No video feed. Have checked EVERYTHING. Stumped.

Reaction score
This problem started intermittently where one out of every 10 flights (open solo ) is have no video feed and a restart / sequence would usually solve it.

There was no solo crash, no hard landing, and no updates done to the GoPro hero 3+camera.

I plugge the camera in to two different other devices - a tv - and an fpv headset - using the solos HDMI CABLE and camera and cable are Working fine! No problems.

Connecting same camera and cable directly to the SoloLink (bypassing the gimbal) No live feed. I tried two different SoloLinks -(Replaced it on the mainboard) And of course made.sure the ports are secure on each and no bad solder joints. Still no feed.

When gimbal is attached I can control the camera from the controller and it records video to.the SD in camera but no live feed.

I tried another good working hdmi cable in a second Solo running arducopter which makes it the THIRD Solo Link Hdmi port tried. Still nothing.

I've tried every possible startup sequence including the same one I've used for.years and still no video feed. I'm stumped. Why to.do next?

Just a question, are you using the same device (smart phone/tablet) to test these various connection... What device?

I assume you had different controllers when testing between different Solos...same?

Same device. IPhone 7+ IOS 12.2.2 (no recent iOS update.) tried using Side Pilot and the 3dr solo app. also attempted using an Android tablet running Solex. Both devices previously worked.

The controller - I used the same one and re-paired when switching between solos. I do have another one here that I can try and will.

Well Rich I paired it with a different controller still same problem persists.

Interesting note: also with 2nd controller I tried Solex on Android device and see something unfamiliar- a warning across the entire screen that reads VIDEO NOT SUPPORTED.

Last edited:
Hmmm...that's jacked up. You've gone through pretty much everything that is suspect path wise.

Check your video output in the camera, make sure it isn't set to PAL... As well you may want to consider re-flashing the camera FW if not the case, just for shits and giggles.

Not se
Hmmm...that's jacked up. You've gone through pretty much everything that is suspect path wise.

Check your video output in the camera, make sure it isn't set to PAL... As well you may want to consider re-flashing the camera FW if not the case, just for shits and giggles.

Not set to Pal. Wireless off. I also put the camera in the gimbal but took the hdmi feed from the camera to another monitor ; no picture still BLACK as the plague. And normally in the fpv headset if there's no signal it will say NO SIGNAL. SO it's getting signal just BLACK NOTHING. I Still can control the camera. Just no live feed. The only thing left (I think)and that is the gimbals hdmi path. Upon inspection I did find a bit of Kauai’s ubiquitous red dirt in up around the gimbal shaft, meaning close to those ribbon cables. I got the compressed air in there, wipe all the surfaces clean with qtips (not in the connectors) and sprayed some deoxit in there. And still;
BLACK BLACK BLACK.

I feel utterly defeated

I will try refreshing the camera I guess but I fear bricking it with a GoPro update that won't work. Then again its not working anyway so....hmm.
The thing is though ; THE CAMERA IS WORKING.
JUST NOT ON THE SOLO

You say the camera outputs black to a monitor? That sounds like a flaky HDMI output port on the GoPRO -OR- a flaky MicroSD. Have you changed out the MicroSD? A bad one can cause *all kinds* of weirdness.

I agree with Bruce, something in the camera is messed up...you tried everything else in duplicates.

If the ribbon is still factory set, then dirt won't be an issue, imo. But dirt will mess with the gimbal's bearings...

You say the camera outputs black to a monitor? That sounds like a flaky HDMI output port on the GoPRO -OR- a flaky MicroSD. Have you changed out the MicroSD? A bad one can cause *all kinds* of weirdness.
I swapped out with a brand new SD CARD. Note the black screen out is only when it's coming from solo. The camera direct to a tv is working fine and that's using the same hdmi cable from inside solo

I agree with Bruce, something in the camera is messed up...you tried everything else in duplicates.

If the ribbon is still factory set, then dirt won't be an issue, imo. But dirt will mess with the gimbal's bearings...
Why would the camera work fine when connected to tv or fpv headset but not when installed on solo?

I wish I had a different camera to try. that's the only thing I don't have duplicates of. Nor a working gimbal. Lots of disassembled gimbals but no dupes. Hel now I don't even.have ONE that works. Bummed

Why would the camera work fine when connected to tv or fpv headset but not when installed on solo?
Process of elimination... Because you connected to several copters and you had no video to multiple devices. But still one camera.

I can't speak on why your tv or headset worked through the camera. Maybe better connection some how or better ability to downgrade the video if a connection was poor. Solo seems sensitive to a poor hardwire connection, it either works or it doesn't. Then toss in two wireless feeds, it gets real complicated quickly.

Your guess is as good as mine as to why that is...

You seemed to have followed my motto for repairs...keep fix'in it til it's really broken.

Did you check to see if you have video on the HDMI port on the controller?

I did. I connected the HDMI from the controller to a tv and to an FPV headset. Each showed only a black screen. (As opposed to a blank screen with a NO SIGNAL message ) Which Bruce pointed out that its a good indication the problem is with the camera. Only one way to find out. Time for a new camera. Not a bad idea considering i have no extra for backup.

Can you please update your situation? Im have the exact same issue, my GoPro Silver 3+ will send live video feed when i use the hdmi from the solo, but when i connect the gopro trough the Gimble there is no live feed and i get the same message as you described. Did you find a fix for this issue?

Can you please update your situation? Im have the exact same issue, my GoPro Silver 3+ will send live video feed when i use the hdmi from the solo, but when i connect the gopro trough the Gimble there is no live feed and i get the same message as you described. Did you find a fix for this issue?
Never fixed. Sorry so long to reply.

Ever checked the ribbon inside the gimbal? From the microhdmi to inside the gopro housing, if you didnt. Open up carefully and check if its whole or or got a rift in it. Mine had a rift in it and Ive been reading om the forums its a semi-common issue.
Read this post from @RichWest, we have posted alot of helpful advanced information on the gimbal, you should be able to find your issue. Keep us posted!
Good luck!
Never fixed. Sorry so long to reply.

Drove me nuts with my Hero 3+ until I changed the resolution on the camera. Was set at 1080 Super and changed to 1080 - solved the problem for me

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc