New Alphas- Range test 4K-- AMAZED!

Reaction score
Stoked on this flight range!! This was all filmed in one fell swoop. No cuts. With no Fly To Home's I was able to get more range then with stock antennas than I was comfortable with. Instead of pushing Solo to the point of FTH i just pushed gently on the turn (yaw) stick to bend the flight line back around.

Solo was always in line of site even though it was hard to see. There were dozen of very tall 100' trees but relatively no power lines to cause interferance. Color graded in FCPX and used a new technique to take the strobe jitters out of the footage. Croped the spots when leg extensions could be seen.

No lens barrel hood. My some miracle this entire flight had no parts where sun shined through blades creating that annoying flashing/flicker.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Was loaded into Youtube last night as 4K

Does anyone know how to view it in 4K? I can play others videos in 4K but no my own? :(

Great resolution, flying, editing and music.
Thx Dash! I gotten ripped for not using that hundred dollar lens for the GoPro by Peau Production that takes the curve out of the horizon. With the mountain scape-- its hard to see the curved horizon plus the default lens give you a wider view.

Have you or anyone used any ap that can take the curved horizon out in post? I wonder if there is a plug in for Final Cut Pro? I have heard that GoPro has an anti/horizon curve adj in their free ap? Anybody experience?

I didn't really notice, I did see a glimpse of the left leg but didn't distract me from the enjoyment of the video.
Loved the family shot at the end.
My lens is the 3.97mm Peau Production with pink corner removal software (costly )but it works for what I do.

Attachments

• lowres.northend.fp.jpg
    lowres.northend.fp.jpg
    734 KB · Views: 61
Maybe next Christmas i can get that Peau lens. I would like to keep the extra wide angle when flying and Scuba diving and the ability to adjust the curved horizon in clips that I dont want it. Anybody know any software for FCPX or GoPro that does a quick and easy job of taking out the curve?

Thx Sellin! Welcome to 3DR boards. Glad you joined.
Thanks! New to the drone world. Flew my Solo twice so far. Pretty amazing drone for my first. Need to grab a couple things, extra batteries, gimbal, etc. Looking forward to getting to know more about the drones and the members on this site!

Last edited:
Reactions: NumberThree
Thanks! New to the drone world. Flew my Solo twice so far. Pretty amazing drone for my first. Need to grab a couple things, extra batteries, gimbal, etc. Looking forward to getting to know more about the drones and the members on this site!
Gimbal will be worth every penny. So smooth i sometime use my 3DR as a hand held steady cam. You will find that 3DR is still one of the smartest birds out there and with open/software/firmware- we can continue to build and evolve as our smart phones and their OS continue to get smarter. I use “SidePilot” in iPhone. Android as an equally impressive ap that continually has updates.

If your Hero has the latest firmware update it has a new linear mode that does a pretty good job of removing the curvature effect. No need to fix in post....

If your Hero has the latest firmware update it has a new linear mode that does a pretty good job of removing the curvature effect. No need to fix in post....
What version of firmware are you talking about? I have updated mine but I'm not sure it has that feature. Is it automatic or is it something you have to turn on?

What version of firmware are you talking about? I have updated mine but I'm not sure it has that feature. Is it automatic or is it something you have to turn on?
Needs to be turned on. Can be done through the official GoPro app, or on the camera itself. Solex/Solo app aren't able to change those settings since they're made against an older API/firmware.

Thank you Nbreg and Saijn. That is exactly what I was looking for. I did not want to buy and install a 100 dollar Peau lens. There are times I want as wide an angle as possible and curves cant be noticed like when SCUBA diving. The Peau is permanently zoomed a little to rid the curve. I wanted to take curve out in post edit but even better if there can be a menu button to remove curve before even taking flight. Ive never done any firmware update on my GoPro. Im interested in checking this out! THX

Nice job on the video by the way. How did you get the childrens laughter at the end? Did you record it on a separate recorder & add it in while editing?

Thank you Nbreg and Saijn. That is exactly what I was looking for. I did not want to buy and install a 100 dollar Peau lens. There are times I want as wide an angle as possible and curves cant be noticed like when SCUBA diving. The Peau is permanently zoomed a little to rid the curve. I wanted to take curve out in post edit but even better if there can be a menu button to remove curve before even taking flight. Ive never done any firmware update on my GoPro. Im interested in checking this out! THX

The Peau is a rectilinear lens (which basically means straight lines in a scene remain straight, the opposite of a "fisheye" lens which is what GoPros come with from the factory)... That's why the horizon with the Peau is straight, not because the Peau is "zoomed in a little".

Nice job on the video by the way. How did you get the childrens laughter at the end? Did you record it on a separate recorder & add it in while editing?
Yes, I added a child laugh track that received for free in my old Final Cut 7 studio. I try to keep the sound FX very quiet and subtle.

I followed the steps and did the GoPro update so I can use the liner FOV (Filed of view) on rare occasions when I'm willing to sacrifice the wide angle i love.

Stoked on this flight range!! This was all filmed in one fell swoop. No cuts. With no Fly To Home's I was able to get more range then with stock antennas than I was comfortable with. Instead of pushing Solo to the point of FTH i just pushed gently on the turn (yaw) stick to bend the flight line back around.

Solo was always in line of site even though it was hard to see. There were dozen of very tall 100' trees but relatively no power lines to cause interferance. Color graded in FCPX and used a new technique to take the strobe jitters out of the footage. Croped the spots when leg extensions could be seen.

No lens barrel hood. My some miracle this entire flight had no parts where sun shined through blades creating that annoying flashing/flicker.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Was loaded into Youtube last night as 4K

Does anyone know how to view it in 4K? I can play others videos in 4K but no my own? :(

That was beautiful!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc