ND Filters

If you're willing to fork out the extra dough I would go with the BlurFix. I've never had my hands on one of them but they appear to be of better quality. But I'm satisfied with the Polar Pro and I really dig the case that came with them.

Why counter balance? The Polar Pro site says you don't need to counter balance them and like I said I haven't had any issues. But the possibility exists that it works the motors more with the slightly heavier front-end so why not. Plus it's easy.

Edit: In hindsight, I would go with the BlurFix 3 pack for $120 vs. the Polar Pro 6 pack for $99.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not like 3DR didn't give you 2 of the 5 gram weights already. screw one on the bottom outer hole in the back of the gimbal... It actually does screw in there. tape one as well on the right most side of the gimbal to help hold the horizon balanced.

Yeah, do that... I forgot about those. They actually weigh 6 grams.

And I'm no movie producer but the ones I got for $5 seem to work. The only issue is that you hAve to use Medium field or you see the ring of the lens adapter.

If you're willing to fork out the extra dough I would go with the BlurFix. I've never had my hands on one of them but they appear to be of better quality. But I'm satisfied with the Polar Pro and I really dig the case that came with them.

Why counter balance? The Polar Pro site says you don't need to counter balance them and like I said I haven't had any issues. But the possibility exists that it works the motors more with the slightly heavier front-end so why not. Plus it's easy.

Edit: In hindsight, I would go with the BlurFix 3 pack for $120 vs. the Polar Pro 6 pack for $99.
I'd like someone to chime in that actually owns the BlurFix....

Ok, which would you prefer and why?
No real preference. Sometimes I think the BlurFix are better quality, but it's very hard to tell. It could all be in my imagination. The PolarPros are slightly lighter, so if your concerned about gimbal balance, then go with those.

Reactions: Stal
Someone will undoubtedly reply that by not counter balancing these filters, I am doing long term damage to the gimbal by putting extra stress on the motors. Consider this though... how much stress does a steady wind put on the gimbal? How about sudden gusts of wind? The answer is that even a light wind puts more stress on the gimbal motors than these incredibly light weight filters.
My understanding was that balancing makes the gimbal work more smoothly, hence smoother video - which is the reason for the filter in the first place.
However I haven't actually tested that, so I can't say conclusively.

My understanding was that balancing makes the gimbal work more smoothly, hence smoother video - which is the reason for the filter in the first place.
However I haven't actually tested that, so I can't say conclusively.
Well my logic is probably flawed because everyone else seems to balance.

Reactions: DattaGroover
Here is very light photographic filter designed for Solo gimbals with Gopro which are sensitive for additional weight
ND4 or ND8 filer veight only 1.2gram!!!
http://greyfilter.webnode.cz/

Attachments

• 20140921_203647.jpg
    20140921_203647.jpg
    778.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20140921_203746.jpg
    20140921_203746.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 11

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics