Solex for Solo

LOL, I see your have a iPad also!. I really like it, but since Kelly's Solex, i'm using a cheap Android. As soon as i get back from "Late" Vacation from Seattle,
I'm going to fix my Nexus & use that with Solex with my BB Solo #2

Haha I bought a cheep Insignia tablet ($89) and loaded Solex up and connected my Solo but that's as far as I've gotten. Haven't flown with Solex yet. Going to Buffalo tomorrow and hopefully will find a nice quiet place to do some flying. But, I do love my iPad! It's giant screen sure helps these tired eyes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: SteveReno
Hey @Kelly Schrock , Great app! Curious if you could have a default setting within Solex to set the screen brightness when the app is running and then off when exiting out...? I typical have my screen turned down for everyday use and then need to brighten up when using either apps for FPV viewing. Just asking.....no big deal.

Reactions: SARDG
Hey Kelly,
I was wondering if you ever considered doing any coding for mapping with Solo. It seems like something a lot of people here may be interested in and willing to pay for it, as most of the companies charge bug bucks for. Take PIX4D for example. You could count me in if you ever made either a new app or expanded Solex to do this, I'm sure it's not trivial! Thanks for all you do Kelly.
Mike

OK, hopefully this is an easy question.

How do I download maps to Solex before I fly?

OK, hopefully this is an easy question.

How do I download maps to Solex before I fly?
Hi Rusty,
Unless, Kelly changed it in the last update? The maps are downlaod the same way as with the 3DR's Solo App.
Here is a tutorial on UT that i found quickly:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hope this helps

Yeah, I am not seeing that. Do I need to be connected to Solo? Would think not. The only time I can pull up a map is under Flight Logs, but I don't see an option to download tiles there.....

Yeah, I am not seeing that. Do I need to be connected to Solo? Would think not. The only time I can pull up a map is under Flight Logs, but I don't see an option to download tiles there.....
I am actually having the same issue - Flight Logs and Geo Fence show maps immediately, Fly icon/mode does not.

ETA: This is on a Samsung Tab S2 8"

Last edited:
Same issues and same Tab S2 8"
Well, this may be a question for @Kelly Schrock, but he's out-of-pocket until at least Sunday.

There are some cautions against Samsung devices in his documentation, but only as relates to Follow/Remote. Worrisome though, that we have same device/issue. Running Marshmallow 6.0.1, BTW.

Hi, I just got to Dallas, so I can answer this.

First off, there is no map view in the flight screen. There's a map in Geofence, Follow/Remote, and Flight Logs, and since it uses Google's Map component, there really is no discrete "download maps" option. The Maps component doesn't have that ability (from an app perspective) although the Google Maps app does. Also, from what I understand, it's some kind of license violation to try and subvert the Map component's caching. Since my app is shipped through Google Play, I'm not really inclined to get on Google's bad side by messing with that. :) Instead, at some point I'm going to put something in the app where you can tell it to "get map tiles" and it will open a map and navigate programmatically to all the places it's been before in the app, and let the Maps component cache all that data however it wants to do it. I think that's probably OK with Google. It's not as cool as downloading an entire region explicitly, but it's something I can do without completely gutting the maps component.

Thanks,
Kelly

I purchased the Solex App and perhaps it's just my phone but it runs a bit sluggish on my Galaxy S7 (non-rounded screen version). I am running Solex v1.1.6 with the Solo running all the latest updates from 3DR. Both the 3DR Solo and Tower run with no issues on the phone. Any thoughts?

Are you running version 1.1.6? If not, I would advise upgrading to that as soon as you can, as earlier versions were really sluggish on that phone. On 1.1.6, you'll occasionally see a "high message traffic" warning on the start screen (the one with the wind turbines on it). While this is going on, the app is trying to get the Solo to stop sending a ton of messages across the connection, which was the cause of the sluggish video. If you give it about 30 seconds or so, it's usually able to clear the problem. At that point, your video stream should be smooth. Thanks!

Reactions: BrianAPM

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela