Reply from tech support - GPS Issues

Reaction score
This is related to a trouble ticket I submitted regarding my perceived GPS issues. I wrote: "I am experiencing long wait times for GPS lock"

Problem not solved.

FIRST REPLY

3DR Replies

3DR via gmailmarkup.zendesk.com
Jul 29 (11 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Hey there,

Thanks for contacting the 3DR help desk. We're receiving a high volume of inquiries about the global launch of Solo, so apologies in advance for not helping you immediately: we will get back to you within 1 to 3 days.

Thanks so much, and stay tuned!

Best,

Your 3DR customer support team

Mike Martinez (3drobotics)

SECOND REPLY
Jul 30, 4:47 PM

Greetings,

We are constantly working on software improvements, and whenever a new update for Solo is launched a lot of improvements are made, including the GPS.
Also, keep in mind that Solo’s GPS depends on a clear view of the sky for accurate location tracking. These GPS signals can be blocked by tall structures like trees and buildings, causing unexpected flight behavior, so it is extremely important to fly in wide-open areas away from people. It also can take more time to get a GPS lock the first time you get into a new location, after that it should work faster.

Thanks for your feedback, we're going to pass that information to the developers.

I hope you have an excellent day.

Best regards.

Mike Martinez
3D Robotics Tech Support
Mon-Fri 8am-5pm PST
Sat-Sun 9am-2pm PST
(858)225-1414
(855) 982-2898

I got the exact same thing when asking why it takes 5-10 minutes to lock onto gps and Im in the middle of a huge field. None of my other quads take 30-45 seconds sometimes a minute. Basically what Im thinking is they know and hopefully working on a fix. I hope it is a software fix which more than likely it is.

You've to remember other quads don't necessarily have an as robust pre-arm check, the idea with Arducopter is it checks it's entirely healthy before taking off. So the HDOP is checked, more importantly the sAcc (speed accuracy) is checked from the ublox GPS, also the compasses are checked (there's 3 in the Solo) as well as the IMUs being checked (3 of those too).

If you're logging a call for GPS, give the 3DR support the exact co-ordinates, maybe a link to Google maps of the exact location, provide the time and date and exactly how long the GPS took from power on. It would also be worth including the GoPro model you are using too. That way they've plenty to go on.

I always remember this saying when I'm waiting for the pre-arm checks to complete...
better to be stuck on the ground.jpg

You've to remember other quads don't necessarily have an as robust pre-arm check, the idea with Arducopter is it checks it's entirely healthy before taking off. So the HDOP is checked, more importantly the sAcc (speed accuracy) is checked from the ublox GPS, also the compasses are checked (there's 3 in the Solo) as well as the IMUs being checked (3 of those too).

If you're logging a call for GPS, give the 3DR support the exact co-ordinates, maybe a link to Google maps of the exact location, provide the time and date and exactly how long the GPS took from power on. It would also be worth including the GoPro model you are using too. That way they've plenty to go on.

I always remember this saying when I'm waiting for the pre-arm checks to complete...
View attachment 646

Amen Brother!

I'm not so sure we can attribute the wait times to the pre-arm checks. For example I have an Iris+ that gets GPS lock in seconds (AFTER the first time in any location more than 60 miles from last location). The X8s I've flown were also quick. Hardware differences might be the cause, but there are 100s of changes in the code base for the Solo vs the master branch for ardupilot. So it's conceivable that there may be some software fixes that can bring the Solo in line with other 3DR drones - all of which get lock way faster than DJI phantoms.

On the topic of GPS - more satellites isn't always better for accuracy, but just pretend I didn't say that because I don't want to start a flame war.

Reactions: Jubalr

View attachment 646
Also worthwhile to have another device with GPS and a GPS test app handy and placed on the same location I have been surprised several times by bad satellite views where I expected otherwise.

As was also mentioned, other copters don't do as many tests.

