New 3DR video (6/22)

Reaction score
Pretty impressive cable cam, orbit and selfie shots.

Looking forward to a working gimbal.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Pretty impressive cable cam, orbit and selfie shots.

Looking forward to a working gimbal.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have to be honest but I will not post any video, the video isn't terrible when you're flying in very slow mode but all the gimbal videos are a tease.

Have to admit the Orbit is not as smooth as I would like but the rest is impressive. Great tones as well, what a great place to fly during the golden hour!

Regarding the stock Smart-Shots. I think as time goes on more "shots" will be introduced or the ones presently offered will have deeper features. The Orbit's resolution will also improve in time, but for now it's a pretty sharp feature.

Seeing the video has me excited for what can be done from this platform. I wish I'd been flying a PixHawk platform a lot sooner than I have....:cool:

Have to admit the Orbit is not as smooth as I would like but the rest is impressive. Great tones as well, what a great place to fly during the golden hour!

Nothing is smooth, there's no gimbal.

I didn't read anything before the comment (and assumed he was talking about his personal orbit footage) about not being smooth so I didn't reference the first post and it being the promo clips from 3DR and I agree, there was a gimbal. With that being said; I'm not sure what people REALLY expect. The most easy to execute of the 3 Smart Shots; without having the smart shot feature is the selfie. Cable Cam and Orbit take a ton of skill to execute (just the basic flying of the shots, not to mention any other camera movements you make while the bird is in motion); even to the level of the worst promo shot posted by 3DR of these two features.

Here's what my brain is telling me when I see some of these promo vids that are being released by 3DR, in reality I'm only referring to two; the one on the beach and the one posted here. My common sense (because I own a Solo), is telling me that once my gimbal arrives I'll be able to replicate, with exact precision, ANY of the shots that I've seen 3DR post - right out of the box! If I get better results it's because I have put in the work to practice, practice, practice.

With that being said; I have not seen ANY promo video of ANY of the smart shots posted by 3DR that I wouldn't be happy with. I'm not expecting to make feature films with Solo, nor are any of the viewers of my Solo footage examining it with the scrutiny of an Academy Award judging panel. The average person would look at the footage posted above and think; WOW! If that's not enough, you may be considering / or have purchased the wrong drone for your needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tesmithp
Understood.

If the gimbal works out of the box I will be fine with all the advanced smart shots. Because there is no way I could do any better manually. I just don't have enough hands and fingers !

For those that haven't noticed it yet, RTH can be used as a filming tool as well. Run the Solo out however far you want it and initiate RTH. While the Solo is returning to home you have full control to rotate the aircraft while its coming back.

Of course you can do the same thing with cable cam and have control of speed, etc. But if you need to do something quick the RTH does work.

I didn't read anything before the comment (and assumed he was talking about his personal orbit footage) about not being smooth so I didn't reference the first post and it being the promo clips from 3DR and I agree, there was a gimbal. With that being said; I'm not sure what people REALLY expect. The most easy to execute of the 3 Smart Shots; without having the smart shot feature is the selfie. Cable Cam and Orbit take a ton of skill to execute (just the basic flying of the shots, not to mention any other camera movements you make while the bird is in motion); even to the level of the worst promo shot posted by 3DR of these two features.

Here's what my brain is telling me when I see some of these promo vids that are being released by 3DR, in reality I'm only referring to two; the one on the beach and the one posted here. My common sense (because I own a Solo), is telling me that once my gimbal arrives I'll be able to replicate, with exact precision, ANY of the shots that I've seen 3DR post - right out of the box! If I get better results it's because I have put in the work to practice, practice, practice.

With that being said; I have not seen ANY promo video of ANY of the smart shots posted by 3DR that I wouldn't be happy with. I'm not expecting to make feature films with Solo, nor are any of the viewers of my Solo footage examining it with the scrutiny of an Academy Award judging panel. The average person would look at the footage posted above and think; WOW! If that's not enough, you may be considering / or have purchased the wrong drone for your needs.

Always best to read the original post first and understand what you are referring to. Also, you do know that the orbit, cam and selfie are executed by the controller not the person. So in the case of an orbit it's not you on the sticks so I am sure you'll master it.

Always best to read the original post first and understand what you are referring to. Also, you do know that the orbit, cam and selfie are executed by the controller not the person. So in the case of an orbit it's not you on the sticks so I am sure you'll master it.

What was your reason for quoting me and responding again? It's clear that you don't understand what I'm talking about so maybe you should take some of your own advice but; just so we're clear, or better yet, just so YOU'RE CLEAR, all of these pre-programmed shots can be achieved manually, right or wrong?? RIGHT! Of the 3 pre programmed shots, the selfie would be the easiest to replicated manually, right or wrong?? RIGHT! So in the case of the Orbit the pre-programmed movement would be smoother than anything a novice flyer could do right out the box with just using the sticks, right or wrong?? RIGHT!

Now you understand???? If not, I'm not sure what to you tell you.

Thanks for playing.

What was your reason for quoting me and responding again? It's clear that you don't understand what I'm talking about so maybe you should take some of your own advice but; just so we're clear, or better yet, just so YOU'RE CLEAR, all of these pre-programmed shots can be achieved manually, right or wrong?? RIGHT! Of the 3 pre programmed shots, the selfie would be the easiest to replicated manually, right or wrong?? RIGHT! So in the case of the Orbit the pre-programmed movement would be smoother than anything a novice flyer could do right out the box with just using the sticks, right or wrong?? RIGHT!

Now you understand???? If not, I'm not sure what to you tell you.

Thanks for playing.

1st, whats your problem? you need to calm down;
2nd, you're the first not to understand as you first posted that it wasn't smooth because it did not have a gimbal;
3rd, you need to calm down;
4th, the purpose of that video is to demonstrate the modes of the SOLO so the orbit is not manual controlled but using the SOLO orbit mode. So yes you could do it manually, and you could probably achieve better, but back to the context of my first post which you clearly did not understand the orbit is not as smooth as I would hope;
5th, now go away and calm down.

hold on a minute while i go get some pop corn.

That promo video is impressive, but I highly doubt they shot with a Hero4 without any modifications. I would expect them to use a filter, but it looks like they used a different lens. The lines in the architecture are way too straight, and I know the GoPro Stuido app is horrible at removing the fisheye. I've tested it myself with light poles. They bow out horribly if less than 10yds away, and with "remove fisheye" they bow in terribly.

I'd like to know which software they used, whether it be Final Cut, Adobe, or something else.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea