Recalibrate Sticks (How-To)

Did they just casually hand you root access to your device?! Are there any sites/forums you know of with discussions of hacking/customizing the system?

It's been a while but I still know my way around Unix fairly well and can't wait to go snooping around in there.

I was able to get tech support to send me the instructions. I put them on my host for anyone who is experiencing the same issue.

I'm not interested in hacking Solo just yet. I want Solo for what it is (at times). A slow smooth dinosaur that will allow me to setup a shot in 60 seconds or less, with ease and the ability to continue shooting that exact same shot until I feel like it's perfect. Stuff that I still can't do with my Inspire 1 without what feels like a ton of effort and another person helping.

For those that have done the Stick calibration when you get to the step .9
(-Paddle on the top left (hold it up and down several times until you get the vibration) do you ever get the vibration as I have tried multiple times and I'm not.

For those that have done the Stick calibration when you get to the step .9
(-Paddle on the top left (hold it up and down several times until you get the vibration) do you ever get the vibration as I have tried multiple times and I'm not.

I actually did not get the vibration either I just kept moving the stick up and down until the readings on the screen stopped registering.

I did get the vibration but only intermittently. I did repeat all of the stick and paddle movements several times until the numbers did not change any longer.

You need to watch the screen and continue to hold it as it gets to the end of the range. It should give a very short vibration just after you see the value of the Camera Angle go to 0 or to 90.

It's the same vibration as you get when you are not in the stick calibration routine.

Do you feel or hear the vibe when you are not calibrating?

I have had my controller disconnect issue return despite the stick calibration. I am working with Ruben in 3DR Tech Support. A new symptom is that I am being asked to do a level calibration just after I get GPS lock. Then when I complete that and press Fly to Arm, I get a Calibration Error that requires restarting the Solo to resolve. This has now occurred several times over a couple of days. Then I can take off but today my Controller disconnect problem returned. I am suspecting an IMU error at this point. I sent the latest logs to Ruben to see if he can confirm. Yesterday after the level errors and Solo restart, I was able to fly the Solo without further incident. Today, not so much.

I wonder if they see anything in the logs that are leading them to ask for stick and level calibrations, or are just trying random things hoping it will make a problem go away? Or are they stalling for time until a firmware update is released?

A lot of these requests don't make sense to me:
Stick calibration should not affect the RF link integrity between the controller and Solo.
Level calibration should not affect the RF link integrity between the controller and Solo.

Guys... this stuff is not VooDoo. Of course, if they know of a bug that they are not telling you about, then perhaps (and that is a big perhaps) these calibrations could somehow affect radio RF range, but it's a stretch.

I could see that a stick calibration being off could make the Solo think you are inputting stick movements, when you are not. This could cause the bird to stop flying in an auto function and perhaps switch to manual flight, or act the same as if you moved the sticks while flying in Orbit, etc. Stick calibration does two things: 1) It lets the controller know when your sticks are at their limits. 2) And it lets the controller know when the stick is in the middle and not being touched. A stick calibration doesn't do much else.

I also could see that the level calibration could cause the bird to not know when it is level, and cause it to drift instead of holding a position, or not be able to detect when it has landed. A level calibration lets the controller know when the Solo is in certain positions, partially or totally on its side, upside down, and also sitting level. It will help to know its position as it changes in space and to help with landing detection.

If I'm wrong, please help me to understand what I'm missing. ;)

I don't think tech support is trying random things here. I think they are trying to discern patterns and trends and trying to rule out hardware problems to avoid unnecessary product returns. Some of the remedial suggested actions do seem counter-intuitive but there is a lot going on under the covers and the act of performing the stick (or level) calibration can cause some amount of data integrity checking the next time you do a pre-flight start-up sequence. This can perhaps get past the issue.

In my case, the stick calibration seemed to have a strong positive correlative effect on my problem initially but I experienced a regression yesterday. And the level calibration re-do requests just popped up in the last few flight attempts, so this is new information for my case at least. There are 3 different computers (two in the Solo and one in the Controller) involved in this system of systems and getting to the bottom of intermittent problems is difficult.

For my case, at this point in time, I am suspecting a hardware issue -- IMU or Pixhawk -- but I am not the expert for sure.

I am having the same issues both in the solo app and in Tower with intermittent controller loss. Once directly above myself at 100ft it just lost signal and sat there until it regained a connection roughly 30 to 45 seconds. I have the stock aerials and would like to know if there is a recommended upgrade like the ALFE's.

I also have an intermittent problem with my gimble tilting to one direction then re-stabilizing. It is very difficult to produce quality video if your gimble is taking breaks during flight. I called Tech support and was asked if the little light was red when this happened? Really? not that I could see 150 alt. 3ft per second and hitting way points.

I am also greatly disappointed with the Full camera control promised (GoPro Hero 4 Black) that I have to turn on before flight and cant even control unless I land and pull the unit from its holder turn on WiFi access the app and change things, then turn off WiFi, then reinstall in gimble and finally relaunch Solo.

I also have no camera or gimble control in tower it never takes the picture when its suppose to and just fly's the missions at full speed which I would like to slow down. Been looking for a software manual but no luck.

If anyone else is having these problems and have figured them out please drop me a note and help me out. I would like to fly with confidence that my very expensive maybe over advertised piece of tech wonder wasn't really just a fling CIGAR.

My flights have been over a vacant 1.5 acre parcel directly across the street from my home and I only fly at 150 ft alt. when using Tower and have kept it under 300 in normal controlled flight.

So I have to ask when we as pilots are performing a level calibration the solo isn't really level in the positions they ask us to put it into,(ie 90 degrees, left, right, front, back its about 82 degrees) are we compounding variances into our level computations by following the guides and not placing the unit in a true 90 degree posture? Thus narrowing the flight characteristics and possibly creating these problems by problematic procedures. I know I have covered many things in this post sorry I am just a little frustrated.

Im reluctant to calibrate my level after hearing some people say is made matters worse. I get the re-calibrate prompt after putting in a second battery...almost like clockwork. In fact now that I think about it I have had it tell me to calibrate level after every new battery...

As for going into the code and tweaking the stick calibration I just wont do that at all. I too have had issues with short distances requiring a RTH.

My gimbal is working alright 90% but I notice it wont always do what its promised too...Once I had the solo on to show how the gimbal works and it tried to stay level but would tilt slightly as if it was wobbly baby head...

Hey 3DR I really enjoy the time Im flying and look forward to each flight despite feeling a tad uneasy about whether or not it will be my last one. I have backed away from flying in numerous instances for not feeling confident about all sorts of things one being the reliability of my expensive flying robotic camera. I tell myself...Dont worry they'll replace it if its their fault!

I just got a hubsan x4 to start practicing for FPV racing and maybe that will give 3DR some time to come up with a firmware update...

• unfortunately Putty gives me a "network error: connection timed out".
    but im logged into my solos wifi. any idea whats going on?

Once I had the solo on to show how the gimbal works and it tried to stay level but would tilt slightly as if it was wobbly baby head.

I expect you're aware of the initializing while facing south issues often discussed here? A few weeks ago I had some similar wobbly gimbal issues and noticed that Solo was facing directly south on start. Since then I always check orientation wherever I am using a calibrated compass to make sure it's north facing and I've not had a single such issue since. Might have nothing to do with what you're seeing but thought its worth mentioning.

Is it me but since last update i can't execute RunStickCal.sh
it give me error
root@3dr_controller:~# RunStickCal.sh
-sh: RunStickCal.sh: command not found

Thx jj

Last edited:
guy helps im confuse of this procedure.

1. Move the “sticks” on the controller to their maximum ranges several times until the numbers stop changing on the screen <<< you mean if the number looks a bit stopping?
2. Both sticks to all 4 corners.
3.Paddle on the top left (hold it up and down several times until you get the vibration). <<<<< from the top left to down like a pushing left moving top and down???
4.Dial on the top right (move to both extremes several times). this is i dont understand what is the DIAL?

1: Yes
2:Yes, you can move them in a circle or just all 4 corners. You are just recording the amount of movement available for each control
3: Move the tilt paddle up and down a few times
4: The dial is the round thing in between the moves between the 1&2 buttons on the top right corner of the controller

Reactions: DocBr
1: Yes
2:Yes, you can move them in a circle or just all 4 corners. You are just recording the amount of movement available for each control
3: Move the tilt paddle up and down a few times
4: The dial is the round thing in between the moves between the 1&2 buttons on the top right corner of the controller
hello jub thanks for response it works now i been 4 hours how to figure it out and finally the gimbal calibrated now :) the only thing i confuse the dial instructions i though the stick again lol

Thanks very much for posting.

I have a question on what is meant by:

"8. Type 'runStickCal.sh' and hit return. (Note: type 'runS' and hit 'Tab' to complete the command)."

Once I type “runStickCal.sh” and hit return, the numbers start running. Do I type “runS” and hit “Tab” at that point—before moving the sticks?

Thanks again.

Thanks very much for posting.

I have a question on what is meant by:

"8. Type 'runStickCal.sh' and hit return. (Note: type 'runS' and hit 'Tab' to complete the command)."

Once I type “runStickCal.sh” and hit return, the numbers start running. Do I type “runS” and hit “Tab” at that point—before moving the sticks?

Thanks again.
No. the type "runS" thing is for autocompletion on Linux so you don't have to type the whole "runStickCal.sh" out. As you type "runS" and then hit tab the rest of the word "runStickCal.sh" should show up. Since you've already run the script, don't worry about it ;)

Well, assuming you moved all of your controls around to calibrate the extremes when you ran it...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc