Nikon J5 mirrorless camera on 3Dr Solo - ch7 shutter

Nice work. Have you all experimented with different propeller types given all the extra weight we are carrying with these cameras and gimbals?
nop, after standart suggestion - using Master Airscrew orange ones

i thought today - sorry @Robpower for spaming on your thread, but from other side I`m keaping it active and helpning communitie :cool:
I think, realy, realy soon I`ll make my own introduction (how started, how it went, whats the progress, whats the plans etc)
went on test flight today with 1/2 battery - need some adjustments, but everything is working and yes need to think already for battery upgrade

Weighted the "bird" & it's 6 grams heavier than with prevoius mount :D - grand total 1877grams
So, if Standart (Solo + GoPro gimbal) + Battery + GoPro is = 1200gr + 495gr + 84gr = 1779gr = ~ 1780 grams
Then mine 3Dr build is = 1877gr = ~1880 grams
Delta = 1880-1780 = 100 grams heavier than stock - I think not bad at all

P90802-201645_1200px.jpg

I don`t know if addin Roll has helped me somehow with stedier shoot, but will find it out in further testing
P90802-201734_1200.jpg

p.s. and yes mRo power module has arrived some time ago + soldering parts ordered from Aliexpress. So soon will be ordering 18650 elements ( if will have free funds) and build 2 batteries ?
P90724-172105_1000.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Robpower
i thought today - sorry @Robpower for spaming on your thread, but from other side I`m keaping it active and helpning communitie :cool:
I think, realy, realy soon I`ll make my own introduction (how started, how it went, whats the progress, whats the plans etc)
went on test flight today with 1/2 battery - need some adjustments, but everything is working and yes need to think already for battery upgrade

Weighted the "bird" & it's 6 grams heavier than with prevoius mount :D - grand total 1877grams
So, if Standart (Solo + GoPro gimbal) + Battery + GoPro is = 1200gr + 495gr + 84gr = 1779gr = ~ 1800grams
Then mine 3Dr build is = 1877gr = ~1880 grams
Delta = 1880-1800 = 80 grams heavier than stock - I think not bad at all

View attachment 10340

I don`t know if addin Roll has helped me somehow with stedier shoot, but will find it out in further testing
View attachment 10341

p.s. and yes mRo power module has arrived some time ago + soldering parts ordered from Aliexpress. So soon will be ordering 18650 elements ( if will have free funds) and build 2 batteries ?
View attachment 10342

@makatanav its all good, no need to apologise, it is all very interesting and for someone looking at putting a different camera on their solo this thread has a lot of information.

Its winter here, lots of foggy days and not a lot of flying, I like early morning light and conditions, spring will be here soon ?

Let me know if i should start a new thread but this seems to be the place for non-Go Pro camera install comments...

While experimenting with different fixed mounts for a Sony mirrorless, I recently experienced significant drone “wobbling” and shake for the first time after dozens of flights with the Sony. At first I thought I may not have installed the props properly. Reinstalled and then swapped props with the same shaking result.

I was using a small ball head mounted to the nose plate used for the gimbal. I had used this setup before without the drone shaking. the only difference was that I clamped down the dampening balls to observe the impact on micro vibrations. Appears I swapped micro for very macro vibrations.

Is it possible when the dampening effect is reduced, the weight of the camera is throwing off the stability of the drone? Perhaps less so when the rubber balls are modulating the weight swing affect on the drone?

When I used a 3d printed mount on the center of the bottom of the drone, no such problem, perhaps because the weight is more centered.

Any of you seeing this drone shake when the camera is mounted in certain ways?

I failed to mention that I replaced the mRo GPS module with a mast mounted HERE. With the camera mounted on the center mount, i was getting regular mag interference errors b/c of the camera proximity to the leg compass. I disconnected the leg compass and use the integrated compass in the HERE. Worked, no more MI errors.

But....is it possible that the mast (due to its length) is causing the GPS unit to move more from any weight imbalance causing a negative feedback loop and the GPS unit is thus causing the shake and wobble?

While the mast may succeed in moving the GPS device from the drone electronics, it may be causing flight instability.

I failed to mention that I replaced the mRo GPS module with a mast mounted HERE. With the camera mounted on the center mount, i was getting regular mag interference errors b/c of the camera proximity to the leg compass. I disconnected the leg compass and use the integrated compass in the HERE. Worked, no more MI errors.

But....is it possible that the mast (due to its length) is causing the GPS unit to move more from any weight imbalance causing a negative feedback loop and the GPS unit is thus causing the shake and wobble?

While the mast may succeed in moving the GPS device from the drone electronics, it may be causing flight instability.
Again, it is polite to put a problem in ONE thread rather than cluttering multiple forum threads. Forum members are very gracious with their time when attempting to help solve a problem, as not a one of them is paid.

Please don't disrespect that time investment by making members read the same problem multiple times. Your consideration is much appreciated

I posted the query elsewhere. understood, thanks.

Non-Go Pro'ers: I will continue this inquiry in another thread but am curious whether any of you have upgraded your firmware to Open Solo.

