Return home low battery

Reaction score
So twice now I have been hovering the solo near me a few feet off the ground about to land when the return home was activated by low battery. The first act of the return home seems to be shoot upward to a safe altitude. But should it even shoot up to return home altitude when it's within 10 feet of it's return home coordinates? In one of the cases I was hovering the solo near a structure. When I it shot up to RH altitude is just barely missed an overhanging roof. Seems like the Solo needs fail safe that prevents this when it's very close to the remote. Is there a setting to disable RH in low battery situation? I am not a moron, I fly it home when the battery is low.

So twice now I have been hovering the solo near me a few feet off the ground about to land when the return home was activated by low battery. The first act of the return home seems to be shoot upward to a safe altitude. But should it even shoot up to return home altitude when it's within 10 feet of it's return home coordinates? In one of the cases I was hovering the solo near a structure. When I it shot up to RH altitude is just barely missed an overhanging roof. Seems like the Solo needs fail safe that prevents this when it's very close to the remote. Is there a setting to disable RH in low battery situation? I am not a moron, I fly it home when the battery is low.
It's not good for the LiPo batteries to be taken so low in voltage. But yes, when RTH is initiated it will go to the height you told it to when going in to RTH. You can put it in manual as soon as you see it going into RTH and land it manually as that will save some juice rather than climbing.

Even though you may be 10 feet away from Solo when RTH is activated, the Solo does not know if there is a huge wall between you and the bird at that time so it does the safest thing and climbs to RTH altitude so that it can land exactly where it took of from and that is why you should always launch from a spot that has no objects directly above launch spot.

Here is the thing. In one case, the drone was actually over the launch point. Maybe if it's within 5 feet it should just land?

No. Not if RTL. It goes to the required height, checks its position. Repositions then starts to land. If you want it to just land you have to take responsibility for it and take control of it.

I have the same problem is it possible to disable the auto return to home when we have low battery ?

You can change its parameters in APM Planer and Mission planer. I have not looked to see if you can disable it all together.
In one of the next updates they will be refining the way it works. but that down the pike and we know how that goes....
Also... If it goes to RTL you hit fly and take control. If the battery gets two low it will go into "land now" and I think you can hit fly again to take control (I think I have done this personaly when I was flying in a difficult place) but be advised at some point it will not have enough power to maintain flight.......

yeah I cant remember to hit the record button sometimes, I am not going to lose solo because I forgot to check battery, good luck turning that off

I thought if it was in the RTL cone it would not necessarily go to full RTL height?

Hey guys,
i believe in the 2.0 update RTH is overridden when you are in landing mode.

i am trying to find the list of features in the new update. but am pretty sure that's how it was worded.

what is landing mode
I assume by "landing mode" @Rusty just means that when you are using the auto land feature (by holding down fly button). I don't ever land like that (and if i recall some of your previous posts correctly, neither do you), but it would make sense that if your in landing mode, RTL shouldn't kick in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44