Also keep in mind, you can fly (and especially take off) in manual, and flip to Fly when it is ready.

Also worthwhile to have another device with GPS and a GPS test app handy and placed on the same location I have been surprised several times by bad satellite views where I expected otherwise.

As was also mentioned, other copters don't do as many tests.

Also keep in mind, you can fly (and especially take off) in manual, and flip to Fly when it is ready.

Yep here's your best bet anyway it goes near the ground. Manual is your friend it's simple as adjusting for drift it still hold altitude try it, if your nervous try it up 50 feet first I love it since I did. This also solved any and all gps glitch type issues as well keep in manual until your up 30 feet or more and the quad has no issues and is solid and reliable. Once it hits 20 or 30 feet it gets a lock then gps or smart shots are good to go.

HDOP below 2.5.jpg
I'm not so sure we can attribute the wait times to the pre-arm checks. For example I have an Iris+ that gets GPS lock in seconds (AFTER the first time in any location more than 60 miles from last location)..
Yes and no, obviously the length of the wait is mainly the GPS lock, but the Iris+ and X8 aren't exact comparisons, the Iris+ will take off at HDOP less than 2.5, that's it, simple as that, however, the Solo will not, it also checks sAcc and that check hasn't yet made it to a final Arducopter build yet. So the Solo is definitely being more robust about its decision to take off.

For example, I've had HDOP below 2.5 but had to wait a further 30-60 seconds whilst the software waits for a good value to be returned by sAcc.

I have terrific satellite coverage, my mobile sees good coverage. Paralog reports no sunspots or other solar activity. Yet the Solo sits in a wide open grass field, no buildings within 500', and still takes 5-10 minutes to GPS lock.

Any suggestions?Satellites.png

TURN OFF the GOPRO and try it.... I still contend that some GoPros are worse than others in interfering with GPS

There is no GoPro on the unit, as I had suspected this was a problem (Had issues with my P2 and GP4 in the past)

My Solo locks onto at least 6 or 7 within 10 seconds of powering on. I let it sit for a bit to see how many I can get and then take off.

I have terrific satellite coverage, my mobile sees good coverage. Paralog reports no sunspots or other solar activity. Yet the Solo sits in a wide open grass field, no buildings within 500', and still takes 5-10 minutes to GPS lock.

Any suggestions?View attachment 1161
Does it take 10 minutes every time? Or just when you get to a new location. All my 3DR drones always take longer in a new location, and then lock very quickly (within seconds) after that.

My Iris+ only makes me wait a long time if I've traveled more than 60 miles from my last location. The Solo seems to be more sensitive. None-the-less, once I get the first lock, then its fast from there on out.

Does it take 10 minutes every time? Or just when you get to a new location. All my 3DR drones always take longer in a new location, and then lock very quickly (within seconds) after that.

My Iris+ only makes me wait a long time if I've traveled more than 60 miles from my last location. The Solo seems to be more sensitive. None-the-less, once I get the first lock, then its fast from there on out.
It's been at least 5, and sometimes 10 minutes, regardless of whether I'm in my back yard (clear view of sky), or local park that is clear for 1000' in any direction. I have a FlySight device I use as a Sport Pilot and for Skydiving (www.flysight.ca) and it acquires within 1 minute or less, sitting within 3' of the UAV. Curiously (and it may not be related), if I enable GPS on my mobile phone (which is not used for flight), it seems to acquire more quickly.

It's been at least 5, and sometimes 10 minutes, regardless of whether I'm in my back yard (clear view of sky), or local park that is clear for 1000' in any direction. I have a FlySight device I use as a Sport Pilot and for Skydiving (www.flysight.ca) and it acquires within 1 minute or less, sitting within 3' of the UAV. Curiously (and it may not be related), if I enable GPS on my mobile phone (which is not used for flight), it seems to acquire more quickly.
You are fully up to date correct? The new software patches seemed to help a lot of folks get GPS faster.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44