New WI-Fi cards and GPS

Reaction score
Finally got out and tested the WI-Fi cards I recently installed (MicroTik) Ran out over the tree line and up the river 1285 meters (4215 feet) and still had signal and that was with the stock antennas. As for the GPS (Mro) it picks up satellites before the hand controller and Samsung have booted up around 24 satelittes compared to 9-10 on a good day...I guess you could say I'm happy so far....

Finally got out and tested the WI-Fi cards I recently installed (MicroTik) Ran out over the tree line and up the river 1285 meters (4215 feet) and still had signal and that was with the stock antennas. As for the GPS (Mro) it picks up satellites before the hand controller and Samsung have booted up around 24 satelittes compared to 9-10 on a good day...I guess you could say I'm happy so far....

Thanks for report. I have been asleep. Can you tell us about the new WI FI cards adding any useful info for sleepy quadcopter Pilots?

Thanks for report. I have been asleep. Can you tell us about the new WI FI cards adding any useful info for sleepy quadcopter Pilots?
Not sure how much useful information I could add, I watched the videos that others had posted. The controller took about 15 minutes to finish while the drone was about an hour.Install went smooth with no issues but I did find one of my antenae connectors in the drone was not clipped in place but was held on by the glue, this did not seem to affect the drone in any way that I could tell. As I said the difference in distance even with stock antenna is considerable (not sure if the connector played a part in this) max distance I could get previously was Approx 750 meters, I will have to try again another day to see how far before I lose signal and initiate RTH. Also added the Mro GPS big difference in sats and time to launch, I set it outside the truck press the button and in under a minute it is ready to go....

Reactions: Coastwise
Not sure how much useful information I could add, I watched the videos that others had posted. The controller took about 15 minutes to finish while the drone was about an hour.Install went smooth with no issues but I did find one of my antenae connectors in the drone was not clipped in place but was held on by the glue, this did not seem to affect the drone in any way that I could tell. As I said the difference in distance even with stock antenna is considerable (not sure if the connector played a part in this) max distance I could get previously was Approx 750 meters, I will have to try again another day to see how far before I lose signal and initiate RTH. Also added the Mro GPS big difference in sats and time to launch, I set it outside the truck press the button and in under a minute it is ready to go....

Cal,

Thanks for your update. I have the Mro GPS already and am delighted. Now I guess it’s time to upgrade my antennas

Joe Homer

Cal,

Thanks for your update. I have the Mro GPS already and am delighted. Now I guess it’s time to upgrade my antennas

Joe Homer
It's not that difficult, I've heard some people only upgrade the controller but I failed to see the point of that. I think this may cover my needs for the next while if not then an antenna may be next...

I get out with the stock WiFi and just the FPVLR antenna to 9685 ft.
I looked at the FPVLR a while back and wonder iff it might be a bit narrow beam pattern, How do you find it? Are you constantly adjusting to keep strength of signal or just a general point in that direction?

Fpvlr has a 60 degree beam pattern. The FAA rules state we need to keep our aircraft in our line of site so I have not thought it was a problem

Fpvlr has a 60 degree beam pattern. The FAA rules state we need to keep our aircraft in our line of site so I have not thought it was a problem
Thanks, I wondered how the beam pattern was as if I tip the handset down to get a better view of the screen would I lose signal and set the RTH off.

I never had that problem. My videos are on YouTube under Normandin hobby.
I am in the process of modifying my skycontroller with a similar antenna. I have a parrot Disco that has a 1hr flight time.
My goal is to fly the Disco out from my club's field to Cuttyhunk Island and back. My Solo or from my club's field to loyds beach.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo