Ribcage modified GoPro On Solo

Reaction score
Greetings everyone :)

I signed up today to reply to a forum question and then thought I'd start a new thread to hear about other people's modification stories with respect to their: GoPro cameras, accessories or any add-on's... Anything that may have improved people's shooting experiences ?

Many people may not be aware of the full extent to which modifications are even possible. Sure, there have been hacks and cracks for GoPro cameras over the years. In fact that was always one of the great things about GoPro cameras which initially caught my interest, although they have become pretty expensive in the last few years and I'm not as careless to rip apart my Hero4 to make just any modification any longer.

My personal experience with the Ribcage kit has allowed me to swap and combine filters on my GoPro in combination with various M12 lenses for various aerial shots... I'll post some images soon. But I'd really like to hear from others who have found great mods that have improved their flying experience ? Please share your experience and pictures :)

Cheers.

Last edited:
interesting for sure
the tag is a little steep, but as GP4 Blacks come down in price and more lenses come to light it could make for some interesting things

Did you install it yourself? If so how was the process?
Yes it did the install myself.

It was a little unnerving to take my GoPro apart for the very first time and I don't think it's for everyone. If you've never assembled a model car as a child or have a mechanical "sense", then I'd be a little hesitant. Better to ask a tech savvy friend or buy a completed camera (if you can afford it).

But their install video and PDFs were very straight forward and now that I've done it once I wouldn't feel uncomfortable doing it again... I suppose it's like that with anything.

interesting for sure
the tag is a little steep, but as GP4 Blacks come down in price and more lenses come to light it could make for some interesting things
I agree- the GP4's are way to pricey and they really need to drop their pricing to make it more accessible before they lose a huge market opportunity. But the video resolutions and quality on the Hero4 is insane at 4K with a low distortion high MegaPixel lens.... I've shot footage of houses where I could actually see ants moving on the siding with a 4K display.

Also consider that you can add any lens onto the GoPro with this mod... That allows for applications outside aerial photography using virtually any lens (M12, C, CS, your old SLR lenses etc).... Ok that's enough of a plug for Back-Bone :)

Last edited:
I agree- the GP4's are way to pricey and they really need to drop their pricing to make it more accessible before they lose a huge market opportunity. But the video resolutions and quality on the Hero4 is insane at 4K with a low distortion high MegaPixel lens.... I've shot footage of houses where I could actually see ants moving on the siding with a 4K display.

Also consider that you can add any lens onto the GoPro with this mod... That allows for applications outside aerial photography using virtually any lens (M12, C, CS, your old SLR lenses etc).... Ok that's enough of a plug for Back-Bone :)
I'm waiting for the Hero5 before modding anything. Should be out early next year. 8k + 4k/60fps.

I'm waiting for the Hero5 before modding anything. Should be out early next year. 8k + 4k/60fps.
You'll likely see a Hero 4+ next year with some minor improvements based on their history.

Even if they did- it will be years before the software and infrastructure catches up to 8K... We're only now just seeing 4K TV's in homes and have you ever tried editing 4K footage ? It requires some very good hardware to do effectively.

Also, GoPro has been using the Sony sensors in recent years and I don't believe that Sony has announced any 8K sensors... You'll see this in their flagship cameras first before it makes its way down the chain to the GoPro's.

Yes, I record and edit exclusively in 4k. It's not really an issue. I don't really care about the 8k, but really do want the 4k/60fps.

I doubt it will be a 4+
gopro needs a new hero camera to raise the bar on competition
rumors are that along with the higher frame rates the form factor will shrink again
thikness wise

Hi Pyrate,

Again I'll disagree only because the Hero form has never changed and there's an entire industry that support the current design... even the knock-off's use the same footprint. Changing the design also means everyone supporting a Hero camera will need to re-tool to accommodate that.

I don't know of any competitors that directly competitor with the GP4, at least I'm not aware of any that do 4K/30 yet. Personally I think GoPro needs to drop their prices and everyone will run to buy GoPro's again over the competition.

Whatever they do, I hope we're both pleasantly surprised, thanks for your comments :)

Every trade article I've read about the (delayed) Hero5 states smaller form factor, 8k, 4k/60fps, etc. And just because something has stayed the same form factor for years doesn't mean it can't/won't/shouldn't change as technology improves. And just because they've used Sony sensors in the past doesn't mean they can't/wouldn't change. Are you telling me all those vendors wouldn't love to sell customers who upgrade something new instead of them being able to reuse old stuff? That's the name of the tech game lol.

The technology and infrastructure doesn't exist yet... but maybe in a few years. What GoPro may or may not release early quarter 2016 is just speculation (and hype) at the moment.

But I'd really like to hear more about your experience with various mods for the Solo or 3DR.

Last edited:
I've done a few mods (WiFi related), but really waiting until Monday when my 2 dev expansion boards get here so I can start expanding solo using Arduino. I think that's where the real fun will come in...adding sensors, servos, etc. Make it do things it can't currently do instead of just making what is there more robust.

That sounds amazing ! I know very little about that stuff- does it require an electronics background or can anyone successfully do this with little/no formal training ?

I'm guessing you have an idea to improve some aspect of the Solo, can you say what that is ?

There is a ton of info on arduino and modules - it's all open source stuff. It is helpful to know a bit about electronics, but I think you can find what you need to know around the net and also in the many arduino forums.

First project will be adding a strip of WS2812b RGB addressable LEDs to the perimeter of the shell of the Solo. It would look something like this (although this shows a WS2801 strip, which has the LEDs spaced very far apart):
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Another idea was to add servos to the front 2 legs of the solo, so they can retract and get out of the way of the Gimbal/Camera so I can fly top speed with the legs not getting in the way.

Other ideas...backup/external GPS, Separate 4G/Cell connection (not wifi) to arduino in order to control the arduino, change settings, etc). Lidar to detect/avoid obstacles... Lots of stuff. The possibilities are endless :)

After the LEDs are installed, I plan to do some sky light painting with long exposure photography. Hopefully be able to use tower or something to program what I want to draw, and then have the Arduino programmed to show different colors at different times.

Reactions: J R and Dieter
Way to Pimp your Solo !!! That's so cool. Keep me posted on your developments- I'd love to see the collision detection/avoidance when you get something working.

I've got the ribcage air as well. The step where you apply alcohol, proved very difficult on my GoPro 4, the adhesive took well over 15 minutes to release and the LCD was almost drowning in alcohol by that stage. Nonetheless I've managed it too, working fine and the dead-weight is really neat.

I think there are better adhesive removers that could be used such as Goo-Gone, but the alcohol is easily attainable and cheap. Mine came off without any alcohol at all ie. just a bit of pressure.

You'd think GoPro could have come up with a better means of attaching their LCD's- using double sided tape seems a bit unresolved.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo