Navigation lights

Reaction score
Hi forum, relatively new around here, but wanted to ask a question to all you wise folk. I have just got myself a 3dr solo. Been trying to read through some old posts to learn about what are worthy upgrades. Im really keen on some additional navigation lights, basically to help with visuals & spotting the solo.

I really liked Maddog's Brite Lites, however these are no longer available, does anyone have any ideas on something available thats similar to these and have the same effect?

Thanks for your help ☺

Although PolarPro's LED lights for 3DR Solo are no longer being made, you can still find them if you shop around online. They originally cost $30, but now are going for more, such as this dealer who is selling them for $40. Just be warned that you MUST do some DIY attaching, or they'll fall off in flight. I use Velcro straps on both ends of both light panels, and tape on the power plug. Also, if you use 3DR's Solo backpack, you'll have to carve some Styrofoam out for Solo to fit with the PolarPro LED's attached.

Hey Joe, cheers for the info. Ive had a look at these via Youtube review but what Im looking for is flashing strobe type lights, similar to aircraft lights that flash at different intervals.....? Anyone got any pointers?

I have a set that I like from firehousetechnology.com . Click on their 'drone' category. They aren't NEARLY as slick as the Bright Light [RIP] but they are functional and HIGHLY visible.

I’ve been tinkering (slowly) with a nav board for solo that attaches directly to the accessory bay.

It features an onboard strobe, along with 2 outputs for front, rear (or side) LED strips.

It’s all powered from the Vcc(batt) pins, fused and cleanly stepped down to 5v to run the ICs and LEDs - this ensures no additional drain is placed on the low voltage circuits of the Solo that supply critical systems such as flight controller, imx6, wi-fi etc.

I’ll post a pic soon if anyone is interested.

Reactions: NZ_Droned
This is it so far. Just need to add outputs for the LED strips and tidy up some placements and routes. (Should add some tactile buttons for on/off/mode select too I guess)

Solo Navboard v0.1
SoloNavBoard 2.PNG

I know it seems like a lot of components for a few LEDs, but really want to make sure the Solo circuits are kept clean and protected - also the MCU will ‘hopefully’ be programmable on the board for anyone keen to do so.

For anyone willing to do a little work themselves, Evan Designs has a large selection of lighting parts. I installed strobes, flashers, and LEDs from them. If you don't find something configured the way you want on their website, just reach out to them and they'll make want you want (I had them place all LEDs on one side of a strobe circuit so my LEDs flash together instead of flashing between them). Their website: Evan Designs: Small LED Lights For Your Hobby Projects

I’ve decided to ‘break out’ PWM6/7/8 on this board (would also require PWM’s to be connected internally as described here) and include support/option to control strobe modes with PWM7.

I might even break out USB in host mode too while I’m at it.

Reactions: jonbrotherton
Ive been having a look at the Firehouse Tech lights, and the Strobon Cree. The only thing I dont see is any mounts made for the 3DR. I guess you could use any? Ebay is good as I find being over here tricky to source parts. I also found some small mounts on a site called hypedphoto.com. Although the website server has a shady connection...Dont think they do international shipping either

Last edited:
I currently use the strobon v2 and LED strips front and back, all powered by a mini breakout PCB I made with just a ‘dodgy’ L7805 (5v linear regulator) which has worked fine, but is not ideal - the new board I’m tinkering with is really just a progression of that, moving to a switched power supply and strobe circuit components onboard.

I’ve decided to ‘break out’ PWM6/7/8 on this board (would also require PWM’s to be connected internally as described here) and include support/option to control strobe modes with PWM7.

I might even break out USB in host mode too while I’m at it.
Nice work on the nav board and glad to see you are including the PWMs and usb!
Would it be feasible to add a female accessory port so a breakout board can be stacked on it with standoffs?

Also I was looking at this Strobon V2 navigation light that can be controlled with PWM. Gonna get one make a nice mount for it.

Last edited:
Nice work on the nav board and glad to see you are including the PWMs and usb!
Would it be feasible to add a female accessory port so a breakout board can be stacked on it with standoffs?

Also I was looking at this Strobon V2 navigation light that can be controlled with PWM. Gonna get one make a nice mount for it.

Might be difficult, as the connector is a thru hole component so can't mount them 'back to back' would need to be offset - also would cover the strobe LED.

What ports are people mainly using? Maybe I should just breakout everything to a cluster of pin header pads.

Pin headers would work. With the PWMs normally one needs +5V and GND with it. It would be nice if the accessory bay was still completely usable with all the pins available with the nav board installed. I believe there will be more accessories coming up that can be added to Solo.

Yep, I'd have three pins for each PWM, - + S

Also going to include CAN bus and the 2 pins for I2C mod. Those along with USB are easy to add, will keep the board compact, and should cover the majority of use cases.

Hi jonbrotherton, I think I spotted your 3DR solo mod on youtube the other day? Does yours have skids?

Hi jonbrotherton, I think I spotted your 3DR solo mod on youtube the other day? Does yours have skids?
Yes those are the Tarot retracts and my custom mount for them has a bait drop in it and a spare gopro style mount. It is available on soloflies.com

i did eventually get around to progressing the NavBoard - in its most recent iteration it includes an on board strobe, a connector for a remote strobe (for the top of the drone) and a MavPixel listening to Telem2 and driving 4 sets of generic WS2812b's

SoloNavIO-3d.PNG
SoloNavIO-top.PNG
SoloNavIO-btm.PNG
have just received the latest set of prototype PCB's, so will add some 'real' images once i get things connected and running - BEC and Arduino are both black PCB's in real life :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela