Recommended hard wired monitors?

Reaction score
Hi all,
As a new 3dr Solo owner I am already keen to make a few upgrades to get the absolute most from it. I have got the FPVLR antenna kit on order and now also want to get a 7" monitor setup to improve the viewing experience. Thinking of going for hard wiring an HDMI 7" monitor to the handset (to reduce latency) and custom building a small rig to hold handset, monitor, and iPhone (for telemetry and app control).
So 2 questions:
1. Has anyone experimented with a setup like this?

2. What monitors are people using? I have been looking at either this: FlySight Black Pearl 7" FPV Monitor (5.8ghz, 40 Channel with raceband) but guess if Im hardwiring it the receiver side of it is a waste of money. Or this: Lilliput 7" 5D-II/O/P PEAKING Zebra Exposure Filter HDMI Field DSLR Pro Monitor as it would also double up as a good monitor for using with my Canon 5dii when shooting ground based video due to the focus peaking etc.

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.

Hi all,
As a new 3dr Solo owner I am already keen to make a few upgrades to get the absolute most from it. I have got the FPVLR antenna kit on order and now also want to get a 7" monitor setup to improve the viewing experience. Thinking of going for hard wiring an HDMI 7" monitor to the handset (to reduce latency) and custom building a small rig to hold handset, monitor, and iPhone (for telemetry and app control).
So 2 questions:
1. Has anyone experimented with a setup like this?

2. What monitors are people using? I have been looking at either this: FlySight Black Pearl 7" FPV Monitor (5.8ghz, 40 Channel with raceband) but guess if Im hardwiring it the receiver side of it is a waste of money. Or this: Lilliput 7" 5D-II/O/P PEAKING Zebra Exposure Filter HDMI Field DSLR Pro Monitor as it would also double up as a good monitor for using with my Canon 5dii when shooting ground based video due to the focus peaking etc.

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.
I would base my decision on how well the monitor can be seen under direct sunlight. Some displays are better in the sun the others. Even if you'll be using a sun shade you'll still get a lot of glare.

Why not use a 7 inch tablet?

I sometimes put a liliput 7 inch monitor on a tripod next to me for FPV
then I can keep the app on maps
not always

If you're getting something that would work well with your 5D as well check out SmallHD monitors they're fantastic, maybe try to pick one up second hand to save money.

I would base my decision on how well the monitor can be seen under direct sunlight. Some displays are better in the sun the others. Even if you'll be using a sun shade you'll still get a lot of glare.

Why not use a 7 inch tablet?

Any recommendations on monitors with low glare? I wanted to use a dedicated monitor so it could be hard wired and avoid any wifi/latency issues.

I sometimes put a liliput 7 inch monitor on a tripod next to me for FPV
then I can keep the app on maps
not always
How do you rate the lilliput monitor? Have you got the version with focus peaking etc. and if so is it any good?

Any recommendations on monitors with low glare? I wanted to use a dedicated monitor so it could be hard wired and avoid any wifi/latency issues.
Unlike the significant latency you get over wifi when using the GoPro app, when using the Solo app the latency on an iPad is not noticeable at all. Furthermore, it won't be improved by hard wiring a monitor to your controller because the controller connects to the Solo via wifi.

Where a dedicated monitor makes sense to me is if you already have an iPhone and you don't want to invest in a tablet too. Especially if you can use the monitor with another device (your camera).

I don't have any recommendations on a monitor that is glare resistant. I can tell you that I have a year old black perl and I find it useless in the sun without a sunshade. Even with the sunshade I'm not happy with it.

On my iPad Mini I got a matte screen protector. With brightness up it works pretty well. I'm actually more bothered by the shiny reflections of the controller. So far I haven't needed a sun shade with the iPad, but haven't flown in the full bright glare of a summer sun. I've only flown the Solo in Scandinavia and in the northern United States (northern Vermont). Actually I did a 10 minute test flight in Florida once, but I don't recall how the screen looked with just a matte screen protector and no sun shade.

You want to look for a high contrast ratio but if the monitor isn't marketed as anti-glare, then it probably isn't.

If I were you, I'd call B and H in New York and ask for their advice. They deal with photo and video professionals and will be able to give you the best advice.

How do you rate the lilliput monitor? Have you got the version with focus peaking etc. and if so is it any good?

I like it, dont use it as often as I thought I would. Focus peaking is going to help much on a fixed focus lens. Mine does have it
The zebra exposure is a lot more helpful, but honestly looking at the video can tell me if it is blown out.
Mine came with a sunshade as it was basically designed for a DSLR
It mounts to a standard tripod or a hot shoe adapter.

I feel like if your going to use a hard wired monitor, it's not worth the effort unless your getting something in the 20 to 30 inch range. For less money then a decent 7 inch monitor, you can get tablet with better resolution. I have a smallHD DP6 that is 3 years old (use with my Blackmagic camera). The thing is awesome, I have $1200 into it and my 2 year old iPad mini has almost twice the resolution. There's another thread on here where I guy built a whole setup in the back of his car, and it's really nice. But more then I need. I like throwing everything in the backpack and jumping out and doing some gorilla filming. I like the idea of the hdmi out on the controller, so if I was ever working with a director, I could hook up to his monitor and he can direct without looking over my shoulder.

Reactions: pyrate
Hmmm, had thought that a small hardwired monitor would be best but might have a look at a cheap tablet. Have only been using with my iPhone 5s so far as my 1st gen iPad's iOS is too old to run the app. Thanks for the advice.

Hmmm, had thought that a small hardwired monitor would be best but might have a look at a cheap tablet. Have only been using with my iPhone 5s so far as my 1st gen iPad's iOS is too old to run the app. Thanks for the advice.

I bought my solo almost a month ago. Picked up the iPad mini 2 for cheap (wifi + LTE version). Wanted to also play with Tower, so I recently ordered a Nexus 7 tablet (2013 version, wifi only) from Amazon for $147. I had messed around with a Samsung galaxy tab 4 also. The picture on both tablets were great and there was hardly any latency. My vote is look into a tablet. Android tablets allow you to also use the Tower App.

I had one laying around, would not buy a monitor before having a good tablet
I am hoping on getting a Nexus 7 2 gen. 2013 tablet and did bid on a 1st gen Nexus 7, wondering if a fella can get the 1st gen working on the Solo?
I am also wondering if the Nexus 7's use a HDMI connection which could be used on the Solo's controller for FPV, any ideas on that? went to the
trouble of getting a 7" dual diversity receiver/monitor that handles 5.8 ghz and I doubt if I could use it? The monitor worked great for the X380 which
used a 600 mw Tx on it for FPV. I am going to be quad/equipment poor with all of doodads sitting around not being used! :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc