River flooding

Reaction score
Recent heavy rains have led to flooding along the Salt River bottom in south Phoenix. I went out to one location where several motorists had to be rescued from their cars the night before, and shot some video.

At the end of the video you will see a white pickup stop next to me. Across the street, in the upper left corner of the screen is a small wetland preserve.

The pickup is occupied by a Phoenix Police detective. He told me they have been "detailed" to check on the river bottom periodically to check for more stupid motorists. He went on to tell me they have problems with knuckleheads driving into the river bottom when it is dry (which is normal), setting up targets and shooting towards the wetland preserve. This is in the direction of nearby homes and visitors to the preserve!

The police have been having trouble catching the shooters because access to the "shooting range" is difficult and they can't get there fast enough to catch anybody "red-handed". So he asked if I would bring Solo out sometime when they have a mini task-force together, to help catch some idiots. I said sure.

I'm going to take out my 2nd Solo which is still all black and switch off all the lights using Solex even though it will be daylight. Should be interesting.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Recent heavy rains have led to flooding along the Salt River bottom in south Phoenix. I went out to one location where several motorists had to be rescued from their cars the night before, and shot some video.

At the end of the video you will see a white pickup stop next to me. Across the street, in the upper left corner of the screen is a small wetland preserve.

The pickup is occupied by a Phoenix Police detective. He told me they have been "detailed" to check on the river bottom periodically to check for more stupid motorists. He went on to tell me they have problems with knuckleheads driving into the river bottom when it is dry (which is normal), setting up targets and shooting towards the wetland preserve. This is in the direction of nearby homes and visitors to the preserve!

The police have been having trouble catching the shooters because access to the "shooting range" is difficult and they can't get there fast enough to catch anybody "red-handed". So he asked if I would bring Solo out sometime when they have a mini task-force together, to help catch some idiots. I said sure.

I'm going to take out my 2nd Solo which is still all black and switch off all the lights using Solex even though it will be daylight. Should be interesting.

That would be an interesting consulting job. Seeing people doing dumb things from the air is much easier than finding them on foot or by vehicle. Let us know if you take them up on it, and how it goes. Be sure to extinguish the Brite Lites. They would be a dead giveaway......;)

Reactions: Maddog
You'll want the speed sliders on maximum and to be in manual. Makes evasive maneuvers easier.

Reactions: twk01
That would be an interesting consulting job. Seeing people doing dumb things from the air is much easier than finding them on foot or by vehicle. Let us know if you take them up on it, and how it goes. Be sure to extinguish the Brite Lites. They would be a dead giveaway......;)
Apparently they are going to be tied up on some "secret squirrel" mission for a few weeks so I may go out there on my own some Saturday. Launch from a fair distance away and if anybody is shooting, just get an idea where they are set up so I know ahead of time.

Maddog if you stay high enough you should be able to see them with out them hearing you till its time to get a close up of them when you have back up :)

and put on the APC props - most say that it quites the bird down some as well

To catch illegal dumping activity, Houston police force put a remote camera to monitor the dump site. The camera not only caught few illegal dumpers, it even caught one guy abused his child.

Maddog if you stay high enough you should be able to see them with out them hearing you till its time to get a close up of them when you have back up :)
I was thinking the same thing. I need to do some flying down there to see what altitude- distance combination gets me the closest without being heard.

A few days ago I went out and set the speed and yaw to "very fast", something I have never done before. I was amazed how fast Solo can accelerate and jink from side to side.

In quiet environment, you can heard the prop noise half mile away.

I suggest staying low on the horizon as close to the tree tops as you can. It will make you hard to see, harder to hit, and closer in for the video.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc