Nikon J5 mirrorless camera on 3Dr Solo - ch7 shutter

Reaction score
Website
www.robertpower.com.au
the servo arrived, but it didn't work with Solo, so I rebuilded the frame with that I liked the best and also the frame type I liked the best from previous builds
carbon fiber, alloy corners, glued with 2 component epoxy
this one is solid like a tank, and attached "perfectly" - no moves and vobles
View attachment 10564View attachment 10565
View attachment 10566View attachment 10567
View attachment 10568
Very nice mate, similar to mine, very stiff and stable.

I am still waiting for the boardto arrive so I can set up and test my modified J5 and hopefully if successful, no more shutter servo 😉

Reactions: makatanav
Reaction score
Website
www.robertpower.com.au
For those following this post, I was using a servo to activate the shutter on my Nikon J5 as the Nikon does not have a socket for a shutter release or an IR port for remote shutter. Nikon Aust have modified one of my J5's bringing cables out of the camera to I can hook up a PWM style switch. I got a switch of Aliexpress and have successfully tested and flown this set up this morning. Much nicer than the servo. Not sure if this switch set up will work on all camera's but wanted to share the information.

Here is where I got the switch PWM switch

The switch and a little 3D box I printed to protect it

A lot less moving parts now, I put a piece of heatshrink over the box and double side taped it to the camera.

Need to get some better double sided tape, this was after this mornings test flights.

A few pics here from this mornings test flight - 3DR + NO-GoPro image thread

jxo

Reaction score
the servo arrived, but it didn't work with Solo, so I rebuilded the frame...
Gents: what are your sources for the parts to build the gimbal frame? I may experiment with a simple manual carbon fiber frame but need help on where to start.

thanks.

Reaction score
Website
www.robertpower.com.au
the top of mine is carbon fibre 3mm from hobby king, the bottom where the camera mounts is 3d printed ( i have a small printer) the servo is from work, brand is Hitec,

Hope this helps, very happy with my set up

jxo

Reaction score
thanks Rob. Just toying with different frame designs. Not a fan of the gopro mount. I have quick release brackets that I would like to integrate into the frame so it can be removed quickly for adjustment or replacement to facilitate vertical orientations.

Do you buy and cut the carbon fiber as you would other materials-- like balsa or plywoods?

Reactions: Robpower
Reaction score
Website
www.robertpower.com.au
thanks Rob. Just toying with different frame designs. Not a fan of the gopro mount. I have quick release brackets that I would like to integrate into the frame so it can be removed quickly for adjustment or replacement to facilitate vertical orientations.

Do you buy and cut the carbon fiber as you would other materials-- like balsa or plywoods?
The GoPro mount was the first way I mounted a compact camera, it just evolved from there into what I have now.

My mount now is very stiff, I only use this set up for stills, I still have a gimbal and hero 4 black for video but don't use it much.

I bought the carbon fibre in a small 300x200mm sheet and cut it with a dremel tool, there are probably other ways to cut it, but you need a sharp cutter as its tough.

jxo

Reaction score
Thanks Rob. The order is in. How do you all recommend making the 90 degree attachment of the carbon fiber pieces? From the photo below, looks like a joint and glue. Glue lighter than screws? What type of glue? Where to source these connector joints? Thanks!

P91102-16001.jpg

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
superjon