that has been developed specifically for your platform.

I was able to utilize solution number two. I have an older Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 tablet that had stopped working (the battery had died and the battery charge would go from 100% to less than 10% in about one minute of use then reboot). I installed a new battery and it was back to normal.
I was not out of the woods yet though... This tablet had the same ROM issue...it was running Lollipop version 5.1.1. :(
All attempts to install Solex through my Goggle Play Store account resulted in the "this app is not compatible with your device" error.

I hangout on an Android developers website called XDA Developers.
It is a great site for help with various Android platforms.
So I went to the forum for the Samsung SM-T320 tablet.
I found a custom Android ROM called "Lineage" created just for this tablet that is based on Android Nougat 7.1.
After going through the whole update process of installing a replacement bootloader and the new ROM (this process is fairly complex and definitely not for novices) my tablet is now running Android 7.1. This newer Android version allowed me to setup my Google Play account, then install and run the latest Solex release. :)

- Mike

I'm using the same Samsung SM-T320 tablet. Went through a battery replacement as well. Do you know if the ROM you're using allows for the use of WiFi channel 13?
I went through hell getting a ROM installed that allowed me to use CH 13 so I'm hesitant to change. Funny that Apple iOS devices have no such restrictions out of the box.

I cant tell from looking at tablet what the upper channel limit is.
Probably best to ask the ROM developers.

- Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo