Range extender

Reaction score
Looking to get some more range what is everyone using and where are u finding them ty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just know you've tried the search function! Or even paging through the latest popular posts?
Be nice brother........he may not have thick skin as thou....

Be nice brother........he may not have thick skin as thou....
"Sister"! He doesn't have as thick a skin as a girl? :rolleyes: ;)

Seriously... without running the search myself, I can still imagine that a search by "range" will yield multiple results.

Hmm. Someone should make a sticky right at the top of the forum with this information......
Cool idea.... :cool: Ergo, my suggestion to 'page through' popular posts....... so popular it's a sticky at the top of the page.

Of course, other factors can affect range. And for all we know, the OP may mean battery range. That's what I think of in my boat - fuel range... definitely a consideration for max range with Solo - if you want it back. ;)

Reactions: Spectre95
Cool idea.... :cool: Ergo, my suggestion to 'page through' popular posts....... so popular it's a sticky at the top of the page.

Of course, other factors can affect range. And for all we know, the OP may mean battery range. That's what I think of in my boat - fuel range... definitely a consideration for max range with Solo - if you want it back. ;)

Also why I put a link to the god like P2P antenna thread. Not sure what was meant although I surmised it was signal distance.

Sometimes forums intimidate people and just directing them to the info works wonders. Other times not... Either way thanks again for the wonderful community still reading and learning here.

Here is what I see as affecting range...
  1. Wi-Fi antennas
  2. Wi-Fi cards
  3. Environment
  4. Battery
  5. User

Reactions: Spectre95
Looking to get some more range what is everyone using and where are u finding them ty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just search for antenna on the forum..there is a guide that tells all about the three most popular antenna choices ..one of them is the stock antenna,the two others are aftermarket.

Just did a distance of 8450', 1.6 miles on stock wifi cards, no video feed and running with controller as my my buddy stood by with Solex up on his phone to monitor speed. Two witnesses. Used these antennas:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMJI9TA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Expecting at least 2.5 miles when upgraded to the microtik wifi cards.

Screenshot or it did not happen,

lol Just kidding but it would be cool to see a screenshot of that!
How much % of battery was left when you landed at least?

Those antennas are a huge waste. Omnidirectional high gain antennas are not practical for small UAS. 70% of signal is radiated into your crotch and off into lala land, everywhere the drone is not. So that 9db gain is mostly wasted. Where as something like Alfa antennas radiate 100% in the direction of the drone and get you a lot more range and a lot more reliable signal.

Reactions: NightStorm
Those antennas are a huge waste. Omnidirectional high gain antennas are not practical for small UAS. 70% of signal is radiated into your crotch and off into lala land, everywhere the drone is not. So that 9db gain is mostly wasted. Where as something like Alfa antennas radiate 100% in the direction of the drone and get you a lot more range and a lot more reliable signal.
I was pretty sure I heard you or someone say that about these antennas before throughout all of my reading here...thank you for clarifying that again..I definitely won't buy those..in fact,i haven't even put my alphas on yet...haven't had the courage yet to push it far enough to need them.

I have a pair intended for amplifiers at some point. I'm not sure the 9db gain is wasted though. If you have an Omni at 9db and a directional at 7db and look at the pattern graph for the antenna it appears that the 9db is in fact 2db more powerful than the 7db providing it is pointed vertically properly. No?

I have the Alphas. Only made it out to 5100ft standing in the same spot. I understand the radiation patterns of directional vs omni as related to range. I can't explain why an omni would have such a long range except possibly the length. I had them pointing up and matched the angles of the solo legs.

I recently went 1.93 miles on stock antennas with the wifi upgrade, again multiple observers of the flight. I will have to do more testing of stock, alpha and long antennas to make solid conclusions. As to the long antennas, we were all surprised at the range. At best we were thinking they might match the alphas.

Last edited:
Reactions: overdriver999

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M