NAB 2016 Post

See you had a great question
then derailed it by saying things that are your opinion
Lets be honest. Many people are using the gimbal without issue.... Sorry
And in case your search feature is broken, there are tons of very professional level videos shot with solo on you tube

Ok, I was thinking of rewind as more of a smart shot, which it's not. Smart shots (MPCC) fly a bit of a spline through waypoints, so you're not precisely hitting the points. I was thinking rewind could be used to refly a specific path exactly. But that's probably just not the use case it was designed for.

I get very small vibrations on mine, but nothing stabilization in post can't take care of. Can you show an example of jello from a Solo gimbal? I've honestly never seen that. People *are* using the Solo for professional work, and if your needs are that advanced, you're really looking at a $10,000 and up drone + camera, the Solo is a grand and a GoPro. It's unfair and a little absurd to be THAT demanding of a system that costs 10% what is likely being used for the work you're presumably referring to.

As a professional videographer, I agree with Moreno. The GoPro lacks dynamic range, does not have the image data to allow meaningful color grading, and fisheye correction--even when executed optimally--still leaves a distorted image. Not to say I don't love my Solo. Just that we can't use it for clients who want high production value. We use our GH4 on a DJI for that.

Technology costs always come down. If Solo offered a gimbal for the Black Magic, or if GoPro completely changed their sensor and lens, we would have it all for a couple thousand dollars.

As a professional videographer, I agree with Moreno. The GoPro lacks dynamic range, does not have the image data to allow meaningful color grading, and fisheye correction--even when executed optimally--still leaves a distorted image. Not to say I don't love my Solo. Just that we can't use it for clients who want high production value. We use our GH4 on a DJI for that.

Technology costs always come down. If Solo offered a gimbal for the Black Magic, or if GoPro completely changed their sensor and lens, we would have it all for a couple thousand dollars.

Forgive me, I am a little confused...

You say that the GoPro is not good for high production value yet you say you do it through a DJI. How is using a different drone with the same camera any different? o_O

GoPro has been used on $60 million+ Hollywood productions. If your budget exceeds this, you could always rent a helicopter. I get that it isn't the best camera ever, but it can be good enough for a lot more than you seem to give it credit for (Hollywood studios provide meaningful color grading). If you don't like the lens, Peau Products can fix that for you (again for less than $60 million). The fault you are putting on GoPro may belong a little further down the line. I am not saying that you are a crappy grader or that I could do better, but that it is possible to get better out of it. That Blackmagic micro has nice features, but it isn't the best camera ever either. Certainly, the DJI isn't.

What DJI product is carrying a GH4?? Matrice 100, Spreading wings? Neither are at the price point of a Solo or the Phantom line.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
GoPro has been used on $60 million+ Hollywood productions. If your budget exceeds this, you could always rent a helicopter.

Agreed. I totally don't get pointing out the deficiencies of a $400 camera when it comes to high-end, high-dollar work that can tolerate no compromises. If those are your requirements, you're looking at systems costing in the 10's of thousands of dollars, not $1500. I wouldn't criticize a $300 Intel Atom tablet for not being able to handle high-end 3D modeling/rendering work, which is pretty much similar reasoning to this.

I assume he's referring to the Panasonic GH4 DSLR at the end, which is $1600 just for the body, again, highlighting the absurdity of the comparison.

Last edited:
Very impressed ! Can't wait .. ! Not naming the tower users with solo.: use as a plugging for mapping pros!! Even more with site scan.. 3DR

3DR hasn't over stated there updates too much in the past, so we should expect the same now.
Can't think of any updates that they sent out that wasn't ready for most users?
As for the Hero 5?
I may have read 3DR's support for GP's new cam, but not 100% sure?
I think it Bus, "Connections" on the back may differ & dimensions "Size" ? So there may be more then just "Weight" difference.

I my self would like to be able to shoot in 5k or 6k. Many benefits.
But since GP hasn't reveled any thing really new @ there NAB display
"No H5 or Drone" I think we won't know to much until the covers are off.

I'd just like to have a better 4K. Say 60fps, or dare I dream 120fps. Higher capture rate, better image quality?

It's also time for that fisheye lens to change and be more adaptable. Zooming would be. Nice, but selecting different FOV in 4K shouldn't be a stretch.

One wonders down the track if they are going down the corporate road what will happen to the domestic support ? One does think about what is going to happen after the next couple of updates with the promised new smart shots?, is that the last of it then or what?
Hope not, I must admit competition must be savage but at what level I can only think of about 4 other machines that are competitive a lot more have promised but they haven't eventuated.

John, I always wonder who One is?

Can you help?

Forgive me, I am a little confused...

You say that the GoPro is not good for high production value yet you say you do it through a DJI. How is using a different drone with the same camera any different? o_O
He clearly states that he is using a GH4...

i've only seen jello on a solo that had one of of the dampening balls popped out. i have never seen jello on properly installed, fully functioning gimbal.

the NAB complainers are hilarious. solo announces something new and innovative and they respond with 3 things that solo doesn't have or doesn't do. the bitching, the moaning...it's tiresome. it really is. with mpcc and now with these new software features announced, 3dr has effectively given its users a new version of solo for free. if this was any other manufacturer, you would have to pay for a new bird. instead of acknowledging this, you complain because there isn't a bigger battery. and if someone offered a bigger battery that costs $200 you would complain about the price. and so on and so forth.

and let's be honest, most people complaining about no new camera are only using the gopro to 25% of its potential, are not even using smart shots creatively and to be quite frank, are lackluster photographers. i'm not sure what they think a new camera is going to do for them.

i for one, am excited about the new software features as well as the hardware announcements such as the lidar, tether and the flir gimbal.
Love this response! Well said!

He clearly states that he is using a GH4...

Yes, acronyms can cross over sometimes. Someone kindly pointed out it was probably the Panasonic and not the GoPro Hero 4. You can clearly see where the misunderstanding could arise. ;)

i've only seen jello on a solo that had one of of the dampening balls popped out. i have never seen jello on properly installed, fully functioning gimbal.

the NAB complainers are hilarious. solo announces something new and innovative and they respond with 3 things that solo doesn't have or doesn't do. the bitching, the moaning...

and let's be honest, most people complaining about no new camera are only using the gopro to 25% of its potential, are not even using smart shots creatively and to be quite frank, are lackluster photographers. i'm not sure what they think a new camera is going to do for them.

I'm glad you're excited about the new software. So am I. Is it possible to respond to other people's comments in a way that is helpful, rather than criticizing them? One of the problems of forums in general is when people try to be right, rather than helpful. Your jumping to the conclusion, for example, that most people on this forum are lackluster photographers or that they are complainers doesn't address the issues. Instead, it just demeans other people--and for me in particular, makes me not want to participate. Please debate the issues based upon facts, not based upon attributions about other people whom you don't even know. Thanks for giving this some thought.

I'm glad you're excited about the new software. So am I. Is it possible to respond to other people's comments in a way that is helpful, rather than criticizing them? One of the problems of forums in general is when people try to be right, rather than helpful. Your jumping to the conclusion, for example, that most people on this forum are lackluster photographers or that they are complainers doesn't address the issues. Instead, it just demeans other people--and for me in particular, makes me not want to participate. Please debate the issues based upon facts, not based upon attributions about other people whom you don't even know. Thanks for giving this some thought.

Amen. The Internet has cost communications, and politeness and much more.

I've been busy and absent a month or two

Good to see things here are still lively ! :)

. I can't wait to fire up the solo again and try out mpcc more than my single 5m test flight when it came out. All this new software for my existing investment is what I signed up for in my original research.

Sure I'll take bigger motors/batteries/cameras if that happens. I had no illusions though. If 3drs direction ends up where the money is as the legal aspects loosen up, but I get the benefit of advanced software on my consumer drone. Yay!

Sure I'd like a cinestar for $1k. It's a bit longer wait.

So before too long it's going to follow my path down the slopes on skis more smoothly, follow my path, and adjust altitude? Wow.

Zip line point of focus flybys? Yes please

I've had it on the snow and that will make a world of difference.

Reactions: Tamj
...So before too long it's going to follow my path down the slopes on skis more smoothly, follow my path, and adjust altitude? Wow.

Zip line point of focus flybys? Yes please

I've had it on the snow and that will make a world of difference.

It's been a long time between drinks Timmytimetravel.

I presume you're looking to fly Solo in the Kosciusko National Park ski resorts this coming season? If so, and you haven't already looked at the 'Drones in Parks Policy', have a look here. Drones in Parks Policy | NSW Environment & Heritage

Basically it says approval to fly is required before hand. I think that if you where outside the resorts it would be fine to fly provided you are 5.5km away from the resort's helipads (the usual CASA guidelines). I too would give Solo a shot on the slopes if allowed.

Cheers
Nikos

No optical flow sensor at this year's NAB. And though I could care less about obstacle avoidance, I would like to be able to fly indoors or in areas where I couldn't pick up GPS.
There is optical flow, 3DR have simply decided not to make it themselves but instead are putting out the 3D file to print the housing and the parts are off the shelf components. Details are due to be posted this week.

In the meantime the beta that's going on at the moment merges in Arducopter 3.3 providing Solo with a lot more functionality it can tap into including optical flow.

There is optical flow, 3DR have simply decided not to make it themselves but instead are putting out the 3D file to print the housing and the parts are off the shelf components. Details are due to be posted this week.

In the meantime the beta that's going on at the moment merges in Arducopter 3.3 providing Solo with a lot more functionality it can tap into including optical flow.

Well that's pretty exciting news. How do you know this to be true. It would seem to me, if I was that close last week at NAB I would have announced this at NAB.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44