Pairing Problem

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm having trouble getting my Solo to Pair with my controller. I've been in touch with support, but I figured I'd post on here too. I'm currently in the process of doing a Factory Reset because support told me to do so. When I get to step #4 as listed here: http://3drobotics.com/kb/factory-reset/ I have zero luck. Pressing the Pair button does not trigger any response by the controller.

I've power cycled and tried again multiple times. I've also tried starting the whole factory reset process over again. Except now when I try to restart the factory reset process, the orange/amber indicator light on the accessory bay never starts blinking.

So I guess I have two problems. 1.) Factory reset does not initiate on the Solo (it does on the controller). 2.) Pressing the pair button does not work.

I've also removed batteries.

Other info that might be helpful:

Indicator lights inside controller are operating as expected. LED lights on solo are Red in front and blue in back.

iPhone 5s also will not connect to sololink. It recognizes the network and successfully joins the network, but when I open the app it says "disconnected" and I can't access the Solo settings. Everything I just mentioned (from "indicator lights" and on) was already happening BEFORE the attempt at a Factory Reset.

I would set aside some time and call support, then have them walk me through it step by step. It may take several tries to get through, but there is nothing like a human on the other end for a new multi step process. It is very easy to misinterpret something, and cumbersome to do this type of thing over email. With a live person, you will end up finding out you are either missing something or it's broke. Either way, you will know the next step.

I just got my solo this evening. I turned it on, then the controller and then the app. Used the password and was linked. Then I started to do the pre-flight updates as it says and it got to where it was supposed to update the controller and it didn't seem to want to move past that point it kept wanting to start over. And then it would not connect to aircraft, or at least the app can't find it, I don't know if it is actually paired to controller.

If the app is not connecting it may be something with the tablet or phone, whatever you are using. I have occasionally had to shutdown my tablet and restart it to get the app to connect to Solo.

Ok so for anyone elses knowledge there is a rare bug that can cause the Solo to act as a controller and put out a WiFi signal too. Follow this pdf and it will fix it. Thanks 3DR for timely response.

Attachments

• Double SSID Solo recovery.pdf
    84.1 KB · Views: 254
Reactions: Raybro
Hi everyone,

Sorry for not responding sooner. I ended up having to send my Solo into 3DR. The support was very easy to deal with and super informative. Also the turnaround was very fast. I was expecting 6 weeks and it was back in two. Since it's been back I've had no problems.

One Quick Story that might be helpful:
Long story short, prior to all these problems my Solo had a few rough landings. I would press the fly button to get it to land but it would just end up bouncing on the ground aggressively until it flipped itself over. On one of these aggressive landings, it flew itself into the bumper of my friend's car.

Because of this I was afraid to let it land itself again. So the next time I caught it in my hand instead. But the propellers wouldn't stop. So I carefully reached up to try to power it down manually. Because I was worried about the propellers hitting my hand, I wasn't being very careful. So instead of finding the power button I found the battery eject button. So I forced the battery out by mistake while the Solo was still in full operation.

I'm not sure if it was the face-first crash into my friend's car or the accidentally battery eject, but it was after this that my controller and Solo refused to pair up. Maybe someone can learn from my mistake.

One last, less-related thing, is that I now always catch the Solo instead of letting it touch the ground whenever possible. Once the landing mode is initiated, I simply let it land in my hand gently. If you hold your hand steady, it will think it's on the ground and power down it's propellers. If not, hold A+B+Pause at the same time (a bit difficult with one hand).

Have you tried holding the throttle all the way down and to the left to shut down the motors?

I had not heard of that method. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime. Since my Solo was shipped back to me I haven't experienced any problems whatsoever. But I'll keep this in mind in the future. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Sorry for not responding sooner. I ended up having to send my Solo into 3DR. The support was very easy to deal with and super informative. Also the turnaround was very fast. I was expecting 6 weeks and it was back in two. Since it's been back I've had no problems.

Long story short, prior to all these problems my Solo had a few rough landings. I would press the fly button to get it to land but it would just end up bouncing on the ground aggressively until it flipped itself over. On one of these aggressive landings, it flew itself into the bumper of my friend's car.

Because of this I was afraid to let it land itself again. So the next time I caught it in my hand instead. But the propellers wouldn't stop. So I carefully reached up to try to power it down manually. Because I was worried about the propellers hitting my hand, I wasn't being very careful. So instead of finding the power button I found the battery eject button. So I forced the battery out by mistake while the Solo was still in full operation.

I'm not sure if it was the face-first crash into my friend's car or the accidentally battery eject, but it was after this that my controller and Solo refused to pair up. Maybe someone can learn from my mistake.

One last, less-related thing, is that I now always catch the Solo instead of letting it touch the ground whenever possible. Once the landing mode is initiated, I simply let it land in my hand gently. If you hold your hand steady, it will think it's on the ground and power down it's propellers. If not, hold A+B+Pause at the same time (a bit difficult with one hand).
Is there a reason you don't land it manually? Much safer to land in manual mode.

Ok so for anyone elses knowledge there is a rare bug that can cause the Solo to act as a controller and put out a WiFi signal too. Follow this pdf and it will fix it. Thanks 3DR for timely response.
Thanks for posting that information. I've never seen that.
So is everything in order now? Are you in the air?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Man! I would never attempt a hand catch.....very dangerous. Just use you throttle and slowly bring it down. It is very stable and you can land it very gently. As soon as you are on the ground hold the throttle all the way down and the motors will cut off.
2013060614.37.56.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44