Power 5V camera from Solo....

Reaction score
I want to power a 5v camera (Mapir) mounted to my Solo rather than using the battery. Anyone done this before and could provide a guide? Thanks

I took the 5v signal to the (currently unused) 3DR Bus pcb- Accessory Port

Spliced in a lead and connector for quick install/removal of the two USB power cords to the cameras. See photo. I have requested the current draw rating of this 5v circuit to the accessory port along with the connector specification. I got the answer and don't have the details but the two camera was within the limit.

upload_2015-10-21_12-39-19.png

I'm working on using the aux port - not finished. However this method is quick and clean. I can change to the quad plate from gimbal in less then 10 minutes.

upload_2015-10-21_12-42-55.png

Hope this helps

Awesome this looks great. You had to teardown the Solo (detach motors and legs) to get at that location right?

I took the 5v signal to the (currently unused) 3DR Bus pcb- Accessory Port

Spliced in a lead and connector for quick install/removal of the two USB power cords to the cameras. See photo. I have requested the current draw rating of this 5v circuit to the accessory port along with the connector specification. I got the answer and don't have the details but the two camera was within the limit.

View attachment 1636

I'm working on using the aux port - not finished. However this method is quick and clean. I can change to the quad plate from gimbal in less then 10 minutes.

View attachment 1637

Hope this helps
Nice!

Reactions: Burkeam
Yes a full teardown

Did the ribbon cable on yours break free on it's own, or are you doing something with it? Mine did as I was putting it back together. That is going to take some serious soldering skills to get it back. Does it work with the aux port connected?

Yea it broke on me - two lead so I removed for now. In the future I will try to unmount the aux port of when taking apart else it's pretty tight and easy to break. Now that I have the aux connector I'll resolder mine. Here the connector info.

Last edited:
Just realized that was a bad photo. Mouser P/N 656-TX2430R6STN1E. MFG P/N TX24-30R-6ST-N1E

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-23_17-30-58.png
    upload_2015-10-23_17-30-58.png
    368.1 KB · Views: 137
my bad,

I broke the ribbon cable when doing the mod. Now I have the connectors for the solo aux port - shown in photo, I plan on re-solder it back together and take the 5v feed from the aux connector

Thanks,

So is the piece you bought is just the port connector. You soldered the existing ribbon cable back on. How did that go?

Yes the port connector.
I haven't soldered it back it as I haven't had her opened up. It will go fine as I've I've done my share of ribbon cables. I might replace it with another 1" longer piece to relieve the strain a little.

Thanks. What is a good source for a replacement cable? Mine is all closed up again, do you know how many wires the ribbon cable has?

Yes the port connector.
I haven't soldered it back it as I haven't had her opened up. It will go fine as I've I've done my share of ribbon cables. I might replace it with another 1" longer piece to relieve the strain a little.

Ok So I opened mine back up and I see it is a 13 wire cable. Also there are spaces for 23 connections both on the main board and the 3dr bus board that the aux port is soldered into, but the cable is only connecting 13. Do you think there would there be any reason to connect to make the other 10 connections since I am already replacing the cable?

Just reading through this thread, I also broke 4 leads on that accessory port connector, was wondering how that new connector installation went? I might want to do the same thing.

Another option would be to solder a 5v UBEC off one of the ESC solder points which are easy enough to piggy back off.

Reactions: Burkeam
Just reading through this thread, I also broke 4 leads on that accessory port connector, was wondering how that new connector installation went? I might want to do the same thing.
I haven't gotten around to soldering it back together.

I haven't gotten around to soldering it back together.
Hi Burkeam,
I am installing a Sequoia camera (requires 5V, 2A) on my solo and I am hesitating between powering solutions:
- separate powerbank, with UBEC,
or
- power line from Accessory bay :
Either
from the 5v (which pins ?)
Or
from the battery line (P1 PINS 1 & 2 ?) with Step down convertor.

As you seem knowledgeable on this, which way would you recommend ?

Just realized that was a bad photo. Mouser P/N 656-TX2430R6STN1E. MFG P/N TX24-30R-6ST-N1E
Hi Burkeam,
I have a (small) concern with the CONNECTOR P/N which is different from the 3DR Solo Development guide : 3DR speaks of a Mouser JAE SJ038252 ?
Is yours a cross reference ? Are they both good ?
Regards Michel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo