Reaction score
What about this GPS upgrade? GPS RTK SOLO 3DR (NEO-M8P)
Not sure how this will work, but me personally already have a base station (emlid reach) and would like to know more about this gps offering.....anybody knows a little more about this?

Looks like Drotek is rolling out a number of options for Solo plug compatible GPS. Details are somewhat sketchy and the images of the products do not show parts placements including the antenna.

There is a NEO M8T and M8N option. What would be the advantage if any of the T version?

Looks like Drotek is rolling out a number of options for Solo plug compatible GPS. Details are somewhat sketchy and the images of the products do not show parts placements including the antenna.

There is a NEO M8T and M8N option. What would be the advantage if any of the T version?

Not sure exactly, but here is a screen shot taken from ublox website;

m8n m8t.JPG

Also an interesting read here;

Ublox M8N vs M8T

hope this helps....

why not RTK
Cost is the big one
Having to have a ground station (the RTK solo unit only will not help)
Not sure current solo firmware supports it

I know there is a RTK system coming from Poficnc for the PH2.1
But that requires arducopter 3.4 and higher and MP to configure

solo will have to be on 3.4 before RTK works. This will all be tested sometime soon.

This is what people from drotek answer me on how solo will get it's rtk corrections without any hardware change (other than installing the gps board);

drotek.JPG

Anyways, they are not shipping until later this month (20th I believe) and I have other things going on in my agenda, but I will probably get my hands on one of them next month or so.....

JM

yeah because soooo many solo owners would know how to inject GPS over mavlink
I think I will wait on a tested solution

I tried the Drotek RTK for Solo a couple of months ago and have not been pleased with the results or the customer service. First time I tried it, it seemed to be functioning properly. Then the next time I tried, it couldn't acquire a single GPS. It was strange. If I held my hand over the GPS antenna the GPS count would go up to 9-11 and as soon as I removed my hand it went back to zero. I told them I thought I received a faulty GPS unit, and they let me RMA it. It took them a month to get it back to me, supposedly repaired, but they didn't mention what was wrong with it. It still had the exact same behavior. When I spec'd this it was before Here RTK came out. I wish I would have waited and tried that.

I tried the Drotek RTK for Solo a couple of months ago and have not been pleased with the results or the customer service. First time I tried it, it seemed to be functioning properly. Then the next time I tried, it couldn't acquire a single GPS. It was strange. If I held my hand over the GPS antenna the GPS count would go up to 9-11 and as soon as I removed my hand it went back to zero. I told them I thought I received a faulty GPS unit, and they let me RMA it. It took them a month to get it back to me, supposedly repaired, but they didn't mention what was wrong with it. It still had the exact same behavior. When I spec'd this it was before Here RTK came out. I wish I would have waited and tried that.
I have the Drotek RTK GPS which works seamlessly inside my Solo.
Make sure that you are using a proper shielding, best is to use the 3DR V2 shield.
Also, use the Arducopter 3.5 firmware on Solo to have full support of all RTK features.
I typically get 16-20 sats at hdop between 0.8 and 0.5.
Note depending on your location, it may take a few minutes to move from a RTK-float to RTK-fixed status

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
APM 3.5 requires the Green Cube. Are you fpvsteve using the green Cube or Pixhawk Cube 2.1? Could you please explain your statement about having full support of all RTK features? What would I be missing out on by using my original Solo Pixhawk 2 Cube on APM 3.3-dev?

Last edited:
So I am going to go on record as saying that I definitely DO NOT recommend Drotek. Their "Tech Support" is through a forum which has not been helpful. They apparently banished me from the forum when I complained that the Solo RTK GPS I returned for repair came back (after a month) in the same condition I sent it in. Since then they offered tech support by email, but they never answer. I'm going to try the Here+ RTK.

APM 3.5 requires the Green Cube. Are you fpvsteve using the green Cube or Pixhawk Cube 2.1? Could you please explain your statement about having full support of all RTK features? What would I be missing out on by using my original Solo Pixhawk 2 Cube on APM 3.3-dev?
Here you go. All steps apply for the Drotek RTK as well as for the Here+ RTK along with Solo.
- ensure that you have the latest version of Mission Planner installed
- AC 3.5 is required on Solo. Don't use a 3.5-dev version, go for the officially release (currently 3.5.2) There is plenty of documentation available on how to install and the prerequisites for Solo
- Ensure that the rtk gps board is properly shieled inside Solo (V2 shield, ferrite ring applied)
- ensure that you have the ublox 1.3 or 1.4 firmware installed on the rover and base RTK unit. Some older units may still come with 1.2 preinstalled. Directions on how to update using the u-center software can be found in the ublox forums
- run a survey in process in Mission Planner (2 meters accuracy is sufficient as starting point). Ensure that you have a valid position recorded in MP and save it.
- ensure that Solo has a gps lock the HUD should display a GPS 3D lock status in MP
- now connect with Mission Planner and initiate the RTK injection
- in the RTK screen, you should see green status indicators for Base, GPS and Glonass.
- the HUD should state now RTK-float
- after some flying around the gps status should switch to RTK-fixed after a few minutes

Again, the setup and the prerequisites are basically the same as for the Drotek or the Here+.
The setup for RTK is not really plug and play and it took me some time to get it working but the Drotek support worked always fine for me, Kevin usually responds within the same or following couple of days.

Hello,
I am a bit confused about the station needed to use RTK, There are some stations in my country that say they deliver RTK and PPK corrections for free.. that means the only thing I would need is receiver? how do I acomplish that connection between the drone and the station? and would this DROTEK receiver be of use for my Solo in this case?
Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc