Screws loose...

Reaction score
I keep reading that people have screws that are loose and it's beginning to make me wonder..

Should I be checking the props / screws / anything else before all flights?

Kind of like a pre-check for flying every time?

Thoughts?
Ryan G

If it sounds prudent, it's probably worthwhile. Can't hurt, and can only help. The P3 is having vibration issues with the props and some folks are getting cracks in the airframe.

Are they talking about having "screws loose" on the end of the controller?? ;)
(like someone who flies under trees and next to houses and expects GPS control must have a screw loose somewhere.... )

The props will self-tighten as soon as the motors spin up..

Last edited:
Reactions: Raybro
The screws that loosen are the rotor screws

If it sounds prudent, it's probably worthwhile. Can't hurt, and can only help. The P3 is having vibration issues with the props and some folks are getting cracks in the airframe.

Cracks? Wow.. Vibration issues are NOT good either.

Are you meaning the ones holding the motor pods in or something else, it's really easy to pop off the led cover to check these at least and they do have blue loctite on them. Well 3 of the 4 on my one pod did at least maybe I'll take em out and loc tite them again. The one without Is the odd ball closest to the body is there a reason for this maybe or will I be fine using it there as well?

Are they talking about having "screws loose" on the end of the controller?? ;)
(like someone who flies under trees and next to houses and expects GPS control must have a screw loose somewhere.... )

The props will self-tighten as soon as the motors spin up..
You'd think the props would self tighten (it only makes sense), however that may not be the case. I know of one report - I think from this list? - of someone's prop coming off in mid flight. And with both the Phantom 2 and the Yuneec Q500, there have been numerous reports of the self tightening props flying off. In fact both companies responded by advising operators to use the included prop wrenches to "firm" the props prior to flight. I can't fathom how this happens, but it has been reported enough that I make sure my props are on tight before launching.

I personally am not sure they are from vibration. I think some guys received their Phantoms that way.

My P3 is fine but my P2V+ had small cracks on two arms around pod screws the last 400 miles I flew it. No issues.

I wasn't really talking about the props, but the rotors themselves I guess I will have to have a preflight checklist though now. Make sure this thing stays in the air. :)

Ryan G

Reactions: Adimuzio513
I personally am not sure they are from vibration. I think some guys received their Phantoms that way.

My P3 is fine but my P2V+ had small cracks on two arms around pod screws the last 400 miles I flew it. No issues.
My p2 has these too at the ends near the motor screws my assumption since that's the only place that feels brittle is its gota be heat but would think unless p3 gets really hot it's too early to have degraded that much. I'd have to agree with rich that these p3 units came that way or maybe screws were over tightened if the cracks are near them.
I wasn't really talking about the props, but the rotors themselves I guess I will have to have a preflight checklist though now. Make sure this thing stays in the air. :)

Ryan G
Loc tite blue is great screws shouldn't go anywhere after that I'm going through and redoing mine to be safe, hopefully the other end has metal inserts I'm not sure how well loctite holds in plastic but haven't had problems with my surface vehicles where I've used it and it vibrates a lot, probably lower frequency but a lot of impact. Obviously not an ideal answer for props but it will come loose if one was that worried I would think props being finger tightened should be more than enough if they fall off they probably weren't. The guy I saw here who said that one may have come off also said with all his family there in the moment he may not have tightened them down. I agree if called self tightening they should stay put but maybe they just need to change the name a bit if this keeps up with all three birds.

Loc tite blue is great screws shouldn't go anywhere after that I'm going through and redoing mine to be safe, hopefully the other end has metal inserts I'm not sure how well loctite holds in plastic but haven't had problems with my surface vehicles where I've used it and it vibrates a lot, probably lower frequency but a lot of impact. .

Regular loctite destroys plastic. You are much better off with none. They sell loctite for plastic though. I just bought 3 little bottles of it for my UAV stuff.

Here is just one of many articles

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/39521

Reactions: Adimuzio513
As always Rich... great info. I am going to be checking my props (to balance) and the rotor screws as well tomorrow.

Ryan G

Good info I know most times I've used it it's been on already from the factory I just reapplied but I'd thought the blue was ok for plastics but must have been a specific bottle I had cause the 42 I have now doesn't say one way or the other, I'd bet that the inner screw on the pods must be the only one that threads into plastic then and that's why that's the only one with no blue on it. Thanks may save me a few bucks in the future. I'm sure it depends on what plastic your using but I'd rather not experiment on things like solo.

Apparently the stuff is wicked. Even close proximity to plastic when it gasses off it softens things.

Yikes looks like most of the plastic versions are more like superglue and blue labeled but clear color. Hope what's on the pods doesn't eventually deteriorate anything I know I've seen it plenty on surface rc stuff and it's on the pods or some blue locker is but I remember using a blue for plastic at one point so I'd guess this is what they've used, any way it goes I'll just tighten it all up for now should be fine.

Have there been actual reports of this on Solo or are people worrying about a P3 issue affecting us?

I hope we're not perpetuating hype and rumors here about P3 issues.

Have there been actual reports of this on Solo or are people worrying about a P3 issue affecting us?

In my case when I opened up my Solo, I had one screw in main board half out and one missing. I have read similar from other people that have took battery tray out. So the Solo does have a few QC issues in that area.

The problem with Phantoms is around the motor pods. I think its a bad design actually but in all fairness I ran a V+ many many hours with light cracking. The Solo pod screw setup is much improved over the Phantom in my eyes.

Thanks! I'm hoping we can keep the hype down on this site and stick to the facts. So far everyone has been very nice and have mostly stayed away from hype or hysteria. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea