Pixhawk (Black cube) ‘standard’ carrier boards

I guess I quoted the wrong post when I replied. Let me try again and maybe my original response will make more sense:

So in response to that specific post, I had just wanted to point out that there isn't a 'problem' with the black cube. The 'problem' is with the Solo's ESCs. The stock cube operates at 3.3v like any other flight controller would.

I'm not saying anyone should or should not add level shifters, flux capacitors, or a garbage disposal to a carrier board... just there isn't a 'problem' with the stock cube. :)

With all that being said, I had contacted ProfiCNC / Hex last week about buying their standard carrier boards a la carte, and the replies I received were:

"The Standard carrier board is not for sale, you can buy the Intel carrier board from our distributors."

And

"The carrier board has been sold out in US. You can order the Intel Carrier Board from Spanish distributor Stockrc. Thank you!

Intel Edison Carrier Board including PSM without the cube and Edison Chip

Should you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact us."

Unfortunately, at that price, it would be cheaper to buy another complete Pixhawk flight controller than to try and reuse our stock Solo 2.0 cubes.

Maybe if enough of us asked (and if the price was reasonable), ProfiCNC / Hex would make another run of their standard carrier boards (non-Edison since we already have the IMX-6s).

I would also be interested in several simplified carrier boards if you guys decide to make them. For me, the smaller the footprint and lighter it is the better.
In which case, please accept my apologies.

Do you just enjoy pissing on people's parades or something? I'm not asking you to do the layout or testing work so I fail to see why you insist on publicly pooh-poohing the idea.

Whoa up there big fella, I’m not doing anything of the sort and frankly have no idea what has set you off mate - there’s nothing in my post that warrants this kind of response.

I pointed out that there are processes one would need to go though to modify the board, which people sometimes dont fully consider (design, prototype, test and manufacture etc) Anyone that has been through these processes knows the overhead (others may not)

Suggest you re-read my posts, I have not disagreed with you at any point. I was reminded by kennamer where the issue lies, so publicly face palmed myself.

In other news, I have forked the 3DR pixhawk hardware repo and started going though and converting into formats more accessible to the masses (Eagle and Circuit Maker) That way anybody can modify, create outputs etc. without the need for Altium (It is awesome but $$$) Working on the CBs, PSM and Mini Breakout first. (If anyone has done this previously, I can’t find them)

In the meantime, have also got some quotes coming for manufacture and assembly of these. Will share the costs once I have them and anyone that is interested can let me know - will then look at feasibility of organising a run (most likely Mini CBs)

Reactions: Arny58 and MrSteal
Whoa up there big fella, I’m not doing anything of the sort and frankly have no idea what has set you off mate - there’s nothing in my post that warrants this kind of response.

I pointed out that there are processes one would need to go though to modify the board, which people sometimes dont fully consider (design, prototype, test and manufacture etc) Anyone that has been through these processes knows the overhead (others may not)

Suggest you re-read my posts, I have not disagreed with you at any point. I was reminded by kennamer where the issue lies, so publicly face palmed myself.
I guess I need to start repeating to myself (possibly out loud) "text conveys emotion poorly. The way you read it probably isn't the way they wrote it". Sigh.

I owe you an apology as well. I'm gonna go sit in the corner and think about what I've done.

I guess I need to start repeating to myself (possibly out loud) "text conveys emotion poorly. The way you read it probably isn't the way they wrote it". Sigh.

I owe you an apology as well. I'm gonna go sit in the corner and think about what I've done.
All good mate, appreciate the apology :)

Indeed text can often convey the incorrect emotion, and clearly has done in this case. It is something I consider each time I post on any forum, may have missed the mark on this one, as I do honestly think it’s a good idea.

All good mate, appreciate the apology :)

Indeed text can often convey the incorrect emotion, and clearly has done in this case. It is something I consider each time I post on any forum, may have missed the mark on this one, as I do honestly think it’s a good idea.
I think we could all do with a drink.... ah who am I kidding... that didn't require thinking at all....

Sounds like a promising endeavour, if the price is right id like 1 as well!

I sent an email to Hex and links to three posts in this forum letting them know people are interested in carrier boards for their stock 2.0 cubes. If you guys want to try to get them motivated, send an e-mail as well expressing your interest. If enough people write, maybe they will consider selling the standard (non-Edison) carrier by itself to us. It worth a shot anyway...

The address is: [email protected]

Last edited:
Reactions: Arny58
10 Mini CB sets have been manufactured and ready to ship (including Mini Breakout boards) - waiting on an assembly quote before making a decision on next step.

Depending on the assembly cost, might provide these in kit form for anyone interested in arranging their own assembly, though keep in mind there are some 0402 SMT’s and components mounted on both sides of the board.

As this is just a prototype run, I’ll only have a few available in the short term. If there s enough interest I’ll kick off a 50 or 100 unit production run.

Estimated costs so far in USD (Will reduce on larger run)
Mini CB bare board $10
Mini Breakout bare board $5
All components, headers and CB to Breakout cable $15
Assembly $TBA

Also required..
Pixhawk2 PSM $35 - Power Selection Module - Pixhawk2
Pixhawk2 cable set $15 - Pixhawk2.1 Cable Set - Pixhawk2

I’ll post again as soon as I know the assembly cost.

Reactions: Arny58 and yarrr
I can't tell by the photo, but this will allow the use of the stock 2.0 cube in a DIY multirotor?

I can't tell by the photo, but this will allow the use of the stock 2.0 cube in a DIY multirotor?

That was the wrong photo, so removed it - these should provide a better idea of what is 'hopefully' ready at the factory. For now, just bare boards, but i'll add some more pics later that have all the components included.

Above and below view of the Mini CB - Cube connects to top, PSM and all other components and connectors below.
upload_2018-2-25_0-43-5.png upload_2018-2-25_1-1-15.png

This is the mini break out board for connecting to RX, ESC's, Servo's etc. (15 pin cable connects between it and the mini CB) its optional, but for $5 may as well have one - otherwise you can just customise the15 pin cable to connect directly the components.
upload_2018-2-25_0-34-28.png

Last edited:
I see it now! That looks awesome. I like the breakout board option for the header pins if you want them. That way it keeps the carrier even smaller with flexible mounting options. Very nice! It should be able to connect to the IMX6 and use its onboard WiFi card for the RX!

I'm in for at least one for starters (when available), and have a friend that will take one or two as well!

Amazing job!

:)

Prototype boards have arrived. Is going to be a few weeks (at least) before I get these assembled as I have some other things going on taking priority at the moment.

Front and rear view of Mini CB’s and Breakout boards.
074E5EF2-1660-4E68-9F1C-326619C235A3.jpeg

Closeup of Top of Mini CB
4CCF7DDE-7683-4782-BFBB-11D65E63BC75.jpeg

This photo shows the HEX/ProfiCNC PSM sitting in place on the rear of one of the boards (not soldered at this stage)
B1EAAA47-F05A-4EAC-B520-0E6BB9B36556.jpeg

In the meantime, if anyone is interested in getting hold of a set of bare boards (Excluding PSM) for their own assembly and testing, PM me with your location and zip or postcode and I’ll let you know the postage cost. I can also provide an updated BOM, including supplier details that sell the components without crazy MOQs. I only have 4 or 5 spar sets, so first in best dressed. Though keep in mind you will need micro/reflow solder skills and equipment (or know someone who has) - electronic or phone repair shops can usually do this at a reasonable cost.

Otherwise, hang tight and I’ll get them finished off as soon as I can, and we can start testing them to see if a production run is feasible.

I don't have the capability to solder SM parts, but I would definitely like one of the completed assemblies when finished!

They look amazing! Great job! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc