Need help triggering a standard servo.

Try to set the PWM values 1 increment at a time, I had a problem arming my Solo-Rover until I set the PWM values just right sometimes that's all it takes...
Could you clarify what you meant by "1 increment at a time"? Like: from 1100 to 1101, or 1100 to 1200, or some other increment? Is your Solo-Rover on v3.0.0?
(BTW, I am hoping to get a PM reply from Matt about the situation I am experiencing with the new Pause button functionality.)

Could you clarify what you meant by "1 increment at a time"? Like: from 1100 to 1101, or 1100 to 1200, or some other increment? Is your Solo-Rover on v3.0.0?
(BTW, I am hoping to get a PM reply from Matt about the situation I am experiencing with the new Pause button functionality.)
First off Did you set RC_Channel 7 to 1 in mission planner?
That's exactly what I meant like 1089~1100 for instance and on the other end of the scale the Rover is running AP Rover not AC 1.5.4 the issue I had was a forward reverse issue and arming.

First off Did you set RC_Channel 7 to 1 in mission planner?
That's exactly what I meant like 1089~1100 for instance and on the other end of the scale the Rover is running AP Rover not AC 1.5.4 the issue I had was a forward reverse issue and arming.
Yes, I changed the value to '1' in MP. OK, thanks for clarifying the increment! That will take some time to test. The problem I am seeing appears to be related to v3.0.0, so no need to dialogue about other software versions. I also sent a PM to Kelly, in case he had some info, given the coordination with Solex.

Last edited:
BTW I use channel 6 (paddle) on my solo-rover to switch between modes such as arm disarm steering mode, auto so on and so forth It runs OpenSolo 3.0 and AP Rover...
Well, you are well ahead of my abilities of the moment. However I will explore making another channel work for my purposes, and skip the Pause button for now. Have a great weekend. I'll post if I get more info.

Reactions: XevetS
BTW I use channel 6 (paddle) on my solo-rover to switch between modes such as arm disarm steering mode, auto so on and so forth It runs OpenSolo 3.0 and AP Rover...
@XevetS - I found a way to activate a servo using Mission Planner and a Solo on v3.0.0, using RC7. If you or anyone else wants to send a PM, I can reply with a copy of the procedure. (I have not tested the procedure on Solo RC6 or RC8.)

And thanks to tips from James at gentles LTD, I also now have a procedure for triggering a Sony a6000 shutter during mapping/survey missions, using a gentWIRE-FOCUS 21MS Shutter Controller and RC7 on a Solo on v3.0.0. (The 21MS can also be used in several ways to interact with a Sony NEX-5N.)

@XevetS - I found a way to activate a servo using Mission Planner and a Solo on v3.0.0, using RC7. If you or anyone else wants to send a PM, I can reply with a copy of the procedure. (I have not tested the procedure on Solo RC6 or RC8.)

And thanks to tips from James at gentles LTD, I also now have a procedure for triggering a Sony a6000 shutter during mapping/survey missions, using a gentWIRE-FOCUS 21MS Shutter Controller and RC7 on a Solo on v3.0.0. (The 21MS can also be used in several ways to interact with a Sony NEX-5N.)
Nice good that you got it sorted. Yes using the pause button is how its done...

Nice good that you got it sorted. Yes using the pause button is how its done...
Wish I could say that was so! However the Pause button continues to be flaky. I tried a variety of settings with no success. Perhaps I just don't have the patience to test several hundred settings. :) I'm happy with the procedure I worked out.

The procedure for activating the servo relies on MP's Servo commands.

(The other procedure, for camera trigger, works fine with Tower, MP, etc..)

Wish I could say that was so! However the Pause button continues to be flaky. I tried a variety of settings with no success. Perhaps I just don't have the patience to test several hundred settings. :) I'm happy with the procedure I worked out.

The procedure for activating the servo relies on MP's Servo commands.

(The other procedure, for camera trigger, works fine with Tower, MP, etc..)
I hear you, yes the Pause button does appear flakey I used it to control the retracts on my solo DIY and it used to scare the shit ouuta me
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I hear you, yes the Pause button does appear flakey I used it to control the retracts on my solo DIY and it used to scare the shit ouuta me
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Nice build and video. I have not tried leg retracts.

I can say that using the Servos tab in the lower left pane of Mission Planner helps to focus attention on what HIGH and LOW means when using a specific servo (after bench testing). Downside is having to haul my Windows laptop to the field. Maybe the Pause button issues will be resolved in a future release of Open Solo. Or I will get a tip about my unfortunate assumptions, or discover another way. For now, I have a procedure that works.

Reactions: XevetS
I have upgraded all of my Solo systems to 3.0.0 (but not yet to use the Green Cube).
I have connected a servo to pin 19, and a nearby pad with +5VDC, and a ground pad.
I also used Tower to change the RC7 parameter on a Solo from zero to 1.
Unfortunately I am seeing intermittent behavior, including both haptic bumps and Controller displays. Sometimes "On/High", sometimes "Off/Low" in the lower part of the display. Power is getting to the servo. The servo does change state, just not when expected. Most often, the output at pin 19 appears to get hung up in the "On/High" state. Occasionally but not predictably the state will shift to "Off/Low" after seemingly random taps or hold-downs of the Pause button.

I've tried swapping Controllers (no change, although I did discover a sticky Pause button, now fixed).
I've re-soldered all connections (no change).
I've rerouted cabling to the servo (no change).
I am beginning to think that upgrading to v3.0.0 has resulted in different-from-stock-Solo behavior with pin 19.
In searching for an answer, I discovered this comment: "my pwm range was too high, shortening the range fixed it."
If that "fix" works, does anyone have a suggestion for how to change the PWM range in OpenSolo v3.0.0, and how to set the parameter values that are likely to work?

Hi John, have you found a solution on your problem?
maybe I have similar problem - my 3DR is not stable on long pressing Pause button to trigger servo on RC7 - some times Solo syas still, but most often drops or raises altitude and behaves strange. Mostly of this high percent of images are smeared out

Hi John, have you found a solution on your problem?
maybe I have similar problem - my 3DR is not stable on long pressing Pause button to trigger servo on RC7 - some times Solo syas still, but most often drops or raises altitude and behaves strange. Mostly of this high percent of images are smeared out
Too much time has passed and I've moved on to other things. However, my recollection is that a software update to Open Solo would be required. You could send a PM to Peddles2Paddles and see if he has some comments.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo