Replacing the GoPro Hero Lens

Reaction score
Hello!

I was wondering what you guys think of replacing the GoPro fisheye lens with a different one.

Has anybody attempted to try this? If yes then I'm wondering how the results are and if you thought it was worth it or not.

Example lens: https://www.amazon.com/5-4mm-Megapi...31330&sr=1-3&keywords=gopro+hero+4+5.4mm&th=1

Some video example I found:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yes it's possible and recommended if you want better overall footage. There's many discussions on here. Try using search. 'Gopro lens' 'peau lens' etc. I'm actually waiting on my cheap Chinese lens to come in. Peau is pricey but some say it's better.

What brand is that lens you're looking at? I couldn't find the name. I swear I've seen that same exact lens somewhere on the Internet for like 20 bucks. For a few dollars more you could get the Peau.

Last edited:
Yes it's possible and recommended if you want better overall footage. There's many discussions on here. Try using search. 'Gopro lens' 'peau lens' etc. I'm actually waiting on my cheap Chinese lens to come in. Peau is pricey but some say it's better.

What brand is that lens your looking at? I couldn't find the name. I swear I've seen that same exact lens somewhere on the Internet for like 20 bucks. For a few dollars more you could get the Peau.

Which chinese one did you find actually? I was just on Peau's website and would definitely buy it if it was on sale but.. it's not so it's $140. A little over my budget.

I did also find this: 4K LENS 3.97mm f/2.8 82d HFOV 16MP Gopro Lens(Flat)

Edit: found a Chinese one here for $25: Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

Does that lens have this problem?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
4.35MM Lens 1/2.3 Inch with Dust Ring 10MP IR 72D HFOV NON Distortion for Sporty Cameras and Phantom 3/4 Drones Hot

Found this one on Aliexpress...

I'm not sure if it had the pink corner issue. I'll have to wait till it comes in to test it

The pink cast isn't an optical problem, it is a lens calibration profile problem. The GoPro firmware has a color calibration baked in that adjusts for the color cast of the wide-angle stock lens. When you change the lens, you get a color cast in the corner as this calibration is correcting for a color change across the glass that isn't occurring. Peau offers the lens profile service to rectify this issue.

If you primarily want to shoot B&W, it doesn't matter much if at all, and you always have the option to correct for this in post-processing manually yourself.

Reactions: brianuc4
The pink cast isn't an optical problem, it is a lens calibration profile problem. The GoPro firmware has a color calibration baked in that adjusts for the color cast of the wide-angle stock lens. When you change the lens, you get a color cast in the corner as this calibration is correcting for a color change across the glass that isn't occurring. Peau offers the lens profile service to rectify this issue.

If you primarily want to shoot B&W, it doesn't matter much if at all, and you always have the option to correct for this in post-processing manually yourself.
What's B&W?

Oh, well I don't do any black and white. If I have a red corner, I can easily fix this post in a software like adobe premiere?
Fix yes, easily, depends how familiar you are with this type of post-process work. You likely will have to make your own color-correction overlay image. Not rocket science, but it can be a bit fiddly.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
True, but if you have multiple GPH4B, it's very costly. I wish the $50 at Peau was a one time cost.
This why I haven't done it yet. The only time I get pink is in the panorama's stitching. That's where Photo Shop earns it's money.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44