I am running the latest software open solo dev 3.7 with no problems on my birds

Thanks Rob. I am showing Open Solo v.3.0.0 on my controllers. See: Is it Possible to Revert to Stock Firmware from Open Solo 3.0? Parameter changes mostly fixed my 3 Solos' recent shaking problems with a Sony mirrorless camera that I did not have over the last 18 months. Suggests that default settings may not be ideal for the extra payloads we are slapping on.

Reactions: makatanav
I kinda skimmed through this thread but didn't see a clear answer...

Are you guys getting the HDMI video broadcast back through the radio connection? It's just like flying a GoPro save for no configurability of the camera's exposure settings or shutter control?

What's the landscape for camera SDKs for control and config over the air? Though I am running Open Solo, I admit to not following the dev updates. Is incorporating support for various manufacturers' cameras for which SDKs exist something that is possible? This use of a little servo to push the shutter button seems...forgive me...hokey. Is your guys' use of the Ricoh because they have an SDK?

I've dreamed of being able to control my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema (original) remotely for this. It has such an amazing look to it.

Are you guys getting the HDMI video broadcast back through the radio connection? It's just like flying a GoPro save for no configurability of the camera's exposure settings or shutter control?

What's the landscape for camera SDKs for control and config over the air? Though I am running Open Solo, I admit to not following the dev updates. Is incorporating support for various manufacturers' cameras for which SDKs exist something that is possible? This use of a little servo to push the shutter button seems...forgive me...hokey. Is your guys' use of the Ricoh because they have an SDK?

I've dreamed of being able to control my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema (original) remotely for this. It has such an amazing look to it.
In theory because we are carrying a companion computer aboard Solo it should be possible.

In practice I don't think anyone has taken the time to set up the build environment that would be needed to compile and test the SDKs and APIs. I have been intending to dedicate an old Mini-ITX machine to this for months, but there is only so much time in a day.

And then it would have to be loaded and tested, then we'd have to find @Kelly Schrock to ask him to implement custom menus, then those have too be extensively tested....

Are you guys getting the HDMI video broadcast back through the radio connection?
It's just like flying a GoPro save for no configurability of the camera's exposure settings or shutter control?
What's the landscape for camera SDKs for control and config over the air? Though I am running Open Solo, I admit to not following the dev updates. Is incorporating support for various manufacturers' cameras for which SDKs exist something that is possible?
Is your guys' use of the Ricoh because they have an SDK?

1. Yes.
2. Yes
3. I have seen some video (don't know where), where guy was showing configuration possibilities from Solex to Sony SDK. But those were some tests only.
4. I personally use Ricoh, because it's the lightest APS-C camera (245 grams) + have HDMI video out, that’s it . It's all about the weight.

Weight kills. It took a few weeks to begin to cure my Solos from all of a sudden being allergic to the extra payload from a Sony a5100. It may have been a series of parameter changes made by an Open Solo install. Still trying to figure it out. Am very curious whether you other non-GoPro'ers have had a similar weight stability issues with your Solos. See the related topic in the Solo Help forum.

See: Overview - Camera Remote API beta SDK - Sony Developer World

I was too lazy to pursue the Sony Camera Remote API beta SDK. Instead, I just received yesterday new Camera Remote equipment from VP Systems that I am installing now. Full exposure, zoom, focus, and shutter controls from a small separate radio. Will report back on how well it works. Very light, range beyond the range of the Solo and I should be able to power it off the unused gimbal cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: makatanav
Weight kills. It took a few weeks to begin to cure my Solos from all of a sudden being allergic to the extra payload from a Sony a5100. It may have been a series of parameter changes made by an Open Solo install. Still trying to figure it out. Am very curious whether you other non-GoPro'ers have had a similar weight stability issues with your Solos. See the related topic in the Solo Help forum.

See: Overview - Camera Remote API beta SDK - Sony Developer World

I was too lazy to pursue the Sony Camera Remote API beta SDK. Instead, I just received yesterday new Camera Remote equipment from VP Systems that I am installing now. Full exposure, zoom, focus, and shutter controls from a small separate radio. Will report back on how well it works. Very light, range beyond the range of the Solo and I should be able to power it off the unused gimbal cable.
I did "fight" the stability and twitching issues during the testing and design of my mount. It seamed that any flex in the mount or off-center weight caused issues. I don't experience anything major with my latest mount.

@jxo before OpenSolo everything was OK?
yes. I also swapped out an mRo GPS unit for a HERE mast mounted GPS at the same time. So I made 2 changes at once: Open Solo and the Here mast mount. The Solo shaked, wobbled and whined like it never had before. I had stable video feeds and now it was shaking like crazy on the screen and the done itself was shaking noticeably and making some odd noises. I also installed Open Solo on 2 other Solos but each of those continued to have the mRo GPS. Both of those, also, shaked, wobbled and whined the first time I put the Sony back on them after the Open Solo install.

I just unpacked and tested (on the ground) the VP Systems remote devices for the Sony. So far so good. Full control of the zoom, manual focus, AutoFocus, ISO, Av and shutter speed. Pretty cool. Being able to change Aperture size in the air is a game changer for me. I believe profiles can also be added to access other Sony menu items-- like shooting and focus modes. This may be preferable than trying to integrate with the Solo controller and App. I will post separately once I get in a few flights. Hopefully now it all won't shake off from the drone seizures I was recently experiencing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo