Solex Missions, Tower, Mission Planner, or QGroundControl

Really? There's a mission editor where you create missions, and a Mission Layer on the map where you run them. What do you find confusing? Because if there are issues with it, I know a guy...

I’ll give it another shot and let you know some feedback.

One thing that is important is to know what mission features are available when connected, versus if the signal is temporarily lost.

The app from Hangar called Autopilot (for DJI) handles this by letting you select linked versus unlinked at the beginning of creating the mission. This is because only some features are compatible with the DJI mission SDK. Only the compatible features are then shown.

Because of Tower and Mission Planner, I am used to the idea of uploading a self contained mission—it makes sense and let’s you download and confirm what is in the Solo’s memory.

Reactions: Arny58
The setting to continue or RTL is set in the autopilot PARM file, not in the mission itself.

The setting to continue or RTL is set in the autopilot PARM file, not in the mission itself.

Correct, but you’re going down a slightly different road than what I am talking about.

It seems that some of the things done in Solex missions are streamed from the app to the drone, they aren’t stored in the drone autopilot and executed in Auto mode.

I suppose the way to confirm this is to see if Solex missions are initiated by putting Solo into AUTO mode, rather than just having the Solo app steer the Solo.

Who knows this answer?

My money is on the guy who put up post #18, I think he may have an inkling [emoji38]

I've been using Solex and Tower for quite awhile and decided to buy the Solex missions add-on today just out of curiosity. Been playing with it and overall it is quite similar. There are one or two actions that you can program to occur at waypoints that Tower doesn't offer (such as setting LEDS), but nothing earthshaking . Mainly, it just allows you to do everything in one app. Is that worth $20? Some probably won't think so, and some will.
I do think the Missions in Solex are pretty intuitive - pretty much the same as in Tower. The main thing about Tower that I like better is the way you select altitude and speed changes. Solex does lets you change both at each waypoint (that's nice), but the controls are very fiddly and hard to set vs. Tower.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arny58 and blahdc
I've been using Solex and Tower for quite awhile and decided to buy the Solex missions add-on today just out of curiosity. Been playing with it and overall it is quite similar. There are one or two actions that you can program to occur at waypoints that Tower doesn't offer (such as setting LEDS), but nothing earthshaking . Mainly, it just allows you to do everything in one app. Is that worth $20? Some probably won't think so, and some will.
I do think the Missions in Solex are pretty intuitive - pretty much the same as in Tower. The main thing about Tower that I like better is the way you select altitude and speed changes. Solex does lets you change both at each waypoint (that's nice), but the controls are very fiddly and hard to set vs. Tower.

Thanks, appreciate the post!

Really? There's a mission editor where you create missions, and a Mission Layer on the map where you run them. What do you find confusing? Because if there are issues with it, I know a guy...
Do you have a pdf or any documentation that provide the features of Missions? I wasn't able to find anything in the manual but maybe I overlooked it. Would also be interested in anything you have for the Photogrammetry add on as well. Thanks.

Do you have a pdf or any documentation that provide the features of Missions? I wasn't able to find anything in the manual but maybe I overlooked it. Would also be interested in anything you have for the Photogrammetry add on as well. Thanks.

Attachments

• geotagging.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
  • missions.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 84
Reactions: Arny58 and blahdc
Despite owning solex missions - just wanted to donate more :) - I can't see myself ever not preplanning precisely on a laptop with the power of MP. But that's just the nature of the jobs I'm now getting. However, even if it were just to run solex as the tablet interface with MP as I already do (love the audio updates), I would pay a hell of a lot more than $20 bucks for missions if it simply logged a definitive geotagging file triggered by the shutter that didn't required checking. In our current situation with a gopro, that would be the holy grail for me.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib

@Kelly,

Ok, I am digging into Solex.

For a waypoint, creating an Action, does the controller need to be connected in order to set the Gimbal Angle?

Will Tower Scan continue properly if connection is lost?

Often the signal can be lost when going around the backside of a tower/object.

Thanks

I've been using QGC, MP, and Tower for some time. Just purchased Solex + Missions last week (partially due to curiosity and the raves it seems to be receiving in these forums).

Since I've switched from a Windows tablet to Android (Dell Venue 10, 5.1) MP has fallen to disuse.

QGroundControl (QGC)
  • Free and open source
  • Multiplatform: Win, Mac, Linux, iOS (beta), Android
  • Currently maintained, 2-3 main contributors
  • Has surveys
    • no spline surveys
    • sometimes surveys load from saved missions as individual waypoints
  • Planned Home and RTL paths shown on map
  • Geofences are defined per mission
  • (Likely a user error on my part) Requires extra confirmation at mission start, causing false error

Tower
  • Free and open source
  • Android only
  • Not much project activity since Oct. 2017, 2-3 main contributorHas surveys and spline surveys
  • Pleasant interface and generally easy to use
  • Takeoff and RTL planned locations not shown graphically on map
    • (Some people prefer this, whereas I prefer the QGC approach)
  • Allows fully autonomous takeoff for missions
Solex
  • Proprietary, $30 for main program + $20 for missions + $10 for geotagging
    • draws heavily from 3DR Solo and Tower open sources
  • Android only
  • Currently maintained, 1 developer
  • Has surveys and spline surveys
  • Has lots of advanced waypoint actions that leverage Solo/OpenSolo advances
  • Beautiful interface and generally very easy to use
  • Has integrated firmware upgrade capability
  • IN MY VERY LIMITED EXPERIENCE WITH SOLEX seems to have lots of little quirks, usability challenges, and bugs. To be fair, I have not yet flown with Solex (not quite confident that I should).
    • Developer might be busy/vacationing... hasn't responded to my reported issues or offers to help
Just my 2 cents. I appreciate that each of us have different needs/experiences/opinions. What's great is that we actually have many different choices for ground control apps.

Last edited:
I've been using QGC, MP, and Tower for some time. Just purchased Solex + Missions last week (partially due to curiosity and the raves it seems to be receiving in these forums).

Since I've switched from a Windows tablet to Android (Dell Venue 10, 5.1) MP has fallen to disuse.

QGroundControl (QGC)
  • Free and open source
  • Multiplatform: Win, Mac, Linux, iOS (beta), Android
  • Currently maintained, 2-3 main contributors
  • Has surveys
    • no spline surveys
    • sometimes surveys load from saved missions as individual waypoints
  • Planned Home and RTL paths shown on map
  • Geofences are defined per mission
  • (Likely a user error on my part) Requires extra confirmation at mission start, causing false error

Tower
  • Free and open source
  • Android only
  • Not much project activity since Oct. 2017, 2-3 main contributors
  • Does not have surveys
  • Pleasant interface and generally easy to use
  • Allows fully autonomous takeoff for missions
Solex
  • Proprietary, $30 for main program + $20 for missions + $10 for geotagging
    • draws heavily from 3DR Solo and Tower open sources
  • Android only
  • Currently maintained, 1 developer
  • Has surveys and spline surveys
  • Has lots of advanced waypoint actions that leverage Solo/OpenSolo advances
  • Beautiful interface and generally very easy to use
  • Has integrated firmware upgrade capability
  • IN MY VERY LIMITED EXPERIENCE WITH SOLEX seems to have lots of little quirks, usability challenges, and bugs. To be fair, I have not yet flown with Solex (not quite confident that I should).
    • Developer might be busy/vacationing... hasn't responded to my reported issues or offers to help
Just my 2 cents. I appreciate that each of us have different needs/experiences/opinions. What's great is that we actually have many different choices for ground control apps.

Thanks for the feedback. You mentioned that Tower does not have surveys. If you go into the editor menu and then click on the third button from the top left you should be able to switch from waypoints to survey or spline survey. I believe waypoint is the default but if you click on "waypoint" it will expand the options to choose from.

I am in the same boat that you are and thinking about buying Missions just out of curiosity. The one thing I am still trying to determine is that if all of these programs upload the route to the drone or if it is transmitted to it during flight.

Thanks for the feedback. You mentioned that Tower does not have surveys. If you go into the editor menu and then click on the third button from the top left you should be able to switch from waypoints to survey or spline survey. I believe waypoint is the default but if you click on "waypoint" it will expand the options to choose from.

I am in the same boat that you are and thinking about buying Missions just out of curiosity. The one thing I am still trying to determine is that if all of these programs upload the route to the drone or if it is transmitted to it during flight.

Sure enough... that's a stupid oversight on my part not to recognize that Tower does indeed to surveys and spline surveys. Even with your description, I had to search out a video in order to understand that the freehand drawing tool is what allows this.

Thanks for pointing that out. I will edit my prior post so that others are not misinformed.

They are uploaded, missions can continue even if link is lost between transmitter and Solo.

I don't use mission much but bought it to help support the work Kelly has put into Solex.

I do find planning missions on a tablet more difficult than on a PC with a larger screen.

Wouldn't it be lovely if we could plan complex missions on mission planner, then save the missions on the tablet and send them to Solo in the field using Solex.... @Kelly Schrock any time this century? pretty please :)

Hmmm, I could look into it. Missions in Solex aren't going to match up 1:1 with Mission Planner missions, FWIW. The way they're structured is different. There is already the ability to import a mission into Solex via QGC files.

I'd be interested to know: What's stopping you from using Solex's mission editor for making complex missions? I do it pretty often, but I'm kind of partial to using it for that. I'd like for the mission editing in Solex to be cool enough that people grativate toward using it instead of other editors. :) Is it just that it's more comfortable to plan a mission on a PC, or is there some other reason?

Reactions: Damien

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc