Open Solo 2.5-RC2 is out

Thanks Matt. At the moment I have parked the Green Cube for commercial work. I am planning on doing a few short flights with it tomorrow. Is there any parameter I can change on it regarding logging to try to knock the slow looping down. I have changed the Disarm time to 12 just in case some how my 8 seconds ran out just as I took off and Solo did not know it. Psychologically maybe that will help me.

Disabling the gimbal logging took a good chunk out of it, taking the slow loops down to about 20%. This is generally useless data for normal operations.
  • Finding a more efficient dataflash LOG_BITMASK parameter will reduce the amount of unneccessary data being logged, and shave that down some more.
  • Other inefficiencies TBD.
I'm sure you've looked at this, but is it possible that the mSD write speed is impacting the loops? I know that most Linux kernels will use a cache by default, but I'm not sure if the cache has been turned off to prevent data loss due to power loss or other issues, ensuring logs are written as the data is generated. If there isn't a cache, I'd be surprised to see a higher-quality mSD card not reduce the incidence of the slow loops.

Thanks Matt. At the moment I have parked the Green Cube for commercial work. I am planning on doing a few short flights with it tomorrow. Is there any parameter I can change on it regarding logging to try to knock the slow looping down. I have changed the Disarm time to 12 just in case some how my 8 seconds ran out just as I took off and Solo did not know it. Psychologically maybe that will help me.
Not really. It's changes that have to be made to the code. You could change LOG_BITMASK to 0, which would completely disable logging. But I don't think that's necessary.

Tens of thousands of Solos are cruising around with this problem for 2 years now. So I don't think it's something to lose sleep over.

Not losing sleep just being cautious with expensive payloads. After all my green cube Solo had become the go to aircraft until my little anomaly.

Matt,
Being a long time Ardupilot I have a hard time changing old habits like landing and power off with the sticks down and "out". When I try to do that with Solo GC ArduCopter 3.5.3 it does not seem to respond. I land and then do the disarm stick position and it seems to simply respond to the right stick being out and flips over and disarms only because Solo detects a crash.

So the question is does the normal Arducopter disarm work with the Solo? Thanks

Matt,
Being a long time Ardupilot I have a hard time changing old habits like landing and power off with the sticks down and "out". When I try to do that with Solo GC ArduCopter 3.5.3 it does not seem to respond. I land and then do the disarm stick position and it seems to simply respond to the right stick being out and flips over and disarms only because Solo detects a crash.

In which mode? In stabilize, it will respond to the down/left stick gesture. In the other modes, it should disarm as soon as landing detection clears, which is a matter of a second or two. If the latter is not working, make sure parameter PILOT_THR_BHV is set for 7.

Matt,

I had this happen to me also. Not sure if I let up on the throttle too soon or what, but Solo took off and flipped. No damage. Now I just make sure throttle is all the way down and don't worry about down and left. I haven't flown my other Pixhawk quads in a while so we will see how long it takes for my little brain...

Matt,
After losing my Solo to deep I'm in the process of rebuilding my backup. I've a Green Cube to put in it after I do the update procedure with the existing black cube however I've hit a snag. The controller (which I used with my now-lost GC solo) has OpenSolo on it but of course the replacement solo does not. The controller complains of a version mismatch. Solex won't let me download anything to it.
Have you a way to get me past this?

TIA.

Matt,
After losing my Solo to deep I'm in the process of rebuilding my backup. I've a Green Cube to put in it after I do the update procedure with the existing black cube however I've hit a snag. The controller (which I used with my now-lost GC solo) has OpenSolo on it but of course the replacement solo does not. The controller complains of a version mismatch. Solex won't let me download anything to it.
Have you a way to get me past this?

TIA.
Ugh. Never mind. I'm being stupid.
I forgot about the clobber-the-files on the GOLDEN partition trick.

I don't know if this is useful to anyone or not: I created an image of the Solo IM6 SDCard after completing the Green Cube + Here compass install. I checked it by taking the image twice, once with dd under linux and again with the HD Copy Tool under Windows then verified that they sum'd the same.

That is certainly a useful thing to have, maybe not for everyone since you must unglue the SD card from the Solo to use it. But Thanks!!
Unfortunately, the file seems to be corrupt.

That is certainly a useful thing to have, maybe not for everyone since you must unglue the SD card from the Solo to use it. But Thanks!!
Unfortunately, the file seems to be corrupt.
Is it? I wonder if DropBox had not fully sync'd it when I posted the message.
I just used the link to download the file to another account and it compares with the original. I see a size of 8168931328 bytes and an md5sum of "7a7b84da5a9f82f9c3f04dbb4367ba6b".

Seems like I tried to download the folder it was in on dropbox which resulted in:
ls -la 3drSolo.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 kenm kenm 296202234 Oct 22 19:16 3drSolo.zip
which would not unzip.
The .img file itself seems to be downloading now and looks to be 7.6G in size. So that's probably the problem, Most of the space on the SD card is unused, so a .zip archive should be smaller than 8G, which is what I was expecting.
We'll see when it finally gets down.

Seems like I tried to download the folder it was in on dropbox which resulted in:
ls -la 3drSolo.zip
which would not unzip.
The .img file itself seems to be downloading now and looks to be 7.6G in size. So that's probably the problem, Most of the space on the SD card is unused, so a .zip archive should be smaller than 8G, which is what I was expecting.
ls -la 3drSolo.zip
which would not unzip.
Good point, thanks. I changed it to a .zip.
257M. Way better. ;)

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
Being a long time Ardupilot I have a hard time changing old habits like landing and power off with the sticks down and "out".

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I do not use both sticks? That could cause the solo to roll right and possibly flip.

From Ardu-pilot-copter docs:

Arming the motors
Arming the motors
Arming the motors causes ArduPilot to apply power to your motors, which will cause them to start spinning. Before arming the motors, make sure all people, objects, and any body parts (e.g., hands) are clear of the propellers. Then do the following:

Note

You can only arm or disarm in Stabilize, ACRO, AltHold, Loiter, and PosHold modes. You cannot arm your copter in AUTO mode.

1. Turn on your transmitter
  2. Plug in your LiPo battery. The red and blue lights should flash for a few seconds as the gyros are calibrated (do not move the copter)
  3. The pre-arm checks will run automatically and if any problems are found an APM2.x will double blink the red arming light, on a Pixhawk the RGB led will blink yellow. Please refer to this page.
  4. Check that your flight mode switch is set to Stabilize, ACRO, AltHold Loiter, or PosHold.
  5. If using a PX4, press the safety button until the light goes solid.
  6. If you are planning on using the autopilot (i.e. Loiter, RTL, Drift, Auto or Guided modes) you should wait for 30 seconds after the GPS has gotten 3d lock. This will give the GPS position time to settle. On APM2 the GPS lock is indicated by the blue LED going solid. On an Pixhawk the RGB LED will blink green.
  7. Arm the motors by holding the throttle down, and rudder right for 5 seconds. It takes approximately 5 seconds the first time the copter is armed as it re-initialises the gyros and barometer. Do not hold the rudder right for too long (>15 seconds) or you will begin the AutoTrimfeature.
  8. Once armed, the red arming light should go solid and the propellers will begin to spin.
  9. Raise the throttle to take-off.
Note

If you leave the throttle at minimum for 15 seconds while in any of the above modes the motors will automatically disarm.

Disarming the motors
Disarming the motors will cause the motors to stop spinning. To disarm the motors do the following:

1. Check that your flight mode switch is set to Stabilize, ACRO, AltHold Loiter, or PosHold.
  2. Hold throttle at minimum and rudder to the left for 2 seconds
  3. The red arming light should start flashing on the APM2. On the Pixhawk the RGB LED will start flashing green.
  4. If using a PX4, press the safety button until the led begins flashing
  5. Disconnect the Lipo battery
  6. Turn off your transmitter

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc