Travel Advice

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm traveling to Sint Maarten for a week, tomorrow. I have done some searches trying to determine any restrictions or regulations regarding drone use on the island. I found many forum/blog posts and videos, some by residents (sailors) and visitors giving evidence that others have brought their drone with them with no issues with the authorities.

Still, I wanted to be responsible so I reached out to the civil aviation authority to inquire about restrictions or regulations. I'm a little confused by my interaction with them and whether I should take my drone with me.

Here is one of the first responses I got:
As discussed on the telephone, drone/rpas operations are currently not regulated on Sint Maarten. However, an exemption can be granted. That said, I will discuss your request amongst the individuals Cc in this email in order to see if an exemption can be granted in your case.

The "individuals" were described as safety inspectors.

They then asked for more info, which I provided:

With reference to your request for recreational operation of your drone on Sint Maarten, in order for us to be able to do our assessment to see if you can qualify for an exemption you will have to provide us with the following documentation:

1.Copy of liability Insurance;

2.Copies of FAA issued certifications connected with the use of the done( i.e registration, airworthiness, operation certificate, etc..).

The above information will go a long way in our assessment of your request. In this regard, bear in mind that my requesting this information from you does not mean that you will be awarded the exemption to operate your drone on Sint Maarten. This is just part of assessing if it can be operated safely with no disturbance to air traffic or the public interest.

Thank you for your cooperation and I will wait for your response with the requested information.
This was their response this morning:
After careful review of your request and careful review of the past exemptions (which in this regard were only for commercial use of drones), it was concluded that in the interest of aviation safety and the public interest that at this time exemptions will only be issued for specific commercial activities. No exemptions will be issued for recreational use. Therefore unfortunately, we will not be issuing an exemption for the use of your drone on Sint Maarten.

I thank you for your understanding and wish you a safe trip and pleasant stay on Sint Maarten.

And my last reply:
I understand that exemptions might only be offered for commercial operations. Thank you for the consideration.

However, I may be a little confused by some of the terminology. If there are no regulations pertaining to use of UAS/RPAS on Sint Maarten, what does an exemption pertain to?

Thank you again for your time.
My Question: Am I missing something? I was trying to find out if it was prohibited to fly on Sint Maarten and what restrictions (radius from airports, altitudes, urban issues, etc.) which was partially answered in the first call and email, drone use is not regulated. If they had given me some sort of exemption that would have been fine, but I don't think there is any risk of getting into trouble bringing the drone or flying there, if I'm responsible about it. Is there something about the language ("not regulated = prohibited") that I'm missing?

Does anyone have any specific experience with Sint Maarten? I know different islands are doing different things, some pretty drastic in terms of drone use.

Thanks for any help. Of course I'd like to take it but I don't want to be too risky about it.

Kalin

I suspect when they said it was "not regulated" they meant it was not allowed. The official you emailed might be interpreting "regulated" to mean there's an official process in place for anyone to obtain a license/permission to fly.

I suspect when they said it was "not regulated" they meant it was not allowed. The official you emailed might be interpreting "regulated" to mean there's an official process in place for anyone to obtain a license/permission to fly.

Thanks for the reply. Actually the point is moot for now. I crashed while running the batteries down for carrying in my carry-on. So it won't be making the trip. :(

So my next question, when I get back, will be the best options for repair. I cracked one of the arms where it joins the body. Might need a new body.

Why ask permission, when you can ask forgiveness. Just fly, no one in St Martins of all places will care. I've flown in 5 countries without permits and so long as you use common sense you'll be fine.

I commend you for checking. Don't forget the hassle of getting your drone wherever you fly. Carrying of LiPo batteries will be an issue with the TSA and the airlines within the US; read all about it in SAFO 15010. All the lithium SAFO are in the uploaded zip file. This is an ongoing process, and expect that "rules" will change daily at the whim of the checkers. What works one time might not work the next. Spend your time drinking rum on the beach watching the sights.

Attachments

• Archive_Lithium_Batteries_SAFO.zip
    375.6 KB · Views: 1
Why ask permission, when you can ask forgiveness. Just fly, no one in St Martins of all places will care. I've flown in 5 countries without permits and so long as you use common sense you'll be fine.
I think Kalin did the responsible thing by looking into the local regs where he wanted to fly. To me, just flying without regard to the local laws and regs, and just dealing with the consequences after the fact, seems a bit irresponsible. I applaud his foresight for checking first, and I hope he is back up and flying soon.

Thanks for the reply. Actually the point is moot for now. I crashed while running the batteries down for carrying in my carry-on. So it won't be making the trip. :(

So my next question, when I get back, will be the best options for repair. I cracked one of the arms where it joins the body. Might need a new body.

Sorry about the crash. You will be better off replacing the black case/frame. Order from B&H it will arrive sooner, and for free, and when you are home, you'll be a couple of hours rebuilding and be up in the air. .

Sorry it worked out this way. I might have taken the "easier to be forgiven, than to get permission' path my self, especially with St. Maartins

Enjoy your trip. Bring your GoPro and get some great underwater footage

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela