Solex for Solo

Reaction score
Guides, Updates & Questions & Answers about using Solex

I receive no commission from sales, Don't need anything from the author except his friendship & his Kick ASS APP Solex!

Ta-da... Another Solex update. 1.1.6

Yes, I know it's Sunday evening, and I cannot possibly have put out another batch of features since Friday. I didn't. Here's the list of things in the new release:

. Settings-write prompt for Android 6.0

This is for Android 6.0 devices that require special permissions in order to run. If you're running any other Android version, you won't notice this one. If you're on Android 6.0, you'll see a prompt to open the super-secret special permissions page to grant Solex permissions it has on every other Android version.

. Fix reset bug in HDR Shot

This is an obscure issue: Suppose you have your camera set to Video mode and you do an HDR Shot. When it's done, it will set your camera back to Video mode, in an effort to be convenient and helpful. This issue fixes the case where it will do that when you're running a *different* shot. This fixes something none of you have probably noticed, so another not-a-big-deal fix.

. Vehicle Settings sliders updates

A couple of people mentioned that the sliders in the Vehicle Settings screen were hard to move. They were, but I hadn't done anything about it until now. They're smoother now.

. Fixed performance issue with video on Samsung

This one is the impetus for a Sunday evening release.

A couple of people mentioned that their Samsung devices had video troubles with Solex, and mentioned really slow frame rates and the app acting like it was locked up.

If you're interested in the details (which are kind of interesting if you're into how the Solo works), read on. Otherwise, skip to the bottom and read up from there until it gets boring.
1f642.png
:)

Looking into the problem, I discovered that on startup, Solo occasionally sends a HUGE torrent of "parameter received" messages without being asked for them. It doesn't always happen, but does about half the time with my Solo. The rate of incoming messages at that time is up to 300 messages per second, or one every 3ms. I wasn't measuring traffic volume before (didn't realize there was a need), but now that I am, 300 messages/second is 10 times higher than normal.

(For reference: "parameter received" messages are for flight-controller parameters, the kind of data dealt with by the Vehicle Settings screen.)

An Nvidia or Nexus device is fast enough it can apparently handle this kind of traffic without any (or much) issue, so I never noticed it. But my S7 Edge was fairly close to locked up in that case. In addition to hogging the connection for needless messages, the message traffic also overwhelms these devices so they're too busy to display the video frames that come in. I had no idea it was doing all this, until I started logging the messages.

There's really no way to tell Solo to stop sending those messages, but what works fairly reliably is to request a full set of parameters from it. That starts the "parameter refresh" process which runs through the entire parameter list and then ends in about 3-5 seconds. Then it calms down, and traffic levels drop to normal.

I've seen Solo do the same thing when connected to Tower as well, where the Parameters screen would never finish loading. It's the same issue, and appears to be on the Solo side.

So, the fix is kind of interesting. The main message processor in Solex now watches to see how fast messages are coming in. If the rate is too high, it starts filtering out the parameter-related messages so the high traffic doesn't affect other parts of the app. Their message rates are thus normal. Then the main processor starts a watchdog to periodically check message rate, and ask Solo for a parameter list if it detects the problem. Then it waits to see if it was successful, trying again if it wasn't. While it's working on getting Solo to calm down, you'll see that little warning shown in the picture at the bottom of this post. Once it succeeds, the message disappears.

With this logic in place, I've tested this a LOT this afternoon and evening, and Solex always manages to get it to act normal after 10-15 seconds at most. Usually within 3-5 seconds.

If you've managed to stick with this long post, this seems like good news. If you've been using a device where Solex's video feed seemed kind of slow and jerky, it could have been because of the high message traffic. So, theoretically, your video feed should be smoother now.

Well, that's it.

BTW, there won't be a Friday update this week, I'll be in Dallas at a conference.

==============================================================
  1. Here's the latest version of Solex, 1.1.5. Here's a list of new features:

. HDR Photo Shot
    . New Spot Mode/ROI
    . Full Screen/immersive flight screen
    . Gimbal angle display on flight screen
    . Restore heading/gimbal angle on "Fly to point"
    . Fix Max Distance setting
    . Fix a crash in the Geofence screen
    . Fix missing Hero3+Black frame rates
    . Fix for Moto X Pure/6.0 (fingers crossed)

Thanks,
    Kelly

Looks like some new features & a few
  2. Forgot who, but someone was asking about add ons, updates, fixes & New Features that Kelly has included in Solex as to date:
  3. Note: "Ver. 1.1.5 updates & Fixes not included in list below"

Smart Shots:
    • Follow/Manual: Touch an object on the screen to follow
    • Follow/Record: Record a flight path and follow it later
    • Follow/Remote: Follow users who are broadcasting their locations via companion app
    • Follow/Me: Normal Follow like Solo app
    • Orbit: Like 3DR Solo app, except easier to position the start point
    • Cable Cam: Like 3DR Solo app
    • Selfie: Like the 3DR Solo app (improved version coming in an update)
    • Zipline: Like the 3DR Solo app
    • Pano: Like the 3DR Solo app
    • HDR Photo: Take EV-bracketed shots
    Spot Mode: Point at an object and lock the gimbal to follow it during manual flight

Tap to save location:

Tap the GPS location shown on screen, and name it and save a snapshot of it. It's saved in a flight log.
    • You can open flight logs later and fly to the saved locations by tapping them on a map.
    • Tap the GPS location shown on screen, and name it and save a snapshot of it. It's saved in a flight log
    • You can open flight logs later and fly to the saved locations by tapping them on a map.
    Sharing:
    • You can share all of the files created by Solex including fences, cable cams, flight logs, Follow/Record flight.
    • sessions, etc. Useful for sharing with others, or for backups and import on new devices.

UI User Interface"

HUD view: Clear all decorations off the screen and display flight status in a HUD view.

uncategorised
    • Full GoPro support for Hero3+ Black, Hero 4 Silver and Hero 4 Black.
    • Periodically speak flight status as you fly (like Tower does).
    • Basic flight stats: Track total distance and total flight time
    • Show on-screen GPS location as UTM coordinates
    • Record TLOG files
    • Change LED colors
    • Kill switch: Instantly stop motors (disabled/hidden by default for obvious reasons)
    • Geofences: Create and store geofences in multiple locations
    • Support for connecting to multiple Solos (one at a time of course)
    • Calculates/displays remaining flight time based on battery draw during a flight
    • Calculates distance from home when warning about low battery
    • On-screen EV comp adjustment
    Kelly, Please slow down! Your going for a Blowout!

WHAT'S NEW
  • New in this version:
  • . Tap to save location
  • . Fly to location on map
  • . Basic flight log
  • . Basic flight stats
  • . Now a bit smarter about network state
  • . Correct the "Aviation" LED label
  • . HUD units update
  • . Spoken flight status
  • . Fix vehicle settings param loading
  • . PAL camera settings fixes
UI1.JPG

Solex - Return to me feature
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

LED Control Solex App

Solex Target Test day

Last edited:
the learning curve is the biggest negative issue for Solex, but that is far outweighed by the benefits
it easily eclipses the solo official android app
good thread hopefully it will help people master the curve

Reactions: dqyoon
Thanks Steve!

Does Solex have all the smart shots that the Solo app has on iOS?
Is there anything it doesn't have/won't do vs. Solo app?

I thought it would be a good thing to put the Guides, Updates & Questions about using Solex with Solo in one place, hence this thread.

I Love Solex, Never promoted anything before, but considering that 3DR has let us on our own with Solo, well i just think that Kelly Schrock was sent by the Drone Gods to help are time in Need!
Back on earth, he's a real nice guy that has a day Job & works & plays on Solo & Solex most of the time,
14 updates in two months & chatting with users about "what they want & need" for the next update makes for happy users.

I receive no commission from sales, Don't need anything from the author except his friendship & his Kick ASS APP Solex!

" A Must have App" for all Android users.

This all is a work in progress, Ask questions about usage of Solex & we'll try to answer you.

Or ask Kelly your self @
[email protected]

WHAT'S NEW
  • New in this version:
  • . Tap to save location
  • . Basic flight log
  • . Basic flight stats
  • . HUD units update
  • . Spoken flight status
View attachment 4337

LED Control Solex App

Solex Target Test day

This all is a work in progress, Ask questions about usage & we'll try to answer you.

I'm curious about the RTM issue in the code.
Over on RCG, Rob Lefebvre, one of the devs, spoke of a known bug in the code that causes a flyaway only in RTM. It doesn't show up in other modes.
Can Solex address this issue? Or, is this still an issue at all? If it's hidden in the code for Solo and not the controller could it still cause a flyaway?

Thanks.

I'm curious about the RTM issue in the code.
Over on RCG, Rob Lefebvre, one of the devs, spoke of a known bug in the code that causes a flyaway only in RTM. It doesn't show up in other modes.
Can Solex address this issue? Or, is this still an issue at all? If it's hidden in the code for Solo and not the controller could it still cause a flyaway?

Thanks.

Hi Don, I think the RTM issue was present in the 3DR Solo app, but I can't be sure. I don't use it very often, TBH. The RTM code in Solex uses either the launch location (in normal RTH) or your location (in RTM). As you move around, it gets your Android device's location and sends it to Solo to tell it where the new home point is. It's pretty straightforward.

Reactions: J R and ChrisLJ10
It's in the android solo app that return to me can be fatal

I haven't experienced it myself, but I wonder: Isn't it possible to just hit the FLY button if it heads in the wrong direction, and get control of it? Or is this a case of it flying off when it loses contact due to range?

Reactions: Humhead
I haven't seen it. Never tried RTM. I Typically fly in Stabilize mode.

I haven't seen it. Never tried RTM. I Typically fly in Stabilize mode.

I'm an alt-hold guy myself. RTL is handy sometimes for impressing the neighbors, but I really don't like how it flies so darn high before coming back. I keep it set to 50 meters normally, since that's what
the learning curve is the biggest negative issue for Solex, but that is far outweighed by the benefits
it easily eclipses the solo official android app
good thread hopefully it will help people master the curve

Learning curve? Curious to know what you've found difficult about it. I know a guy who can fix it if it's a problem. :)

Reactions: Jubalr and SARDG
I thought it would be a good thing to put the Guides, Updates & Questions about using Solex with Solo in one place, hence this thread.

I Love Solex, Never promoted anything before, but considering that 3DR has let us on our own with Solo, well i just think that Kelly Schrock was sent by the Drone Gods to help us in are time of Need!
Back on earth, he's a real nice guy that has a day Job & works & plays on Solo & Solex most of the time,
14 updates in two months & chatting with users about "what they want & need" for the next update makes for happy users.

" A Must have App" for all Android users.

This all is a work in progress, Ask questions about usage of Solex & we'll try to answer you.

Or ask Kelly your self @
[email protected]

WHAT'S NEW
  • New in this version:
  • . Tap to save location
  • . Basic flight log
  • . Basic flight stats
  • . HUD units update
  • . Spoken flight status
View attachment 4337

LED Control Solex App

Solex Target Test day

This all is a work in progress, Ask questions about usage & we'll try to answer you.

The LED video showed the different colors, but not HOW to change them- is that explained somewhere?

The target test video showed ?? I have no idea...

Thanks Steve!

Prior to Solex, only the iSO flavor of 3DR's app had the Geo Fence, Kelly added that & 1 other features that slips my mind
Thanks Steve!

Prior to Solex, only the iSO flavor of 3DR's app had the Geo Fence, Kelly added that & lot's of others new features that iOS or Android ver. of 3DR Solo doesn't have, & most likely never have.
Here's a small list of Smart shots & other updates:

Smart Shots:
  • Follow/Remote: Follow users who are broadcasting their locations via companion app
  • Solex Target to provide ROI locations to Solex's Follow/Remote smart shot.
    Specify a group and user name, press Follow Me, and go. Then Solex can see your movements, and send a 3DR Solo copter to film you while you ski down a mountain, ride a motorcycle around, drive a car around a track, etc
The UI has ton's new features, Ill update list properly soon.

Hope this help

Last edited:
Reactions: J R and Maddog
The LED video showed the different colors, but not HOW to change them- is that explained somewhere?

Haha... Check out this channel on Youtube (ChuckPPhotography) there's a number of Solex-related videos on there. The Target video was one where I helped, but conditions weren't good that day for demoing Follow/Remote. So we just messed around. I'm not sure why he titled that video "Target Test", other than that's the reason we got together to fly. :) We're going to make a more instructive video at some point on Follow/Remote.

Reactions: J R and Maddog
Prior to Solex, only the iSO flavor of 3DR's app had the Geo Fence, Kelly added that & 1 other features that slips my mind

Prior to Solex, only the iSO flavor of 3DR's app had the Geo Fence, Kelly added that & lot's of others new features that iOS or Android ver. of 3DR Solo doesn't have, & most likely never have.
Here's a small list of Smart shots & other updates:

Smart Shots:
  • Solex Target to provide ROI locations to Solex's Follow/Remote smart shot.
    Specify a group and user name, press Follow Me, and go. Then Solex can see your movements, and send a 3DR Solo copter to film you while you ski down a mountain, ride a motorcycle around, drive a car around a track, etc
The UI has ton's new features, Ill update list properly soon.

Hope this help
Awesome! Thanks Steve- I'm sold.

Haha... Check out this channel on Youtube (ChuckPPhotography) there's a number of Solex-related videos on there. The Target video was one where I helped, but conditions weren't good that day for demoing Follow/Remote. So we just messed around. I'm not sure why he titled that video "Target Test", other than that's the reason we got together to fly. :) We're going to make a more instructive video at some point on Follow/Remote.
Thanks Kelly- I thought I missed something. I'll check out the other videos.

I haven't experienced it myself, but I wonder: Isn't it possible to just hit the FLY button if it heads in the wrong direction, and get control of it? Or is this a case of it flying off when it loses contact due to range?
that is exactly the remedy but imagine you are at 2000 feet and lose connection. So no fly opt out, and solo heads off in a random angle

Sorry MD, this is the right Video

I'm an alt-hold guy myself. RTL is handy sometimes for impressing the neighbors, but I really don't like how it flies so darn high before coming back. I keep it set to 50 meters normally, since that's what

Learning curve? Curious to know what you've found difficult about it. I know a guy who can fix it if it's a problem. :)

Kelly, its not the app, its me. I just have not spent enough time with it. I am sure I could get it all figured out if I spent more time flying it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc