New Pilot

Reaction score
Hello fellow pilots. I am an Aerospace/Electronics Engineer. I specialize in satellite communications.
I started messing around with drones last year when I got a used Promark GPS shadow for cheap. After getting I found out why it was so cheap...lots of problems. After replacing main board, propellers (due to several crashes) and repairing the GPS reciever I finally ended up with a nice flyable stable drone.
I learned tons about drones and got the bug to move to a nicer higher performing drone.

I bought a bought a very nice but used 3DR Solo this last week for a good price.
I got a 3DR solo drone (excellent shape with no scratches or dings) , two batteries, extra props, controller, chargers (controller and flight battery), gopro Hero 4 black, tons of gopro accessories, a gimbal, a fixed camera mount and nice Lowepro backpack.

Based upon my experience with the Promark the Solo takes flying to the next level.
I had one problem with the setup. The video streaming from the Gopro was not working I could only fly by direct line of sight. After several days of troubleshooting to include disassembling the Solo I found nothing wrong with the drone. I borrowed a Gopro 3 from a friend and Viloa' video.

I found this truly awesome forum while trying to find a solution for the Solo's loss of video.
You guys have put together a truly incredible reference for the 3DR Solo.

I disassembled the Gopro 4 (this is not for the faint of heart) and found nothing wrong. I finally inspect the HDMI port and found three fragile conductors inside the connector were damaged and shorted to the connector shield.

I ended up having to buy a lightly used, nearly new, Gopro Hero 4 Silver and it has been working great.

I just installed a new set of Master Airscrew props and found the Solo is even more stable. Wow!

The next two upgrades will be:
1. Solex
2. GPS reciever. I get relatively good GPS lock with 6-8 satellites, but, having read many pages of posts on this forum and I am pretty sure the GPS reciever must be a rev A. I will at least upgrade to the reciever to a rev B.

Finally I just want to say thanks again to everyone that has posted on this forum.
I has given me incredible confidence in the Solo and know if I do have problems there are people whom I can turn to for help.

- Mike

Welcome Mike- good to have you on board.

Check your private messages (conversations) for an incoming message.

Hello fellow pilots. I am an Aerospace/Electronics Engineer. I specialize in satellite communications.
I started messing around with drones last year when I got a used Promark GPS shadow for cheap. After getting I found out why it was so cheap...lots of problems. After replacing main board, propellers (due to several crashes) and repairing the GPS reciever I finally ended up with a nice flyable stable drone.
I learned tons about drones and got the bug to move to a nicer higher performing drone.

I bought a bought a very nice but used 3DR Solo this last week for a good price.
I got a 3DR solo drone (excellent shape with no scratches or dings) , two batteries, extra props, controller, chargers (controller and flight battery), gopro Hero 4 black, tons of gopro accessories, a gimbal, a fixed camera mount and nice Lowepro backpack.

Based upon my experience with the Promark the Solo takes flying to the next level.
I had one problem with the setup. The video streaming from the Gopro was not working I could only fly by direct line of sight. After several days of troubleshooting to include disassembling the Solo I found nothing wrong with the drone. I borrowed a Gopro 3 from a friend and Viloa' video.

I found this truly awesome forum while trying to find a solution for the Solo's loss of video.
You guys have put together a truly incredible reference for the 3DR Solo.

I disassembled the Gopro 4 (this is not for the faint of heart) and found nothing wrong. I finally inspect the HDMI port and found three fragile conductors inside the connector were damaged and shorted to the connector shield.

I ended up having to buy a lightly used, nearly new, Gopro Hero 4 Silver and it has been working great.

I just installed a new set of Master Airscrew props and found the Solo is even more stable. Wow!

The next two upgrades will be:
1. Solex
2. GPS reciever. I get relatively good GPS lock with 6-8 satellites, but, having read many pages of posts on this forum and I am pretty sure the GPS reciever must be a rev A. I will at least upgrade to the reciever to a rev B.

Finally I just want to say thanks again to everyone that has posted on this forum.
I has given me incredible confidence in the Solo and know if I do have problems there are people whom I can turn to for help.

- Mike

- Mike
Welcome ive had my 1st solo alittle over ayear 1000+ flights on it and its still flying flawlessly. Crashed it twice (pilot error) flying to close to things.the only thing I've had to do to it was replace 1 motor. These birds are really tough. This is a great forum lots of info and its free.the guys on here are always willing to help. The info I get on here keeps my bird flying and its the one thing I don't have to pay for on my solo.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club!
If you have any questions the people here are all too happy to answer them! as well as give you shit for crashing a solo into the ocean.
USMC, IRish, Maddog and many others are very knowledgable about these solos, its like calling solo IT, and its free, and full of attitudes because USMC is old and cranky.

I'm only cranky when I'm sober......... damn... I'm cranky a lot. Aye indeed, welcome to the forum, it's a learning experience and unfortunately a lot of the wiser ones seemed to have jumped ship. Still we're hanging on here and dedicated. I have another HERE system arriving from Jesters Drones today, just installed another green cube over the weekend, so I'm still upgrading my fleet. Maddog has an excellent lighting system and is really really worth looking into. I'm trying to put together a nice video to showcase the upgrades and I hope we can maybe organize a "show off yer drone" weekend, get everyone to post some photo's or video's.

Reactions: Maddog and daniel s
Irishman u just crack me up. .love to read ur posts. ..just for fun I had that dna ancestry done found out I'm 59% irish. .lololo. .

[QUOTErishmanPDX, post: 139170, member: 11321"]So yer only half drunk then...... :D[/QUOTE]
Lolololol

[QUOTI. "daniel s, post: 139172, member: 13576".QUOTErishmanPDX, post: 139170, member: 11321"]So yer only half drunk then...... :D[/QUOTE]
Lolololol[/QUOTE]
Well i Need to buy 12 packs instead of 6 packs .

I'm only cranky when I'm sober......... damn... I'm cranky a lot. Aye indeed, welcome to the forum, it's a learning experience and unfortunately a lot of the wiser ones seemed to have jumped ship. Still we're hanging on here and dedicated. I have another HERE system arriving from Jesters Drones today, just installed another green cube over the weekend, so I'm still upgrading my fleet. Maddog has an excellent lighting system and is really really worth looking into. I'm trying to put together a nice video to showcase the upgrades and I hope we can maybe organize a "show off yer drone" weekend, get everyone to post some photo's or video's.
Would be nice to see photos of the members with their drones.;)

Telling me to get my mind out of the gutter is like telling me to get my drone out of that tree..... you can tell me as often as you like, but eventually, that's where it will end up!

Reactions: Maddog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40