Pod power plug repair

Reaction score
150100232477015120244.jpg I made a rookie boner while reinstalling one of my pods. As i hope you can see from the photo the female plug on the bottom front of the pod. I'm sure there is a way to reattach it. BUT I don't know it. Anyone out there has the correct technique. I'm sure this is not the first time someone done this.

Paddle tip on the soldering iron or very careful masking and a hot air wand...

Reactions: Maddog
Well, in looking at a good one, it looks like the gold contacts on the side of the plug just contact the metal "wires" on the circuit board by pressure.

I can't tell how the plug is attached to the circuit board. Does it look like it was soldered on? If there is no electrical connection there, and I don't think there is, I would try reattaching with super glue or 2-part epoxy.

If you go that route I would clean the 2 metal attachment points with isopropyl alcohol, apply adhesive and hold in place until it "grabs". Then let it set up overnight and test it.

Edit: if it was soldered, try what just_bruce suggested.:)

It is soldered on.

Though if one were feeling froggy, one could try precision application of conductive epoxy or glue.... I wouldn't, but in theory it would work....

Reactions: Maddog
Paddle tip on the soldering iron or very careful masking and a hot air wand...
It is soldered on.

Though if one were feeling froggy, one could try precision application of conductive epoxy or glue.... I wouldn't, but in theory it would work....
i figured it is soldered on but I didn't know how to resolder it until I read your post. I think if you applied solder to the 2 bottom points on the plug, you could then hold the plug in place and re-melt the solder by heating the metal part that sticks out of the bottom.

Do those 2 points conduct current? I thought they might just be attachment points.

Is that what you were thinking?

Flux the two outer points, then use a high wattage medium tip to secure them. Flux all the small points at once, use a high-wattage, temp controlled iron with a wide paddle tip, pre-tinned. Touch all the board to leg vontactpoints, evenly, along the edge away from the plastic. Hold long enough for solder to flow. Check all points with a pinpoint or needle for movement, switch to 0.2mm tip for any rework or follow-up. Use flux, it's your friend.

I would toss it. Motor pods are cheap on eBay. For me its not worth taking a chance to save a few bucks

I'd see about removing the motor itself.... that'd be the expensive bit, and might come in handy down the line.

Thanks all. I tried super glue if was a no go. Thought about solder but could not see any evidence of original solder so dis counted it. I have decided to do both suggestions above. Remove the motors and buy replacements ( about 40 bucks on amazon.
Here's one thing for other rookies to remember when taking motors off and reinstall them. When removing them push the wires toward the motor, it takes the pressure ok the subject plug. Conversly, gentenly pull the wires in toward the mother board to protect the plug. This also makes reinserting the pod, in fact it was much easer getting the pod to reseat.
Again, thanks to all

I would toss it. Motor pods are cheap on eBay. For me its not worth taking a chance to save a few bucks
I would second that. Trying to get both the mechanical and electrical connections to line up and stick will be a real bear. A motor pod will run you between $25 to $40 on eBay, and many of them are new.

Thanks all. I tried super glue if was a no go. Thought about solder but could not see any evidence of original solder so dis counted it. I have decided to do both suggestions above. Remove the motors and buy replacements ( about 40 bucks on amazon.
Here's one thing for other rookies to remember when taking motors off and reinstall them. When removing them push the wires toward the motor, it takes the pressure ok the subject plug. Conversly, gentenly pull the wires in toward the mother board to protect the plug. This also makes reinserting the pod, in fact it was much easer getting the pod to reseat.
Again, thanks to all

I'd suggest getting a refurbished Solo. Will provide lots of spare parts for only a little more than you could get one new motor pod.

Thanks Ismael, I'll try it just so I can say I can do it.
Andrew, I get spare parts from crashes,but your right, it's a cheap way to get parts. I call the cadavers

Wow. I'd hate to be your 'ol lady...Sensitive and gentle apparently you are not! ( That was supposed to be a joke, btw). I've changed out numerous motor pods on many of my Solos and have never seen anything like the picture you posted.....and I have at times been less than gentle myself. Just wanted to say thank you for posting and know that you've reminded a Solo owner to be evermore cautious. Have a good one.

I did a lot of micro repair in USMC, component repair to circuit boards aircraft's and computer boards.

Sorry about reading this post late.
You need to use a technique called surface soldering. You can look at videos on the internet to learn how to do the soldering.
But you will need some soldering paste, flux and a heat gun or a soldering with a very fine tip. Make sure use low heat at the direct point where the connectors come together on the circuit board or you with damage the board or connector.

Micro component surface soldering

I mean to say a soldering station with adjustable heat with a very fine tip or heat gun with very fine come tip or a soldering gun with all very tip, but you will have to control the heat manual, and do not forget the paste and flux.

Do not use regular soldering because you will have to use too much heat to get the solder to begin to melt

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig