Predicting Motor POD failures

Reaction score
So all the terrifying motor pod failure stories.... is there a way to test motor pod performance to detect upcoming failures? I have no idea if motors like this exhibit any symptoms prior to failure. I was wondering if fluctuations in power draw might be harbinger of doom?

Nope, not likely. Outrunners generally run flawlessly - right up the the moment they fail.

Yah that is the bad thing about multi's. ZERO glide... The only good news is that the Solo is turning out to be a bit like Joe Frazier (for you old guys). It can take a real beaten, and survive.

I just had a motor go bad while in flight. The pictures attached are the damaged caused from falling 60 feet onto asphalt. 3DR is currently looking into the logs.

Attachments

• IMG_20151104_192700.jpg
    IMG_20151104_192700.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20151104_192839.jpg
    IMG_20151104_192839.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20151104_194124.jpg
    IMG_20151104_194124.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 119
I just had a motor go bad while in flight. The pictures attached are the damaged caused from falling 60 feet onto asphalt. 3DR is currently looking into the logs.
Yowww... That looks painful. Sorry man...I hope it works out well for you..

Don't worry- that'll buff right out!;)

Here's something I just discovered thanks to Earl Gray and others. Been fighting the "micro-vibration" thing for a while, done the ribbon cable, etc, etc. Started reading about motor balancing and asked how to use MP to run each motor by itself. Well, turns out not only is it a sweet function, it's simple and easy too! So, I'm just running each motor and #4 motor is SCREAMING like a shaking coffee can full of nails! Definitely a bearing that would leave me to believe it wouldn't have made it through one more flight. So, it's not the ultimate "is it going to break and when" solution but in this case I'm sure I avoided what would have been an inevitable loss. SOLO, MP, and Tower continue to amaze me at the richness of their capabilities. Run the motor test yourselves, I think you'll be surprised at what you hear.

Here's something I just discovered thanks to Earl Gray and others. Been fighting the "micro-vibration" thing for a while, done the ribbon cable, etc, etc. Started reading about motor balancing and asked how to use MP to run each motor by itself. Well, turns out not only is it a sweet function, it's simple and easy too! So, I'm just running each motor and #4 motor is SCREAMING like a shaking coffee can full of nails! Definitely a bearing that would leave me to believe it wouldn't have made it through one more flight. So, it's not the ultimate "is it going to break and when" solution but in this case I'm sure I avoided what would have been an inevitable loss. SOLO, MP, and Tower continue to amaze me at the richness of their capabilities. Run the motor test yourselves, I think you'll be surprised at what you hear.
Thanks David, that's good to know. I've been planning to do that but now I'm going to make it a priority!

Hey guys just read this about the motor pods, my #4 is super noisy as well. I just sent in a support request with a video spinning each pod by hand and you can clearly hear the bearings in #4. I'm waiting to see if 3DR will replace it. I'm glad I heard it before I took it out again and had #4 fail...

Surely 3DR is sick of motor pod failures by now.
Might be time to release a V2 motor pod which is fully balanced and reliable, or maybe someone else will........

Just an update from 3DR support. They got back to me within 12 hours, and are in the process of sending me a new #4 Motor Pod. I would have appreciated an entirely new Solo but I guess I can't complain.

I suggest that if you suspect a Motor Pod of being noisy, send 3DR an email to their support team and see if they can replace it. Just look at the crashes that happen when it's too late and you have a Motor Pod failure...

I'm glad I didn't wait until it was too late.

Just an update from 3DR support. They got back to me within 12 hours, and are in the process of sending me a new #4 Motor Pod. I would have appreciated an entirely new Solo but I guess I can't complain.

I suggest that if you suspect a Motor Pod of being noisy, send 3DR an email to their support team and see if they can replace it. Just look at the crashes that happen when it's too late and you have a Motor Pod failure...

I'm glad I didn't wait until it was too late.

Hey Manny.. Did 3dr tell you exactly what failed in the motor ??
Was it the circuitry board that's attached to the motor that Failed . Or was it the mechanical aspect of it..like the bearings?? I'm just curious WHERE in the motor that is Failing ?????

I hear all these Solo motor Failing..but never hear what is exactly failings in them ?? It would be nice if 3DR would elaborate a little bit more where their motor are Failing !!

Cheers

Hey Manny.. Did 3dr tell you exactly what failed in the motor ??
Was it the circuitry board that's attached to the motor that Failed . Or was it the mechanical aspect of it..like the bearings?? I'm just curious WHERE in the motor that is Failing ?????

I hear all these Solo motor Failing..but never hear what is exactly failings in them ?? It would be nice if 3DR would elaborate a little bit more where their motor are Failing !!

Cheers

Hey Del,

3DR did not elaborate on what failed in the motor. The Support Tech didn't even ask any questions lol They just asked me for my video of the noise compared to the other Motor Pods. They have shipped me a new Motor Pod. I'll post the video I sent to them so members can hear the noise I was hearing.

From what I have read on these forums, #4 Motor Pod has been the problem on the majority of the complaints that have been posted.

Hey Del,

3DR did not elaborate on what failed in the motor. The Support Tech didn't even ask any questions lol They just asked me for my video of the noise compared to the other Motor Pods. They have shipped me a new Motor Pod. I'll post the video I sent to them so members can hear the noise I was hearing.

From what I have read on these forums, #4 Motor Pod has been the problem on the majority of the complaints that have been posted.
I agree with you on #4 motor being the most failure ..I had to replace my #4 and #2 already do to bad sounding bearings...and #4 was the worse one !

But I'm just curious if it's Bad Bearing bringing down these Solos...?
Or is it something to do with the electronic aspect of it ?

I guess will never know..because 3DR won't tell us it seems ?

Cheers

I think my #1 pod is going to be a problem. Check it out. What do you guy's think?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

WOW.... Less than 10 flights. Just got it the beginning of the month. Unsat calling 3dr in the morning. ; (

I had to send my Solo in for sensor calibration problems, customer support said they has to replace the Pixhawk FC. We pretty much determined this with flight logs and phone support before I sent it in. BTW my Solo was repaired within 2 days of receipt under warranty even though I had several modes done including the GPS mod.

The email confirming repair also said they replaced all 4 motor pods. My Solo flew great, the motors were quiet and smooth. So I don't know if there was an actual problem with the motors or an upgrade or just the fact the logs showed I had a lot of hours on them? CS was not specific and find it unlikely all my pods were bad.

I agree with you on #4 motor being the most failure ..I had to replace my #4 and #2 already do to bad sounding bearings...and #4 was the worse one !

But I'm just curious if it's Bad Bearing bringing down these Solos...?
Or is it something to do with the electronic aspect of it ?

I guess will never know..because 3DR won't tell us it seems ?

Cheers
I too would like to know- maybe if somebody who was knowledgeable about these motors called, they could ask?:rolleyes:

Reactions: Del

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M