Should I get an iPad Mini 2 WiFi dedicated for Solo Flight?

I'm using a iPad mini 2, works as good or better than my Nvidia shield. Only problem is no gps so no follow me or return to me...I just use my phone if i want to use one of those shots.
I haven't tried Follow Me yet. But would this not lead you to believe you can us Follow Me with an iPad Mini 2?

Does the iPad have a "real GPS" in it? - iPad Pilot News

Apple says the iPad Mini 2 with WiFi and Cellular has Assisted GPS and GLONASS.

iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular for AT&T 32GB - Silver

Nothing get passed you huh?
I might be Old(er) but i'm still a kid at heart :)..
If i only knew then, what i know now! I Still wouldn't have changed a dam thing LOL
Not too many regrets...

I haven't tried Follow Me yet. But would this not lead you to believe you can us Follow Me with an iPad Mini 2?

This is similar to Android in that you can get a "cellular" model of a tablet and NOT sign up for cell service. Then they claim, you will have a TRUE GPS in that device. But buy that same device without cellular capability, and no GPS. With Android, you get a GPS in all models. I believe barometers in an Android device are a newish thing though.

That article does link to external GPS devices for Apples, though.

This is similar to Android in that you can get a "cellular" model of a tablet and NOT sign up for cell service. Then they claim, you will have a TRUE GPS in that device. But buy that same device without cellular capability, and no GPS. With Android, you get a GPS in all models. I believe barometers in an Android device are a newish thing though.

That article does link to external GPS devices for Apples, though.
Give that Lady a Cigar! IOS does a Triangulation of sorts with WiFi + Cell towers to give a GPS coordinate, I think? Getting old(er) by the minute here.

I read that it does that simply to get you started because otherwise it takes awhile for the iPad to lock onto a satellite. But it does have true GPS.

for any shots requiring gps I just use my phone. 99% of the time I don't need GPS in my tablet.
I did follow me once on my mountain bike, stuck the remote in my backpack and my phone in my pocket, easier than using a tablet.

I read that it does that simply to get you started because otherwise it takes awhile for the iPad to lock onto a satellite. But it does have true GPS.
I've had such good luck with Samsung Galaxy over the last few years that I have been sticking with them. Have a 2-year old Galaxy S5 phone and will probably get a Galaxy Note 7 when they are introduced this month - a cross between a slightly larger phone/slightly smaller tablet. I buy toys and technology on specifications & performance and the Galaxies have been good to me. Lot of bloatware on them, but probably true with all devices.

And who knows... one of these days Android users may get Solo App version 2.4.0 final release.

Outdoorsy are we?
Your choice profession helps to keep you in shape also... Coast Guard right?
Coast Guard Auxiliary - we are the unpaid uniformed volunteer arm of the CG - similar to the CAP for the Air Force. CG administers the CG Aux and the AF administers the CAP. The CG Aux also has an air wing (AUXAIR) and I was training for Air Observer - but had to have surgery and dropped the training, never to return. I have a pic of me standing next to a Cirrus SR-20 in my flight suit and life jacket and was going to use that for my avatar, but heck... I don't do AUXAIR anymore. That current avatar pic was taken in Tampa Bay during Gasparilla - Tampa's Mardi Gras on the water, of sorts. The cutter behind me is an 87 footer.

Before this 15-year CG gig, I was US Navy.

Even trying to stay on track, I am pretty certain that I have thoroughly hijacked this thread. But it's all on you and Jubal. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Before this 15-year CG gig, I was US Navy.
Even trying to stay on track, I am pretty certain that I have thoroughly hijacked this thread. But it's all on you and Jubal. :rolleyes:
1st of all, Thank You For Your Service! My son was Navy and a SeaBee. Joined the Navy to see the world and spent 4.5 years in San Diego with a 1 month trip to Guatemala.
As for Android, I prefer the no skins versions and have Nexus phone and tablet. Hijacked thread? Yeah, I took the trip and you and Steve went with me. But, You Started It!:D

Reactions: SARDG
I have used my iPad mini 4 for about 6 months now instead of my iPhone 6 Plus S. Never had a problem and love the larger screen. Used follow me the other day and no problem whatever.

I'm debating on purchasing an iPad Mini 2 WiFi for flying with my Solo. I've been hearing mixed things about needing the Cellular capabilities for all the functions Solo has. Could anyone weigh in on whether or not they have used the iPad mini 2 Wifi for flight? I'm using my iPhone 6s right now, I just feel like something bigger would make flight a lot easier.

The other Idea I had was to use the money for the iPad on a small on-camera monitor and a tripod and have the miniHDMI feed to the monitor for a bigger picture. Does anyone has any experience using monitors for their live video streaming?

Thank you in advance for all the advice!
I got an iPad mini 2 just to use with the Solo for the reasons you noted, BUT now I am back to the iPhone 6s.

1. The screen seems brighter on the 6s, and the bigger screen on the iPad was washed out in the bright California sun.
2. I bought a screen hood for both the iPad and the iPhone. The iPad weighs more than the controller, and makes the combination top heavy and cumbersome to hold.
3. The processor in the 6s is faster than on the iPad mini 2.
iPad Mini 2 -- A7
iPad Mini 4 -- A8
iPhone 6s -- A9
The iPhone 6s just seems more responsive during flight. I haven't done any tests, however.

All that said, the more I fly the less I seem to rely upon the screen, so for right now I am sticking with the iPhone.

Reactions: Deleted member 3203
I got an iPad mini 2 just to use with the Solo for the reasons you noted, BUT now I am back to the iPhone 6s.

1. The screen seems brighter on the 6s, and the bigger screen on the iPad was washed out in the bright California sun.
2. I bought a screen hood for both the iPad and the iPhone. The iPad weighs more than the controller, and makes the combination top heavy and cumbersome to hold.
3. The processor in the 6s is faster than on the iPad mini 2.
iPad Mini 2 -- A7
iPad Mini 4 -- A8
iPhone 6s -- A9
The iPhone 6s just seems more responsive during flight. I haven't done any tests, however.

All that said, the more I fly the less I seem to rely upon the screen, so for right now I am sticking with the iPhone.
Good info Mr Rose! I've been on the fence about whether or not just to continue to use my iPhone 6 Plus or get an iPad Mini 2. My new iPhone 7 Plus will be here shortly so I'll just stick with this for now.

I use the air 2 and love it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We sell a mount at work that fits it perfectly.. take the old off and put the new one on.

Here is the mount holding a tab s2 & the Verizon wireless sku.

22759e14c06639b6235683918d79e664.jpg

b982fbfdfc1e95b8976d54e4215e42bf.jpg

19924d84caa39a0079daeab937878b50.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well I'll be....

I'll check out your website. That might open a door for me to test using my iPad 3rd generation and find out how well the teathering function works with my iPhone.

Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc