So... How are you transporting Solo?

D

DodgeP

I feel that Pelican Cases are too bulky and heavy at this point for Solo and I don't think the 3DR backpack is big enough, especially when you begin to get a few extra's.. So far I'm transporting; Solo, Controller, 5 Batteries, Propellers, 2 GoPro's + Chargers, Batteries, Accessories, iPad, Screwdriver(s), Leathermen Tool, Misc cables, chargers, etc.

I feel that Pelican Cases are too bulky and heavy at this point for Solo and I don't think the 3DR backpack is big enough, especially when you begin to get a few extra's.. So far I'm transporting; Solo, Controller, 5 Batteries, Propellers, 2 GoPro's + Chargers, Batteries, Accessories, iPad, Screwdriver(s), Leathermen Tool, Misc cables, chargers, etc.
18 wheeler

I have everything except my bird in a bag ... I want/wanted something a little less flashy.. Now I have to just figure out how to hide the bird..

Photo Jun 24, 10 53 27 AM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

That's pretty much a pelican case with custom laser cutouts for your components. That case and the cut out already can't meet my needs, it's just not big enough. I have 2 more batteries than what's shown, more gopro's than what's shown and to top it all off; I'm a photographer with multiple pelican cases and unless your traveling; air/bus/rail (and even when you are), those pelican cases get real heavy, real cumbersome, real inconvenient, real fast.

Reactions: Ben Adelson
I made a wooden (tool) carry box for my other bird's stuff. It sits flat and carries everything related to that bird including parts and tools for any repairs. I don't pack in to any location other than by vehicle, so my option is more access, easy picking and to not easily move around. $10 material and about 2 hours work.

For the Solo I'll do the same, but more custom to fit and separate the batteries, props and controller. Just need the whole Solo setup first....

Actually I tried rotating the Solo per LowePro engineers advice and it does fit. Barely :)

solo46.jpg

Reactions: sam
Actually Dodge I dont think it was ever designed to totally contain the UAV.

There are some pockets I need to remove that should help. but the Phantom fits similar.

This is still the type of setup I need.

Dodge P, does everything fit in this bag? You mentioned you have to figure out how to hide the bird...not sure if she fit in here as well...

Everything does not fit in that bag. I have solo strapped to the back of the bag (will post pics in a few minutes as I just got back from flying). This bag setup is not for "traveling: airplane, train, boat" but more for getting me from my house to my car and from my car to my "local" flying location without having 3 and 4 things to carry. Sometimes I can't park close to my ideal flying location so having everything on my back with my hands free, is a major bonus.

Even if the bag was empty, Solo wouldn't fit in it. It's awkwardly bigger than you think it is, once you try to pack it.

QUOTE="SurfDrone, post: 2939, member: 224"]Dodge P, does everything fit in this bag? You mentioned you have to figure out how to hide the bird...not sure if she fit in here as well...[/QUOTE]

Here's what's going on with that bag..

Attachments

• unnamed (6).jpg
    unnamed (6).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 145
  • unnamed (5).jpg
    unnamed (5).jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 130
  • unnamed (7).jpg
    unnamed (7).jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 124
  • unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 126
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 138
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 131
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    33 KB · Views: 125
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 156
Check out the REI Festival Mini-Bar. on sale for $30 for 4th of July.

this will fit the 3DR Solo, controllers, spare batteries, spare props, GoPro, charger extremely comfortably but still a snug fit. Also a good landing/takeoff platform with the fold out table.

Will take more pics of it in storage, but here it is w/ my solo.

Side pocket for all the chargers:
View media item 24
inside packed:
View media item 23
with controller out. note more room for a few batteries. View media item 22

Attachments

• 11540847_10103695667324883_4591599686434560148_n.jpg
    11540847_10103695667324883_4591599686434560148_n.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Reactions: DodgeP
I bought a for my phantom and emptied it out to see if the solo would fit. since the Solo has a much more elongated body, it would occupy half the case and still leave plenty of room for other accessories.

Here is the Plano 108031 AW XL case, $70 on amazon. imo cheaper and more worth it than pelicans out there. Comes with two sets of pick & pluck foam so you can have one set for one quad/misc items and another set for the Solo.
View media item 25

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986