No Live feed in solo app on my Iphone 6 - Tried almost everything. Help!

Reaction score
So I bought a 3DR solo since I had a GP3+Black edition. Couldn't pass up the BB deal at $299 for such a great drone. Either I am really unlucky or I am missing something. So I installed the gimbal, updated all the firmware on the solo, running V3.03 on GP, set video to 1080/30 medium view, turned on drone, then radio then connected my solo app on my iphone to the wifi, made sure it was on Hero3+Black. All good but my live feed is black. Checked all connections, powered the GP on an off, switched from 1080 to 720 to 1080 again. Powered everything off and on, restarted app, uninstalled and reinstalled app, disconnected gimbal and plugged solo hdmi directly into GP still black screen in solo app. Checked hdmi out on GP with cable to TV and didn't work. Aha! Got it!...So I go buy a Hero4 Black edition put V3.0 on it, install with just Solo hdmi cable directly into camera...Same shit! Try the gimbal for the hell of it...no luck. So now I am pissed and drive to BB and buy another 3DR solo and get an extra gimbal on top of the one that comes with the second drone. So now I have 2 drones, 3 gimbals, 2 GoPros, and have been mixing amd matching and taking things apart and making sure all connections are tight and still have a black screen. The best I get is full control of my GPH4B in the gimbal, start stop record, powers on and off but the live feed in my solo app is black as are the recordings on my camera roll on my phone with no sound. The same videos on my SD card in the GP are fine. So could it be my iphone 6 running Ios 9.3? Let's try my girlfriend's iphone 6s running ios 10.2 and install the solo app....Nope! Not for this guy. So am I just really unlucky and just happen to buy to 2 f'ed up Solos, 3 f'ed up gimbals and own 2 f'ed up GoPros...or am I just stupid and missing something? I'll admit that this is my first drone but I am not new to building RC cars and planes not to mention computers and fixing my own iphones when shit breaks. I have read through a ton of these threads and looked online and tried all the various fixes. I have yet to find somebody with this problem. Help 3DR Experts!

I'm no expert by any means, but did you try rebooting your iphone? The one time I lost video feed nothing I tried restored it. When I rebooted the phone the video feed was back.

On most occasions after the normal start up, I too get a black screen - no video but I'm connected to the GP through the app verified with the little camera icon. I'm using a GPH3+B. After switching from video to photo, I get the live feed. Everything works as advertised.

I tried switching between photo and video as well as the different cameras and video qualities with the solo on but was not started, not sure it makes a difference but I'll give it a shot. I'll do a reboot on iphone as well, pretty sure I did that too...Maybe a combination of the two will work...lol This is driving me nuts. Thanks for the input, will let you know if it worked.

And you changed the app setting to GPH4B when you installed the new camera?

And you changed the app setting to GPH4B when you installed the new camera?
Yes I did that, first thing I did when I set it up as well as jumping between different cameras just to see if it would do anything.

So I tried the suggestions to no avail. Will try Android phone tomorrow. Oh yeah...I bought a 3rd Solo and 4th gimbal, the bundle is still on sale for $299 at BB...I'm starting to see why....arghh. Hoping third one's a charm. Keep you posted on new solo and will try android phone. Hoping to get one running solo so I can return the others, maybe keep one for spare parts. We'll see. Worst case I return everything and put my order in for a Teal and give one of the GoPro's to my son.

Yeah, I'm having to believe it is something simple. It just seem so very highly unlikely that so many machines and cameras would have the same issue all at the same time. Has to be a connection or setting issue somewhere.

GoPro wifi OFF?
Yes wifi off. Tried the 3rd Drone. Same thing. No way it's 3 bad drones or gimbals. So it's really a settings issue or I'm unlucky and both hdmi outs on my GoPros are bad. Will check the android phone suggestion later tonight before looking to borrow another GoPro.

I forgot to post last message this morning so I just did if you are looking at the times of these last posts. I tried an Android phone Galaxy S4, same thing. So I got pissed and being the guy that I am, I found an REI store that actually still had a hero4 black new in the box. So I drove down after dinner and bought it. So after all this hair pulling it really did turn out to be bad luck, both my gopros had bad hdmi outs. I plugged the new hero4 into gimbal and started everything up (didn't even check firmware version on GoPro, turned out to be V3.0 out of the box) had live feed right away and it wasn't even set to the correct camera, I switched to the Hero4black setting. All is good, now I can do some of the basic fixes, shield, route cable properly on gimbal, foam block fix on main board for hdmi cable and put it all back together and get one of these birds in the air. Eventually will do some upgrades, now I just want to get some flight time. Thanks for the help everyone. Hopefully you won't be hearing from me anytime soon...lol.

Reactions: Tommie Thomas
Be very delicate when inserting the GoPro into the gimbal. I have read that you can easily damage the serial port on the back as well as the HDMI port on the side if you are not careful..........very careful :)

Cheers

Aussie

I forgot to post last message this morning so I just did if you are looking at the times of these last posts. I tried an Android phone Galaxy S4, same thing. So I got pissed and being the guy that I am, I found an REI store that actually still had a hero4 black new in the box. So I drove down after dinner and bought it. So after all this hair pulling it really did turn out to be bad luck, both my gopros had bad hdmi outs. I plugged the new hero4 into gimbal and started everything up (didn't even check firmware version on GoPro, turned out to be V3.0 out of the box) had live feed right away and it wasn't even set to the correct camera, I switched to the Hero4black setting. All is good, now I can do some of the basic fixes, shield, route cable properly on gimbal, foam block fix on main board for hdmi cable and put it all back together and get one of these birds in the air. Eventually will do some upgrades, now I just want to get some flight time. Thanks for the help everyone. Hopefully you won't be hearing from me anytime soon...lol.
I had a similar issue with my GP 3+ silver not showing video feed. Turns out the camera firmware was the issue. Maybe dry downgrading to 2.0 on your GP3+BLACK.

Reactions: froylgvb
Awesome! Good job and happy flying.

I had a similar issue with my GP 3+ silver not showing video feed. Turns out the camera firmware was the issue. Maybe dry downgrading to 2.0 on your GP3+BLACK.

GPH3+B needs the most current FW

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986