Pre-registered to take remote pilot knowledge test

Reaction score
I called my local Airman KTC last week to inquire about how to go about signing up to take the Knowledge Test. I got the impression they are still somewhat behind the curve on exactly what to expect, but they provided the email of the company, CATS in my area, to contact for pre-registration. I contacted them and received an email stating that today would be the start of pre-registration. Today, I received an email requesting a desired test date and location. I am expecting an email within a week with a firm date.

Reactions: jibcamera
E-mailed my local AKTC, and they said the first day of the test is August 29th. I plan on taking it that week, hopefully :)

Get studying everyone!

where do you find study materials?
The FAA has published a draft of the Certification Standards here:
https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/media/uas_acs.pdf
This provides an overall view of what they may test for.

The FAA has also published a sample exam here:
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/uag_sample_exam.pdf

They also have created a course to take online with an exam at the end. I found taking the course very informative, but I am new at all this. The questions seem to be culled from the sample exam from the above link.
Course Link: Activities, Courses, Seminars & Webinars - ALC_Content - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov
One does have to create an account to take the course.

I have found that reading the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, Aeronautical Chart User's Guide, and Aeronautical Information Manual are good sources of information:
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/pilot_handbook.pdf
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/fli...aero_guide/media/Chart_Users_Guide_12thEd.pdf
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/media/aim.pdf

I believe the most important may be the Part 107 Advisory Circular and Operation and Certiifcation of Small Unmanned Aircraft System documents. Everyone should probably read these.
http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/AC_107-2_AFS-1_Signed.pdf
Federal Register | Operation and Certification of Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems

There are other posters who have suggested Study Buddy, or there may be other study exams that commercial vendors supply. I am sure there are other posters with pilot licenses, or work closely with the FAA know more than I do, so maybe they can offer up suggestions.

Hope this helps

The online course is for pilots that are current. All they need to do is take the UAS specific online course. Those without a current pilots license must take the full test at a testing center. That said, the online course, ALC-451, is a good practice for the UAS specific material.

Yes, this is all rather new and subject to change. That said, some tips:

1. There is a sample test. You can find it at the faa.gov site. I uploaded the copy that was current as of July 5, 2016.
2. After each question on the sample test there is a code. For example for Q1 the code is
PLT064 / UA.V.B.K6a and this gives you a clue as to what might be tested. The PLT codes refer to the Learning Statement Reference Guide. I have uploaded a copy of that Guide and highlighted those codes which are on the practice test.
3. The second part of the code (e.g., UA.V.B.K6a) refers to a section of Airman Certification Standards. I have uploaded that for you. In this case you would find task V.B.K6a on page 13, which tells you that Aeronautical Charts are being tested, and you are referred to AC 107; FAA-H-8083-25; AIM which would be Advisory Circular 107, Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and the Aeronautical Information Manual.
4. When we take the test we will be given a Supplement that will contain charts, etc. This will be referred to in many questions (e.g., for Q1 "Refer to FAA-CT-8080-2G, Figure 21.") I tried to upload the "G" version, but I exceeded the limit on uploads. I will upload it to a new message; you can get it at faa.gov. We might get this version, or a new "H" version. So, consider this as practice only.
5. The online course is fine so far as it goes -- it only covers the stuff that a Part 61 pilot would not have already been tested on in their exam.

Some important observations:
a. There is no way that you can read the PHAK or AIM from cover to cover. They are too big, and there is far too much material unrelated to the test. In particular PHAK reads like a miserable excuse for a physics book, and is written in a pedantic tone in the passive voice. I plan to make a listing correlating the Airman Certification Standards to AIM and PHAK and promise to upload it here.
b. Don't give up and don't despair. If you don't pass you can retake the test in 14 days, and they will give you a code as to which sections of the ACS you need to study.
c. Whoever invented all these acronyms deserves a special place in Hell.

Good luck!

Attachments

• uag_sample_exam-20160705.pdf
    172.3 KB · Views: 17
  • LearningStatementReferenceGuide-UAS.pdf
    238.6 KB · Views: 13
  • uas_acs-Airman Certification Standards.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
The online course is for pilots that are current. All they need to do is take the UAS specific online course. Those without a current pilots license must take the full test at a testing center. That said, the online course, ALC-451, is a good practice for the UAS specific material.
How, or to whom, do you prove you are current?

1. There is a sample test. You can find it at the faa.gov site. I uploaded the copy that was current as of July 5, 2016.
2. After each question on the sample test there is a code. For example for Q1 the code is
PLT064 / UA.V.B.K6a and this gives you a clue as to what might be tested. The PLT codes refer to the Learning Statement Reference Guide. I have uploaded a copy of that Guide and highlighted those codes which are on the practice test.
3. The second part of the code (e.g., UA.V.B.K6a) refers to a section of Airman Certification Standards. I have uploaded that for you. In this case you would find task V.B.K6a on page 13, which tells you that Aeronautical Charts are being tested, and you are referred to AC 107; FAA-H-8083-25; AIM which would be Advisory Circular 107, Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and the Aeronautical Information Manual.
4. When we take the test we will be given a Supplement that will contain charts, etc. This will be referred to in many questions (e.g., for Q1 "Refer to FAA-CT-8080-2G, Figure 21.") I tried to upload the "G" version, but I exceeded the limit on uploads. I will upload it to a new message; you can get it at faa.gov. We might get this version, or a new "H" version. So, consider this as practice only.
5. The online course is fine so far as it goes -- it only covers the stuff that a Part 61 pilot would not have already been tested on in their exam.

a. There is no way that you can read the PHAK or AIM from cover to cover. They are too big, and there is far too much material unrelated to the test. In particular PHAK reads like a miserable excuse for a physics book, and is written in a pedantic tone in the passive voice. I plan to make a listing correlating the Airman Certification Standards to AIM and PHAK and promise to upload it here.
b. Don't give up and don't despair. If you don't pass you can retake the test in 14 days, and they will give you a code as to which sections of the ACS you need to study.

Good luck!
I have been trying to collect the references found in Appendix 4 of the ACS. The list seems to be a work in progress, and the AC numbers in particular are not correct. What they list as "AC-107 Small" is actually AC 107-2 Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems. I have uploaded it for you here. It looks important to read.

Attachments

• AC_107-2.pdf
    403.7 KB · Views: 7

Good luck!
I have been trying to collect the references found in Appendix 4 of the ACS. The list seems to be a work in progress, and the AC numbers in particular are not correct. What they list as "AC 150-5200-32" is actually AC 150/3200-32B Reporting Wildlife Aircraft Strikes. I have uploaded it for you here.

Attachments

• 150_5200_32b.pdf
    464.2 KB · Views: 3
I have been trying to collect the references found in Appendix 4 of the ACS. The list seems to be a work in progress, and the AC numbers in particular are not correct. What they list as "AC 150-5200-32" is actually AC 150/3200-32B Reporting Wildlife Aircraft Strikes. I have uploaded it for you here.
Here is another one for you. The third reference listed by the FAA purports to be AC 00-06 Weather Advisory Circular. There is no such circular, but this one is most likely what they intended: AC 00-6A - Aviation Weather For Pilots and Flight Operations Personnel.

Since weather is 11 to 16% of the exam, this is a very good thing to read.

It is a huge file, and is available to download in smaller chunks here AC 00-6A - Aviation Weather For Pilots and Flight Operations Personnel – Document Information

The FAA has also put Lithium Battery issues on the exam. They list three safety alerts (SAFO), but there are two recent ones and a supplement. I made a zip file of all Lithium battery SAFO and uploaded it into a zip file for you.

Bottom line is that the lithium polymer batteries that were used in the DJI Phantom 1 (like those you can get on eBay for $25 or less) are dangerous and must be handled with a high level of care. The advent of smart LiPo batteries (like the ones used in Solo and more recent Phantoms) are a huge advance in safety. Even the smart battery needs to be treated with respect. Make sure that you never place the battery near something that could short the contacts, and be alert for evidence of damage to the battery. Be especially vigilent to avoid overheating of the battery.

Attachments

• Archive_Lithium_Batteries_SAFO.zip
    375.6 KB · Views: 2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks