Solo GPS mRo m8n Reception Poor

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a mRo m8n GPS that I bought a couple of years ago installed into my Solo. I used to get lock on to several satellites within a minute (10 to 15), but recently it has been struggling to get 7 (several minutes before it gets here), and the most I have seen is 9. I have been plugging and unplugging the GPS a few times recently ans I am trying a new mod out (moving the GPS up out of the battery tray to a mast), so I am wondering if I have done something to it. It almost seems like it has lost GLONASS connection. I have checked the cable connections and they are good, and also I have the V2 GPS shield (everything placed the way it was when I was getting good reception). I tried a different set of GPS cables, too, to make sure I had not done something to that and getting the same results. I noticed there is a small battery on the GPS card. Could a weak battery be a cause?? This one has me scratching my head because I was getting good reception, and now I am not.

I am running OpenSolo 3.0 with a Green Cube, if that helps, but I was getting good reception with these installed.

I hope there are some ideas from everyone for things I can check, otherwise, I may have to get another GPS

Could a weak battery be a cause??
The battery is to maintain the internal clock when the system is powered down, it only affects start up times... Cold versus Warm boots. This was one of the issues with the stock Solo "Rev-A" version gps module, bad charging circuit.

You can check the voltage of the battery with a V-meter. Replacement batteries can be found, if this is an issue. The battery is rechargeable, so you may have a bad battery or foobar'd the charging system during your mod'ing.

@cynfab and others have a better understanding for these things, hopefully someone will offer additional help to your questions as to fix count.

Reactions: glenn martin
Thanks.

I took out the m8n and put my old Rev-B back in to see if that made a difference. I am seeing the same behavior. I also see my controller occasionally display "Calibrating Sensors." I was seeing this with the m8n, too.

I am wondering now if it is not the GPS, but something else going weird.

No telling what is mucked up. If not the gps and wiring to it, the only other components are the PH and compass...regarding calibrating sensors.

Like I said, beyond my knowledge for additional trouble shooting help. My Solo has been relatively trouble free these last three plus years. Hopefully others will chime in, but in the mean time search the forum as there are many similar topics discussed.

The whole Us GPS system had a clock change that will affect "older" GPS. The fix is to do at least 8 cold starts, it will then learn the new time.

Thanks.
I have at least done 8 starts - actually more. The best I could get was while hovering about 200 feet above ground, and all I could get was 10-13 sats with a HDOP of 0.9 to 1.2

Thanks.
I have at least done 8 starts - actually more. The best I could get was while hovering about 200 feet above ground, and all I could get was 10-13 sats with a HDOP of 0.9 to 1.2
Same shit is happening with mine. It started after installing the Dev something version. It's probably coincidental but nevertheless, irritating. Here's the fun part of MY story though... I'm one of those that seek the facts at a later date if there is someone I trust who is excited about a product that would benefit me (if that makes sense). Anyway, the "Dev blah blah blah.." came out and knowing Matt, I figured, "Cool beans...let's do it". So I installed the thing. That same day I received in the mail yet another gimbal that I desperately needed. Wanting to try once again to make this delicate piece of shit gimbal last for a decent period of time for once, I thought I'd read up on the 'Dev Blah blah.." update. Turns out that I'm flying around thinking everything is Disney, and yet in the update instructions it clearly says, "This is for testing. Let us know if your bird falls out of the sky or whatever so that we may address that issue." Or something like that. LOL So perfect. It would totally be my misfortune to have the only solo that drops out of the sky for some fk'd up reason like the new gimbal decided to short out and cause a total meltdown or some shit. I'll keep you posted.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986