Radio Interference? Very scary moment

Reaction score
Hi all,

During last week's trip to Thailand, I flew with no problems around a couple of small islands near Koh Samui. Then the next day I tried flying on another island called Koh Tao, and upon starting up the Solo, I got error message of "Magnetic Interference". I moved around a few locations on the beach (no apparent metal objects around me), then finally the error message went away. I proceeded take off the Solo, but the flight behavior seems to be experiencing some delay. About 200 m away, at height about 30m, the Solo suddenly went into RTH mode. It came back right on top of me, then I switched to FLY mode, and landed it. I tried flying it the second time after landing it. Turning it off first, and re-booting according to the sequence of "Solo off, Controller off, App off". Then turning it according to the the same sequence as above". Flight behavior was again strange, and RTH mode came back again after 60m distance, and 20 m height. I called it quits that after around 6pm.
Next morning, I woke early around 6 am to try again, same problem occurred again, with "Magnetic Interference" error message, delayed flight characteristics, and then RTH again. However, worst than the previous day, additional error message of "Solo lost communication with Controller" (something like this) came on, meaning the Solo was coming back to me, but I could not switch to FLY mode. Finally when it was right on top me with 15 m height, the controller finally connected with Solo again, and I landed it manually. This was first time this happened to me, and I was so happy that I could escape a uncontrollable crash on the beach or in the water.

Couple of days later, I flew the Solo again in Bangkok in private land, and no problems at all this time. No magnetic interference error message. No delayed flight characteristics. Maybe "Magnetic interference" should serve as a "warning" for possible problems. I used up 3 batteries, flying at less than 20m height, and within 50 m range, testing the various Smartshot modes. Everything worked fine, except for Zipline.

I have been using the Solo since March, and I have been very happy with it so far. A few friends of mine who owns the P3 or P4, have been surprised by the ease of flying Solo, and the capabilities of the various Smartshots.

Sorry for the long post.

Reactions: Solo Keith
I just (this afternoon) had a similar experience with my Solo 'loosing connection' with my controller and initiating a RTH three times. The 1st RTH I was able to reconnect as Solo was landing & continue to fly. On the other two RTHs, I could not reconnect the controller before Solo landed. The distance was < 20 meters & signal strength was very good up until the RTH.

I think heat may have been an issue in my case as my controller seemed excessly warm in the area your right hand grips. Ambient temp was ~100F.

Go to the app and find the software versions and report back, please.

When it goes into RTH, it will fly back to where it took off from, and land. It doesn't just crash itself into the ocean. It sounds like you're unfamiliar with what it does when it loses connection and RTH initiates. PLEASE read all the instructions and watch the training videos!!

Anyway, it really shouldn't be going out of range at 60 meters. It should be good for hundreds of meters or more depending on terrain and surrounding other WiFi users. A beach is usually pretty free and clear. I suspect there is an antenna or hardware problem in either the controller or the Solo.

I'm still flying 2.3.1 (App) on an iPad Air 2.
Here's the rest:
Solo: 2.3.0-1
Autopilot:1.2.23
Gimbal:1.3.6
Controller:2.3.0-1
Controller FW:1.2.8

Just got another test flight in: same result (controller disconnected within 20 meters of drone and drone initiated a RTB) but this time Solo turned turtle after landing and ruined four props. Ambient temp ~100f but controller was not noticeably hot.

I'm going to recheck Solo's current parameters against previously saved files to see if anything has changed.

If anyone has any other ideas I'd like to hear them. Thanks.

My system info:

App 2.40
Solo 2.40
Autopilot 2.0.20
Gimbal 1.3.6
Controller 2.4.0
Controller firmware 1.2.11

iPhone 6 plus

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads