New from CT

Reaction score
I'm a bit late on my intro. Noticed this forum a while back and now I'm hooked on the Solo. I immediately(as I most often do. :) ) started researching it not realizing the fire-sale prices on the quad. I ended up getting one from B&H, along with an extra battery, and some extra props. I also bought the mRo GPS upgrade and installed it - even before my first flight! I found a new Gimbal on eBay and purchased that too. And of course it needed a nice Hero4 Black to go along with it!

I took it out yesterday at a local ball field for its maiden flight, and to say the least I was very impressed. I calibrated it and it took off. Within about 15secs it had locks on no fewer than 23 sats! It was fairly calm day with just a slight breeze, and the Solo took off and hovered beautifully in place. Very little drift. Simply rock solid in the air. It was hovering great. I took it around the field several time and it was very responsive.

I was using Solex and the only thing I found - it was probably pilot error - it could not get the camera to turn or record, while in the air during the first flight. The big record button was greyed out and unresponsive. I fiddle with the app a little while it on the ground and was able to get it to record. However, whenever I took it back up - no record button. :( But I did have live view.

I had configured Solex for the Hero4 in setup, but since I'm new to Solex I was having a bit of trouble finding my way around the GUI. Now I understand that the H4 can be totally controlled from the radio/app - even turning on the camera. I was getting live view, so the camera was on, but no enabled record button.

So for $229 this quad is an impressive bit of kit and worth every dollar at that price. Just knowing that there's probably little chance of support from 3DR, I purchased another one at $199 from B&H just to have for parts or backup. I've since picked up the 3DR backpack, and couple more batteries on eBay. I've also bought some Master Airscrew props to try.

In all, I'm very happy with the Solo and hope for many more great flights once I figure how to control everything! :)

redjr

Reactions: Mala Suerte
Lol welcome red you sound a little like me, i did the research for a while,i liked the DJI Mavic at 1st then bought the solo about 2 weeks ago 2on Amazon. Bought the gimbal on ebay along with a couple batterys and a gopro4 silver . Bought the masterscrew props and a itelite antena. Did the cardboard gps mod all before my 1st flight. Flew it yesterday at a small park at the end of my street. Have it running on the solo app had a blast ran 2 batterys threw it . Tweaked with the settings and flew it again on sport today, Wow i fell in love with it just bought solo#2 about 30mins ago on ebay. Bought the gps upgrade and will switch to solex when i get the upgrade.

At $199 the Solo is an awesome piece of kit. I'm glad I bought a backup. Sadly, I still have to work for a living so the weekends are the only time I can fly. And it's been real wet lately here in western CT. Too many things to enjoy and not enough time! :)

I also have a Mavic and Yuneec Q500. The Mavic is fun to fly and highly portable. I wanted something I could tinker with, mod, and make it better. The Solo seemed liked the perfect ticket My son has a Phantom 3 Pro, so when he's home from college we like to go flying together. I used to live out west and now that I've taken up droning, I'm envious of all the guys out there with wide open spaces for miles in all directions. I live 2 miles from a muni airport, on a heavily wooded lot so I can't even legally fly in my driveway!

Enjoy your new toys and keep sharing your experiences.

Im on the coast of S. Tx so theres some open space. Lmao yes thats why i bought the solo coz you can tinker with it and that its a pilots drone. No sensors to stop you from hitting things lmao. only thung ive seen that looks like it needs some attention is that motor pod 4 connection coming loose and drone crashing down. I think its a bad idea but i bought solo#3 well for my sons. We are into hunting and fishing and they are trying start a youtube channel so i figure the solo would come in handy but dnt know how long it will last with those termites they hace a habbit of wrecking things thats why i got them their own and not let them use mine. Lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo